Destination D23 2021

mattpeto

This is going to be a weird angle…

I gotta say I am very surprised about maintaining cavalcades once the daytime parade returns. I have always been on the “parades will be back!” and went to war with many that said they are extinct forever. In fact, somebody owes me a charity donation at another forum over this bet but he’s gone dark on me…

But being a parade fan, I have to say something is a little bit unsettling about keeping the cavalcades around. I still believe that eventually, one of these entertainment avenues might get chopped. I probably would feel more at ease with the cavalcade continuing at other parks (DHS-AK-E) but this new cavalcade is at least starting at MK.

I think there will always be a demand for a parade (even at paid events) but I do hope they stick around forever.

Animaniac93-98

I gotta say I am very surprised about maintaining cavalcades once the daytime parade returns. I have always been on the “parades will be back!” and went to war with many that said they are extinct forever. In fact, somebody owes me a charity donation at another forum over this bet but he’s gone dark on me…

But being a parade fan, I have to say something is a little bit unsettling about keeping the cavalcades around. I still believe that eventually, one of these entertainment avenues might get chopped. I probably would feel more at ease with the cavalcade continuing at other parks (DHS-AK-E) but this new cavalcade is at least starting at MK.

I think there will always be a demand for a parade (even at paid events) but I do hope they stick around forever.

They were running "move it shake it" along with FoF pre-COVID, so I don't necessarily see this as being too different.

peter11435

Don’t be worried. Cavalcades won’t replace parades. They are popular in their own right and serve a couple important purposes.

wutisgood

In any case the world economy has bad indicators flashing off the charts and Disney would prob rather announce basically nothing because they likely know how bad it is. The recent parties being so expensive might be a strategy to to suck up as much money as possible before everything dumps.

TrainsOfDisney

We have a $450 million coaster opening in about 6 months.
The fact that Epcot spent $450 million on a marvel coaster is not a positive in my opinion.

'has become' it always was that.
I disagree. The destination d event I went to on the world’s fair had amazing presentations with Marty S., Tony B., and Bob G. along with worlds fair historians adventurers club performance, comedy warehouse performance, etc.

This is so much fluff and hype. Not at all what Destination D used to be. Imho of course.

mysto

The fact that Epcot spent $450 million on a marvel coaster is not a positive in my opinion.

Microsoft will buy the rights to Marvel (inside theme parks in Florida only) forcing Disney to re-theme the coaster to Song of the South.

Mr. Mysto has spoken.

DoleWhipDrea

I really like that they're going to have both.

At Disneyland (pre-pandemic, of course), the characters would just walk about, and was a delightful surprise when you came across Peter Pan who was trying to recruit lost boys and girls. Or Mary Poppins decides to ride the carousel with you. Some of my favorite memories of the parks come from these chance encounters. It's not like there weren't any lines that would form to meet characters at the parks, but it was a little more casual and spontaneous (though a CM can tell you where Tigger will be and when.)

I understand that this was tried at WDW but had a very different reaction from the guests, to the point that it just wasn't safe to let the characters wander and do their thing, which is why WDW created meet and greets generally requiring fastpasses. I understand the appeal of having one-on-one meets with characters, but they're just not as organic to me, and I'd rather wait in line for a ride. I would like to be able to see characters as I walk through the parks, though. I don't want to linger as the crowding gets really overwhelming.

By having a little bit of everything as a means to see and/or meet the characters, the guest wins, as they have options.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Agreed considering that Velocicoaster cost roughly less then half of that.
Let’s not go comparing generic outdoor coasters with a couple of Dino statues to a giant indoor omnimover coaster with a reverse launch and potentially a lot more thematic elements both in queue and in ride (hopefully) unlike velocicoaster.

I sincerely hope this coaster is better than velocicoaster.

Casper Gutman

Let’s not go comparing generic outdoor coasters with a couple of Dino statues to a giant indoor omnimover coaster with a reverse launch and potentially a lot more thematic elements both in queue and in ride (hopefully) unlike velocicoaster.

I mean, calling Velo generic is a real stretch - it has a great deal of landscaping and is masterfully integrated into its setting. I'd argue that, from the outside, Velo is more pleasing then the GotG monolith. From the artwork released at Destination today its queue theming is at least comparable to GotG. The thematic elements in GotG seem to be limited to screens and projection effects that play alongside your vehicle as it continues to move - from what insiders are saying, there is nary an AA to be found, which actually puts it behind Velo, which has some basic AAs in the queue.

I'm looking forward to GotG more then I was to Velo, but the gulf between the two isn't as great as some might make it out, and it certainly isn't $250 million or so.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!

Velocicoaster is far from generic, in the queue, the ride system, and the ride itself. It was also masterfully integrated into the land.

Universal hit a home run with that one, something everyone but the most ardent Pixie Dusters admit.

VJ

So... instead of the Disney Cruise Line panel, the Destination D23 stream is just showing an hour of Disney Wish promotional videos, bookended by ads.

Makes total sense.

castlecake2.0

Velocicoaster is far from generic, in the queue, the ride system, and the ride itself. It was also masterfully integrated into the land.

Universal hit a home run with that one, something everyone but the most ardent Pixie Dusters admit.
Masterfully integrated? It’s a giant exposed roller coaster that almost goes through HP world. It’s a good coaster but I wouldn’t say it’s well integrated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom