News Destination D23 2023

doctornick

I would say the DAK & MK blue sky concept was the attempt at making some substantial announcements when they had none.

But that's the point. They should have had substantial plans greenlit and ready to announce in 2022. Especially with Epic Universe being built. It's not like that D23 was a surprise - they should have been appropriately prepared to have announcements of substance.

MagicHappens1971

But that's the point. They should have had substantial plans greenlit and ready to announce in 2022. Especially with Epic Universe being built. It's not like that D23 was a surprise - they should have been appropriately prepared to have announcements of substance.
I don't mean to sound abrasive or rude, but they DO NOT care about Epic Universe. This is evident in every single decision Bob(s) and Co have made regarding the parks in the past 2-3 years.
I would say the DAK & MK blue sky concept was the attempt at making some substantial announcements when they had none.
I agree. Now is the time to make a solid announcement and break some ground, especially with the dwindling attendance numbers and Disney's construction pace.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
I feel like ever since 2017, these events have been nothing but announcements of replacements for attractions. Last year's D23 was merely a death threat to Dinosaur, but still, can't we add something new without replacing something? I was so glad to be in WDW when they announced Great Movie Ride closing—it gave me a chance to experience it knowing it would be my last time. I haven't been back to WDW since (not out of bitterness—though I am bitter—but because of lack of opportunity).

I want these fan events to make me excited about what's coming...not disappoint me about what they're taking away! Use that Walt-given "blessing of size."

MagicHappens1971

Oh, I agree. I think they are idiots for thinking so.
I don’t think it’s the most logical thought process in their part either, but I also have posted several times how I do not think EU will be the final nail in Disneys coffin. It will be Disneys doing.

Universal still buy and large caters to families with older children and thrill seekers. While Nintendo & HTTYD will be a big draw of EU, all of these attractions will still have some sort of height limit. I think if that new regional park Universal was planning got built in Orlando, it may draw more people away from Disney.

On the other side of this conversation is that while most of us can agree that the Disney “brand” is wounded at the moment, it will bounce back, and Universal doesn’t and will never have the nostalgia and legacy of the some of the most iconic characters created in the last century.

EU will bring more visitors to Orlando for sure, how many they “steal” from Disney will be something that time will tell.

Squishy

Reasonably I’d expect a new nighttime parade and probably a confirmation/elaboration of the Bluesky plans announced last year.

That’s just my opinion. Maybe something for Studios as well if they’re feeling generous
The description of the panel makes the impression of to not expect anything exciting, pretty sure even 2021's Destination D23 had a better description.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
What I’m more curious about is if the parade is currently under construction because it would be surprising that nothing has leaked about it yet.
That’s because Disney has gotten smart and started proactively showing things to all of the people who used to leak them while making them swear to keep it a secret if they want to see more in the future

doctornick

I don’t think it’s the most logical thought process in their part either, but I also have posted several times how I do not think EU will be the final nail in Disneys coffin. It will be Disneys doing.

Universal still buy and large caters to families with older children and thrill seekers. While Nintendo & HTTYD will be a big draw of EU, all of these attractions will still have some sort of height limit. I think if that new regional park Universal was planning got built in Orlando, it may draw more people away from Disney.

On the other side of this conversation is that while most of us can agree that the Disney “brand” is wounded at the moment, it will bounce back, and Universal doesn’t and will never have the nostalgia and legacy of the some of the most iconic characters created in the last century.

EU will bring more visitors to Orlando for sure, how many they “steal” from Disney will be something that time will tell.

I don't think EU will "kill" WDW or anything. WDW will still be the big dog in the market and theme parks and family vacations in general. But I think it is exceedingly foolish for Disney not to recognize that EU will negatively impact WDW. We are already seeing signs of weakening of WDW attendance and it appears that all the loss of perks combined with increased costs (nickel and diming) has left a negative impression of WDW for many - not enough to destroy visitation but certainly to lessen it.

It's the perfect time for Uni to come up with a something shiny and new which also helps to make Uni a very complete vacation destination on its own - three parks, a water park and some lesser but present recreational activities with City Walk (e.g. minigolf). Plus there's also some opportunities to do Sea World and other non Uni stuff easily if desired without having to switch hotels or have laborious transportation.

I do agree that Uni hasn't really done anything/enough to capture the preschool market and that's probably the biggest failing with their parks (having just a few more all ages rides on the scale of ET would make a big difference) as that is still solidly in WDW's corner. But once kids even get to later Elementary schools years and certainly by the tween years, Uni is a very solid replacement option for WDW - and is cheaper, less crowded, and easier/more spontaneous/less work.

2024-25 is going to be lean years for WDW especially if Tiana doesn't capture hearts and minds (and I suspect it won't and will be viewed as inferior to Splash by many in the public). They really need something to counteract the hype for EU and given the timeframe, their best bet is to lean heavy into entertainment with parades and fireworks/nighttime entertainment as it is (along with family/pre-school attractions) one area where Disney has a decisive edge over Uni.

Honestly, I think they need a light parade at MK, a daytime parade at DHS and a return for something in the water at night at DAK. All that should be rolling out in the next year or so but we'll see if TDO or Burbank agrees (I don't think they do).

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Oddly coincidental, then, that Disney's current marketing/ad push is about "thrills". ;)

Outside of that, I agree with most of the points posted above. EU will not be a "Disney-killer", but it will give families a viable option for their entire vacation stay instead of making Universal a side trip. 3-5 days at Uni parks, add on a day or two at Sea World/Legoland/a beach/Cape Canaveral/etc. (logistics of needing a car for activities outside of Orlando aside), and it seems like an enticing alternative to the Bob Brand©. And with Disney seemingly unable to get out of its own way and/or stop shooting itself in the foot, they would be foolish to do nothing but expect Tiana's Salt Mine to keep people interested. Blue sky announcements don't generate vacation buy-ins. But... Bob. Blue Ocean. End of story.

Surferboy567

2024-25 is going to be lean years for WDW especially if Tiana doesn't capture hearts and minds (and I suspect it won't and will be viewed as inferior to Splash by many in the public). They really need something to counteract the hype for EU and given the timeframe, their best bet is to lean heavy into entertainment with parades and fireworks/nighttime entertainment as it is (along with family/pre-school attractions) one area where Disney has a decisive edge over Uni.

Honestly, I think they need a light parade at MK, a daytime parade at DHS and a return for something in the water at night at DAK. All that should be rolling out in the next year or so but we'll see if TDO or Burbank agrees (I don't think they do).
They need rides/lands. A big investment is what is required.

MagicHappens1971

Absolutely. There should be walls up now and building going on. But in the shorter term, they at least need to get some now parades/fireworks/entertainment going on to have "something" to advertise in the next year or two.
Beyond Big Thunder should’ve broken ground immediately, especially since it would cause little to zero disruption to the parks daily operation.

DAK should’ve broken ground on something actually brand new and then when that opened, if they still wanted to go ahead with the Dinoland retheme, that would be the time.

But I digress because here we are. I keep hoping that they will do something with Animation Courtyard as well, but doubtful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom