News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

RobbinsDad

Delusional. There’d be no media backlash if the stated cause is safety, just like with coaster inspections and so on. Reports would contextualize this oversight, rightly or wrongly, as overdue since it was never implemented after the monorail accident that resulted in a CM death. Connects the dots to safety inspections, no backlash.
And I believe it's delusional to think that news outlets won't be falling over themselves to cover the stories of frustrated people waiting hours just to enter the MK by boat.

georgew41

DeSantis is a moron, Disney has already put $2 billion away to lobby against him in his next election, be it governor or president. He made a REALLLLLY stupid mistake over pride, good luck DeSantis; fighting a corporation in a country obsessed with capitalism is the stupidest thing any politician has ever done roflmao.

Brian

And I believe it's delusional to think that news outlets won't be falling over themselves to cover the stories of frustrated people waiting hours just to enter the MK by boat.
The monorail goes 101 fairly frequently. You don't see news outlets covering everyday delays to get to the park because buses are dispatched in short order to make up for the loss of the monorail.

Sir_Cliff

The monorail goes 101 fairly frequently. You don't see news outlets covering everyday delays to get to the park because buses are dispatched in short order to make up for the loss of the monorail.
If the monorails are closed because the Florida authorities need to inspect them as a result of Disney's opposition toward the Florida government's legislation regarding the appropriate discussion of gay people, that becomes news.

Brian

If the monorails are closed because the Florida authorities need to inspect them as a result of Disney's opposition toward the Florida government's legislation regarding the appropriate discussion of gay people, that becomes news.
DeSantis' food consumption methods is news at this rate. What's your point?

MandaM

I’ve always had a great deal of faith in the courts. I know some people think the judges are free to decide a case based on their own beliefs and politics, but that has never been the case.

Lower courts are well-constrained by laws and precedents set by case law. It is true that higher courts, like the state and federal supreme courts, are more involved with policy considerations just based on the subjects brought before them. But it’s a misconception to think that judges are free to rule any way they like.
You may have been right in the past, but we have many lower court judges who are unqualified and confirmed solely for partisan reasons. Judges are free to rule any way they like -- they just have to come up with some pretext for their ruling, no matter how thin or transparent. I can think of several recently (including one regarding medication just last week) where judges ruled based on a personal agenda and not the law.

Brian

That this would be different from the monorails just going 101.
Correct. But there wouldn't be news about difficulties accessing MK, because Disney would have buses available to transport the affected guests. It would be news because of the politics.

Casper Gutman

I’m confused as to why you would attack the character of any potential inspectors. You assume they are just a bunch of crooks that cannot be trusted? They aren’t politicians.
Any inspector who gets this job will have a very clear understanding of what is expected of them.

The governor, legislature, and new RCID board have been very, very clear about their intentions and overall bad faith. There has been no rhetorical subtlety or ambiguity.

Sir_Cliff

Correct. But it wouldn't be news because of difficulties accessing MK, because Disney would have buses available to transport the affected guests. It would be news because of the politics.
Right, it would be news because the Florida government was obstructing the operation of one of the most important private businesses in the state from operating because it opposed one of its policies.

Brian

Right, it would be news because the Florida government was obstructing the operation of one of the most important private businesses in the state from operating because it opposed one of its policies.
Just because it's a new thread doesn't mean I'm ignoring the antecedent of all of this. I think this post sums it up for me, sans the "good end result," as that is entirely dependent upon whether or not the inspections are done in good faith:

I don’t think anyone is denying it. There are some who are arguing it’s a good end result even if the means of getting there was political retaliation for speaking out.

Sir_Cliff

Just because it's a new thread doesn't mean I'm ignoring the antecedent of all of this. I think this post sums it up for me, sans the "good end result," as that is entirely dependent upon whether or not the inspections are done in good faith:
Good lord, "I don't care if free speech is suppressed as long as the end result is good" is the logic according to which dictatorship functions.

Chi84

Premium Member
Good lord, "I don't care if free speech is suppressed as long as the end result is good" is the logic according to which dictatorship functions.
I hope you don’t think my previous post was in any way approving the means-ends explanation. I believe that morally reprehensible means should never be tolerated, no matter the ultimate result.

Brian

This is a thread about the monorail being subject to state inspections. We all know why it's happening. There's no need to make this into yet another thread about Disney's objections to the parental rights legislation and the state's response.

MandaM

This is a thread about the monorail being subject to state inspections. We all know why it's happening. There's no need to make this into yet another thread about Disney's objections to the parental rights legislation and the state's response.
We can't pretend this is taking place in a vacuum. This has nothing to do with safety; it's purely punitive. Because the only goal in this is to punish Disney, we also can't pretend that they would go about the inspections in a good faith manner. Not to mention the fact that the state has absolutely zero knowledge about the running and maintenance of monorail systems. What could be good about this?

Chi84

Premium Member
The governor’s comments made clear that all of this is being done to punish Disney. Normally we would assume safety inspections were being done in good faith, but that assumption can’t be made here.

Sir_Cliff

We can't pretend this is taking place in a vacuum. This has nothing to do with safety; it's purely punitive. Because the only goal in this is to punish Disney, we also can't pretend that they would go about the inspections in a good faith manner. Not to mention the fact that the state has absolutely zero knowledge about the running and maintenance of monorail systems. What could be good about this?
Exactly. No-one honestly believes this is being done because the state of Florida has concerns about how Disney is running the monorail system or believes they are better able to regulate monorails. Supporting this means supporting the logic behind it.

Brian

Not to mention the fact that the state has absolutely zero knowledge about the running and maintenance of monorail systems. What could be good about this?
The governor’s comments made clear that all of this is being done to punish Disney. Normally we would assume safety inspections were being done in good faith, but that assumption can’t be made here.
Let's pretend that FDOT puts qualified, non-partisan inspectors on the job and the governor's office exerts no political pressure. Would you take issue with the inspections at that point, notwithstanding how they came about in the first place?

I'm not naive enough to believe that there aren't several different ways for this to go poorly. I'm merely trying to illustrate that, despite the less than ideal circumstances by which this inspection scheme came about, there is a possibility that it may improve the safety of the monorail system. Would I be shocked if the inspections end up being politically motivated attacks against Disney, with direct influence from the governor's office? Not in the slightest.

Last edited:

Lilofan

DeSantis is a moron, Disney has already put $2 billion away to lobby against him in his next election, be it governor or president. He made a REALLLLLY stupid mistake over pride, good luck DeSantis; fighting a corporation in a country obsessed with capitalism is the stupidest thing any politician has ever done roflmao.
DeSantis with all his stupid moves makes unemployed Chapek look like a genius.

Disneyhead'71

Rhonda Santis is playing with fire. I'm waiting for Iger to turn the whole Disney ship sideways and fire all the cannons. Disney is the largest media empire on the planet. ABC News goes all "what about those teenage girls you were drinking with while a teacher?" Or "GitMo Gov laughed at prisoners being tortured", NatGeo premieres a new Documentary called, Red Tide Rhon, exploring the rise in Red Tide and Agricultural run off permitted by Gov. Rhonda. Or maybe ESPN declines the offer to broadcast any game that has a FL team playing, "Gov. Rhonda Santis has made it clear that he does not want to do business with The Walt Disney Company, therefore all sporting events involving state supported schools in the state of Florida will not be covered by The Walt Disney Company. Sorry for the inconvenience. All inquiries should be sent to the Governor's Office."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom