News Destination D23 2023

Kamikaze

Hello, coming from the DL forums so apologies if my question is dumb.

I know one of the big rumors for this weekend is Zootopia coming to AK (which I think is a huge mistake and antithetical to the thesis of the park), and people are suspecting it'll likely take over Dinoland, but can someone explain to me what about Dinoland has people wanting to keep it around? Is it DINOSAUR? Is it Dinorama? I can't crack it from my POV. I visited Animal Kingdom last month for the first time and was underwhelmed with that entire section of the park so I'm not sure if I'm missing something.
They're delusional about how 'good' the area is. Especially the ride.

Figments Friend

In my Resort room now…..

Do I really want to watch Josh or not..?

IMG_1774.jpeg

James Alucobond

Hello, coming from the DL forums so apologies if my question is dumb.

I know one of the big rumors for this weekend is Zootopia coming to AK (which I think is a huge mistake and antithetical to the thesis of the park), and people are suspecting it'll likely take over Dinoland, but can someone explain to me what about Dinoland has people wanting to keep it around? Is it DINOSAUR? Is it Dinorama? I can't crack it from my POV. I visited Animal Kingdom last month for the first time and was underwhelmed with that entire section of the park so I'm not sure if I'm missing something.
I don't think most people are too fussed over Dinorama; that was always more or less filler. But there's nothing wrong with the Boneyard, Restaurantosaurus, and Dinosaur as a mini-land. It's more that it's perfectly serviceable, so why expend budget there instead of expanding?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
If the plan is to gut Dinosaur (and likely purge all the animatronics and sets), why not just take the major assets that would remain (the ride vehicles and the track), move them to DHS, and build the DL Indiana Jones around the saved assets leaving a fully gutted building for a Zootopia ride with a purpose built ride system? (I mean, I'm still not a fan of the idea of Zootopia in DAK, but it seems like a better idea than trying to make a Zootopia ride with the Dinosaur ride system)

Starship824

In the Parks
No
If the plan is to gut Dinosaur (and likely purge all the animatronics and sets), why not just take the major assets that would remain (the ride vehicles and the track), move them to DHS, and build the DL Indiana Jones around the saved assets leaving a fully gutted building for a Zootopia ride with a purpose built ride system? (I mean, I'm still not a fan of the idea of Zootopia in DAK, but it seems like a better idea than trying to make a Zootopia ride with the Dinosaur ride system)
At that point, just build Zootopia in Hollywood studios instead

doctornick

At that point, just builds Zootopia in Hollywood studios instead
Or honestly if they are hell bent on putting it in DAK, just build a clone of the entire Shanghai land in DAK in a new area and leave Dinoland alone (Moana/Oceania can still replace the Dinorama part).

I don’t really see any cost effectiveness in replacing Dinosaur with the Zootopia ride. Either you’re gutting and starting anew with a completely different ride system. Or you are using the current ride system which defeats a lot of value in cloning. And you still have to spend money to retheme the rest of Dinoland. Is that really dramatic cheaper than building new?

Seems to me the only real cynical cost savings is not having to operate an extra ride. Even though DAK needs more net attractions. 🙄

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating….

I have serious doubts that any major announcements will be made as far as the Parks go.
The Dest-D Events just do not typically do this…it’s usually more small scale.
Whatever newsworthy announcements are in the pipeline will be saved for the big media splash that is the D23 Expo next year.
That is when the major projects are announced and other projects are showcased.

Well, except that one time when Bob Chapek was doing a presentation at the Expo and the ONLY time he showed any true excitement at all when the Target mascot ‘Bullseye’ the dog came on stage.
Yeah…
Remember that?
Priceless moment….and so Bob.
🥴

Anyway…
I fully expect low key ‘announcements’ at Dest-D this weekend and perhaps a confirmation or two regarding things we already know are happening.
Small scale stuff, but still things we will probably be glad to get some additional insight into.

Temper expections.

Secretly hoping the Epcot panel will be excellent.
The allure of material supposedly unearthed from Marty Sklar’s archive makes it sound promising.
After the Epcot panel, they are inviting us all over to the Park…for something special…
✨

-

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

As someone who really enjoys Mission: Space, I wouldn't mind a video upgrade. Feels like I'm watching something on Windows 2000 / XP. (Given when it opened it might still be running on that operating system).
I felt the same having experienced Dinosaur for the first time a few weeks ago. Video sequences felt like a PS3 cutscene

Disstevefan1

As someone who really enjoys Mission: Space, I wouldn't mind a video upgrade. Feels like I'm watching something on Windows 2000 / XP. (Given when it opened it might still be running on that operating system).
Totally agree updates always welcome.

And believe it or not, what you see today is an upgrade from what was there initially.

Another poster recommended changing the missions, also a good idea.

How about make they change the screens to touch screens, each team can pick their mission, majority rules, a la Horizons. It would be a cool tribute.

But, yes, they must keep updating as the technology advances.

SamusAranX

They're delusional about how 'good' the area is. Especially the ride.
Ah I didn’t realize your opinion was the end all, be all.

Besides the ride I don’t care too much for the land but others do and more power to them.

So, back at ya, you’re ‘delusional’ thinking you can make a final judgement on something as subjective as what’s good or not.

dennis-in-ct

Yeah, presumably a Great Movie Ride situation where they gut the building and replace it with a new ride system. Assuming it actually happens.

Unless they intend to not actually make an exact 1:1 clone and just a loose adaptation using the existing ride system. No idea if they would do it, but they've done it before.

And if they did use the Dinosaur ride system to create the zootopia ride, would that violate the "ride exclusive rights" that people say Shanghai has on "Zootopia: Hot Pursuit Attraction" as the Animal Kingdom version would be it's own "new" ride.

Kamikaze

Ah I didn’t realize your opinion was the end all, be all.

Besides the ride I don’t care too much for the land but others do and more power to them.

So, back at ya, you’re ‘delusional’ thinking you can make a final judgement on something as subjective as what’s good or not.
Yeah, here's the thing: You can easily rate a ride against its peers. That makes it much less than subjective. If you're taking one person's opinion, sure, but when you take thousands or tens of thousands of opinions and they all rate Dinosaur low (and it ALWAYS ranks low on Disney surveys), then its not a good attraction.

MagicHappens1971

And if they did use the Dinosaur ride system to create the zootopia ride, would that violate the "ride exclusive rights" that people say Shanghai has on "Zootopia: Hot Pursuit Attraction" as the Animal Kingdom version would be it's own "new" ride.
We have no reason to believe this attraction will have an exclusivity agreement.

The attractions built at Tokyo Disney, HKDL and Shanghai do not just have an exclusivity agreement by default.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

Where did you hear/see that?
I edited my post to elaborate on the fact that the attractions built in the Asian parks that have co-ownership/etc do not by default have an exclusivity agreement.

We have seen nothing to imply that this attraction will feature an exclusivity agreement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom