Destination D23 2021

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Just come out and say coasters aren’t really my thing.
Coasters are my thing if they are thematic. Hagrid's, Everest, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain... Over at Dollywood, the firetruck coaster and the sawmill coaster ring bells too.

Generic coasters are just boring to me, I've ridden them so many times that "new" roller coasters with no theming have nothing to offer for me. So Intimidator, Hulk, and the lack of AA's and theming for Velocicoaster make my heart die a little.

EricsBiscuit

Let’s not go comparing generic outdoor coasters with a couple of Dino statues to a giant indoor omnimover coaster with a reverse launch and potentially a lot more thematic elements both in queue and in ride (hopefully) unlike velocicoaster.

I sincerely hope this coaster is better than velocicoaster.
You will probably be disappointed. Velocicoaster kicks serious posterior. It is objectively one of the best coasters in the world and is easily one of the two best coasters in Central Florida, right next to Hagrid’s.

Touchdown

Generic coasters are just boring to me, I've ridden them so many times that "new" roller coasters with no theming have nothing to offer for me.
That’s the part I don’t understand, there is a limit to the amount of times I want to do non interactive dark rides a day, any more after 2ish times in a day and it’s just not going to thrill me.

On the other hand, I have ridden on Magnum XL 200 at least 500 times in my life and that’s an under count, it’s probably closer to 1000 then 500 (20 years of going to Cedar Point, most multiple times a year with an average of at least 5 laps per day.) It has no theming, but is scenically located on the shores of Lake Erie, I have my favorite seat (back car, first row, right side, due to leg length) and I know exactly where every pop of negative air and positive g is, and the only thing that is variable on that ride is if the mid course break is on. If I could fit that coaster in my backyard and could afford to operate it I would ride that ride every day and still never get sick of it, because I love the ejector air it has.

The attraction to coasters are the forces they exert on your body, while there is absolutely an added thrill to not knowing when they come, even after you have ridden a ride to know its every querk the forces still thrill.

When I talk about being jaded it’s because I’ve ridden enough rides that I can usually anticipate what’s going to happen a moment before it does even on a ride I haven’t ridden. Veliciocoaster’s second half is taken with such speed, and has so many unique elements that I couldn’t anticipate that first time. While the ride is too intense for me to do a 30 ride in a row marathon (without getting off) like I’ve done on Magnum once that thing is on express, I anticipate it joining MIB and the Mummy on my “there is never to many laps I can do on this ride” list, which usually results in 3-5 laps per day.

UNCgolf

That’s the part I don’t understand, there is a limit to the amount of times I want to do non interactive dark rides a day, any more after 2ish times in a day and it’s just not going to thrill me.

I'm the exact opposite -- I could happily ride a great dark ride repeatedly, but coasters just kind of bore me if they aren't full of elaborate theming.

themarchhare

I second the opinion that GOTG won't be that much better than RNRC.

And definitely won't touch Velocicoaster or Hagrid's.

And Disney, sadly, doesn't care.

It's sad to see people on here still capping for a product that keeps getting weaker and weaker.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Quite frankly, I never think about or care what a budget is. If it’s a good attraction it’s a good attraction.

And I am sure this will be an absolute blast.
Sure - and honestly I think that's a reasonable opinion from the guest-facing perspective. If an attraction is sufficiently entertaining, the money is generally the furthest thing from your mind as you ride it.

That said, if you found out Dumbo somehow cost more than Rise of the Resistance, I think it would also be reasonable to deduce that there's something screwy in the process by which these things are made.

Add to it that we as guests are increasingly being asked to foot the bill for these expensive endeavors, and the returns seem (in many cases) to be diminishing . . . it's fair to suggest that Guardians being one of the most expensive attractions of all time *should* mean that it's MASSIVELY entertaining. Like, next level. But will it?

Animaniac93-98

Sure - and honestly I think that's a reasonable opinion from the guest-facing perspective. If an attraction is sufficiently entertaining, the money is generally the furthest thing from your mind as you ride it.

That said, if you found out Dumbo somehow cost more than Rise of the Resistance, I think it would also be reasonable to deduce that there's something screwy in the process by which these things are made.

Add to it that we as guests are increasingly being asked to foot the bill for these expensive endeavors, and the returns seem (in many cases) to be diminishing . . . it's fair to suggest that Guardians being one of the most expensive attractions of all time *should* mean that it's MASSIVELY entertaining. Like, next level. But will it?

Also rides costing $450 million a piece to make means we're less likely to get more of them, which does impact the guest whether they're aware of it or not.

But the discourse of "will Disney fans like it?" is kind of pointless. We know people will buy into the hype, love it, say UoE had to go, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom