News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Chi84

Premium Member
Let's pretend that FDOT puts qualified, non-partisan inspectors on the job and the governor's office exerts no political pressure. Would you take issue with the inspections at that point, notwithstanding how they came about in the first place?

I'm not naive enough to believe that there aren't several different ways for this to go poorly. I'm merely trying to illustrate that, despite the less than ideal circumstances by which this inspection scheme came about, there is a possibility that it can be beneficial to the safety of the monorail system. Would I be shocked if the inspections end up being politically motivated attacks against Disney, with direct influence from the governor's office? Not in the slightest.
No question I would take issue with those inspections. The responsibility and costs of these inspections have been born by Disney according to a 56-year-old agreement with the state and Disney has an exemplary safety record. Through the years they’ve adopted some cutting edge technology, so the agreement made sense then and still makes sense now. If the state was insisting on taking over at this time, I would question why.

Brian

No question I would take issue with those inspections. The responsibility and costs of these inspections have been born by Disney according to a 56-year-old agreement with the state and Disney has an exemplary safety record. Through the years they’ve adopted some cutting edge technology, so the agreement made sense then and still makes sense now. If the state was insisting on taking over at this time, I would question why.
You had me until "cutting edge technology." The current monorails are older than DAK, and almost as old as DHS. Reagan was POTUS when they were built, and Google was still nearly a decade away, let alone widespread internet usage. In other words, they're old as dirt. Sure, they've added some tech over the years, such as semi-automation, but cutting edge isn't the phrase I'd use to describe WDW's monorail system.

Casper Gutman

Let's pretend that FDOT puts qualified, non-partisan inspectors on the job and the governor's office exerts no political pressure. Would you take issue with the inspections at that point, notwithstanding how they came about in the first place?

I'm not naive enough to believe that there aren't several different ways for this to go poorly. I'm merely trying to illustrate that, despite the less than ideal circumstances by which this inspection scheme came about, there is a possibility that it may improve the safety of the monorail system. Would I be shocked if the inspections end up being politically motivated attacks against Disney, with direct influence from the governor's office? Not in the slightest.
Pretending the inspections will be in good faith is utterly pointless. They won't be. There is absolutely no reason to even fantasize about some completely different set of circumstances, which would serve only to obfuscate what is very clearly going on.

Even IF we were to indulge in such a fantasy, the inspections would still be worthy of condemnation - as Sir Cliff said, "good" outcomes should never excuse blatantly unconstitutional, authoritarian methods.

Chi84

Premium Member
You had me until "cutting edge technology." The current monorails are older than DAK, and almost as old as DHS. Reagan was POTUS when they were built, and Google was still nearly a decade away, let alone widespread internet usage. In other words, they're old as dirt. Sure, they've added some tech over the years, such as semi-automation, but cutting edge isn't the phrase I'd use to describe WDW's monorail system.
This involves more than just the monorail system. It’s just the first of many state inspections. I don’t think it can be separated. Even if you leave out the part about cutting edge technology my opinion would be the same. There is really no way to discuss this issue without referring to the motivation for the inspections. There was an agreement and Disney has an exemplary record. Why the change?

Last edited:

Riviera Rita

Everything else aside, I don't really mind if the monorail gets safer at WDW. Unless this means it just gets shut down and not fixed up.
But, is that the reason he's doing this? Genuine safety concern or political stunt that ends with no action taken once he has grabbed his headlines.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I wish it would just end at “Chapek stepped in it and Desantis should have just left it alone”. But that didnt happen. Im not certain this ends but I wish it would.
I’m actually surprised Iger didn’t talk to Desantis personally and throw chapek under the bus like he has for other things and just apologize for how it was handled and that it wouldn’t happen like that if he were still in charge. Then offer DeSantis a churro and dole whip as a peace offering and shake and be done with this garbage

Patcheslee

I could find 2021 FDOT inspection frequency, 24 month generally. If conditions warrant as low as 6 months
Screenshot_20230425_065510_Drive.jpg

Figgy1

Premium Member
1) You dont know what "imminent domain" means.
2) Only a reichtard would think deSatan can win this fight.
3) Every time wRong does something stupid like this, he proves how unfit he is to govern Florida, let alone the country.

Good.
Please read as you have violated a few

willf

I’m actually surprised Iger didn’t talk to Desantis personally and throw chapek under the bus like he has for other things and just apologize for how it was handled and that it wouldn’t happen like that if he were still in charge. Then offer DeSantis a churro and dole whip as a peace offering and shake and be done with this garbage
He probably did. It’s not about that, this dispute is politically useful for DeSantis, he has no motivation to resolve it amicably.

lazyboy97o

There is absolutely no reason to even fantasize about some completely different set of circumstances, which would serve only to obfuscate what is very clearly going on.
This. This. This. Every new development it’s nearly the same thing of the same people looking to brand manage and provide rationale and justification. “I know this is technically bad here’s why it’s actually good and justified.” It’s a lame attempt at a Gotcha based on assumed left-right stereotypes.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm going to laugh so hard when you pedocrats disrespect DeSantis to the point he uses imminent domain and simply takes the park away from Disney.

1. It's "eminent domain" and the state has to have a justifiable reason for doing so
2. Disney would have to be compensated...to the tune of billions.
3. You've violated this site's Terms & Rules

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member

The monorails opened when Magic Kingdom opened on October 1, 1971. Reagan wasn't president, Richard Nixon was. And they were cutting edge in 1971.

Patcheslee

So crazy question. If Disney were to restrict riding to those with tickets, resort stays, or dining reservations, would it still be considered "public transit"?
1682423032260.png

1682423100287.png

lazyboy97o

The monorails opened when Magic Kingdom opened on October 1, 1971. Reagan wasn't president, Richard Nixon was. And they were cutting edge in 1971.
The system opened with the Mark IV monorails. They were replaced by the Mark VI monorails over several years when Bush was president (89 - 91).

Nubs70

So what fell under RCID now falls under the State of Florida, and we are surprised FDOT now has jurisdiction?

Calling Gomer Pyle.....

LAKid53

Premium Member
This involves more than just the monorail system. It’s just the first of many state inspections. I don’t think it can be separated. Even if you leave out the part about cutting edge technology my opinion would be the same. There is really no way to discuss this issue without referring to the motivation for the inspections. There was an agreement and Disney has an exemplary record. Why the change?

How knowledgeable will those inspecting rides like Tron or Rise or FoP be?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom