News Destination D23 2023

Vegas Disney Fan

I think that many people have this idea about the Disney brand:

"Disney's customers are LOYAL and loving. Their support is unwavering and rock soild. Their dedication to the Disney brand runs deep and is passed down through each generation. Disney customers will ALWAYS be there to support the company"

I think all of that is true… but that doesn’t mean we don’t have a breaking point. Disney controls their own destiny, as long as they put out a quality product at a reasonable price they’ll never have a shortage of loyal customers, the problem recently is they’re overpriced and they’re putting out questionable quality products.

The only company I can think of that has the same level of loyalty is Apple. The only way they’ll lose guests is by their own actions.

Bocabear

Seems like EU is going to be richly themed though it is early to tell. Their new resorts are also going to be themed, though the level at this point is unsure. The newer Disney resorts and additions are all going away from richly themed interiors and more towards a "Marriott Anytown USA" model... Is this what customers want? I tend to think no...I think what began the whole thing was the Disney difference... not content with "nice hotel" and more about a thematic environment...staying in the magic meaning immersion, not proximity. I do not believe that WDW would have been able to build their market share by doing "anywhere Hotels" and lackluster themed attractions...but it seems like they are headed that direction lately.
Yes, Disney has a huge book of IP to play with, but for some reason they are chasing down IP to purchase... No longer thinking about original attractions and experiences...
If EU gets a hit with the Universal Monsters area, it will show Disney something about reviving old IP...it doesn't have to be the newest flavor to bring in crowds...

osian

Seems like EU is going to be richly themed though it is early to tell. Their new resorts are also going to be themed, though the level at this point is unsure. The newer Disney resorts and additions are all going away from richly themed interiors and more towards a "Marriott Anytown USA" model... Is this what customers want? I tend to think no...I think what began the whole thing was the Disney difference... not content with "nice hotel" and more about a thematic environment...staying in the magic meaning immersion, not proximity. I do not believe that WDW would have been able to build their market share by doing "anywhere Hotels" and lackluster themed attractions...but it seems like they are headed that direction lately.
Indeed. Here are some pics of mine from on-site hotels at German theme parks I've visited (that's the shower enclosure in a pirate-themed hotel, the main room in a Roman-themed hotel, and the bunk beds in a Chinese-themed hotel). It's a world away from Disney hotels. It really does feel like magic when you stay in hotels like these.

photo0036-jpg.729430

P1010276.JPG
P1010277.JPG

P1010195.JPG

Attachments

• Photo0036.jpg
    Photo0036.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 966

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You kind of have to admire the grapefruits it takes to stand on stage in front of the most loyal Disney fans around and say, "Let me tell you why you love us so much." And to announce beforehand that that's what the presentation will be and know that people will still fork over cash for the chance.to be in the room while you do it? They don't make skinny jeans that can hold those bad boys.

I cannot like this comment enough. :)

There should be a drinking game around the new buzzwords Disney loves to throw out, both in announcements and in presentations. We'd all be hammered within 15 minutes.

"Boundless" is one word I'd love to see stricken from their lexicon. Storytelling. Unmatched. I'm sure there are a dozen more.

Chip Chipperson

I cannot like this comment enough. :)

There should be a drinking game around the new buzzwords Disney loves to throw out, both in announcements and in presentations. We'd all be hammered within 15 minutes.

"Boundless" is one word I'd love to see stricken from their lexicon. Storytelling. Unmatched. I'm sure there are a dozen more.
Hopefully "Blue Sky" doesn't become a permanent member of that list.

Bocabear

Well since they cancelled most of what was announced at the last D23, there seems to be little to talk about... Cotino in Palm Desert?
Moana? I think the less said about this disastrous EPCOT makeover the better...
Blue Sky is a waste of time as they have no real plans to do any of that...just filler.

I am still a D23 member, but I have stopped going to the events that seem to be more and more about less and less...
The event in Anaheim used to be so much fun... I don't got to D23 to hear about new DVC expansion and streaming services....and certainly not to know why I am a fan... We don't need a fan rally, we need to know the basics of what is going on and what amazing new addition is next.....

michmousefan

I also went to a few of the Expos (last one for me was 2019), and always had a fun time — of course part of that was getting to play at Disneyland/DCA as well as the various Expo features.
Have to think with the recent cuts and rollbacks in terms of D23 staff that the 2024 D23 Expo isn't going to happen. I would imagine that if they were going to hold the event next year the Anaheim Convention Center has to be booked by now, so unless they are planning to announce the event at Destination D23, they might cancel the Expo outright or punt it to 2025 or later.

Surferboy567

I also went to a few of the Expos (last one for me was 2019), and always had a fun time — of course part of that was getting to play at Disneyland/DCA as well as the various Expo features.
Have to think with the recent cuts and rollbacks in terms of D23 staff that the 2024 D23 Expo isn't going to happen. I would imagine that if they were going to hold the event next year the Anaheim Convention Center has to be booked by now, so unless they are planning to announce the event at Destination D23, they might cancel the Expo outright or punt it to 2025 or later.
Details are typically announced in January according to my research. I think we will get one in 2024. I plan on attending (hopefully) as my first D23.

TrainsOfDisney

Details are typically announced in January according to my research. I think we will get one in 2024. I plan on attending (hopefully) as my first D23.
In the past, they would announce the next expo the last day of the previous expo. I remember hearing “save the date” announcements. Of course that was prior to Covid so they may not look that far into the future anymore.

Surferboy567

In the past, they would announce the next expo the last day of the previous expo. I remember hearing “save the date” announcements. Of course that was prior to Covid so they may not look that far into the future anymore.
In the sorry state we are in terms of announcements, I can’t imagine not having a D23 to make some headlines. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking though.

Surferboy567

I was thinking about this topic again. I’d say if we don’t get an announcement by September 10th (the last day of Destination D23) then I’d worry more about next year’s supposed D23 Expo.

I believe this next D23 is going to be essential to Disney’s business.
  1. We have no new projects post Tiana’s Bayou Adventure (if you even count that as new)
  2. Follow-Up on announcements (or ideas) made that have had no traction (Avatar at DL, Avengers at DCA, Bluesky Ideas)
  3. I refuse to believe Disney won’t build at least one new addition. Sure, they have missed the boat on getting something up and running for Epic Universe (unless they start now) but surely their has to be something significant in the pipeline.
  4. These expo’s are also huge for marketing of newly announced films/shows I’d doubt they would give that up.
If they don’t have a D23 next year, I believe that would be disastrous for the business (not that they seem to care). I also believe visitation would decrease because nothing new seems to be on the horizon. It would also put a damper on those (such as myself and most reading this I’d wager) who speculate on such things. Not having a D23 would also throw all parks projects off having another year or two of no new announcement essentially creating a domino effect.

Last edited:

bcoachable

As I scroll through this post, it has occurred to me that the D23 announcements have turned Disney into “The Boy Who Cried Wolf”. I certainly won’t believe anything they announce during any fan based get together until I am actually am in a line to ride. Maybe THAT Aesop Fable could be the next box office hit? They are pretty good at telling that story….

Last edited:

BrianLo

D23 2022 was announced exactly one year before and tickets went on sale in January. TransOfDisney is also right that historically there was always a "we'll be back" announcement afterwards. Though this was never an actual date that was announced and it did shift from July to Sept in 2019.

My long explanation of saying I suspect it will be announced in September. I don't think main D23 is at risk of going anywhere as it also is a massive media event for the Studios. Though I guess there could be hesitancy about the strikes I suppose... but we'll have bigger problems if Hollywood is on strike in September 2024 than just D23.

I'm purely guessing that it will be held September 6, 7 and 8; 2024.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom