News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

JohnD

The discussion is about another bill that would require ride inspections at WDW.
But my point is there isn't one. The Legislature has adjourned sine die. The only inspections in a bill affecting Disney are monorails. Period. The only other ride inspection bill is SB 902 for smaller amusement parks as I indicated. Disney is NOT affected.

lazyboy97o

To make sure we're not off on a tangent, regarding Disney, legislation was signed that added in monorail inspections ONLY to a larger transportation bill.

As for ride inspections, WDW is not affected. It continues as normal providing a report to the Commissioner of Agriculture. There was a bill passed but it affects smaller amusement parks. It came about after the tragic death of a teen on a free fall ride in Orlando last year.
The law does not specifically say “monorail” and it’s definition could easily fit other transportation and even rides.

As part of reconstituting Reedy Creek Improvement District, the District did gain authority to implement its own ride inspection regulations.

scottieRoss

S & S is still in Logan, UT.
Vekoma is still in the Netherland.
Intamin is based now in Liechtenstein.
Dynamic has nothing to do with Arrow Dynamics. It is a Vancouver company. And while it does have a ride design studio in Orlando, it is an auxiliary studio to its main design center in Canada.
Premier is located in Baltimore, MD

JohnD

The law does not specifically say “monorail” and it’s definition could easily fit other transportation and even rides.

As part of reconstituting Reedy Creek Improvement District, the District did gain authority to implement its own ride inspection regulations.
The point is the monorail but maybe you could infer skyliner as a "transportation" system. Rides are not affected.

LSLS

Florida simply needs to copy-and-paste the California system that has been in place for 20 years now.

If anything, it would be easier for Florida and would be a really good way for the Florida parks to burnish their safety images. Most of the leading ride system manufacturers (Oceaneering, Sally, Arrow-Dynamic, Premier, etc.) are all based in Orlando. None are based in California.

IAPPA is headquartered in Orlando, and the annual IAPPA Convention takes place every year in Orlando, never in Anaheim. What Silicon Valley is to Tech, Orlando is to the global theme park industry. What Detroit is (was) to cars, Orlando is to the global theme park industry.

It would be easier to work in that business environment than it is in California, certainly. You might even get better results than California has!

MAN, you are showing your age here referencing Arrow 😁

JohnD

Many rides are on fixed guideways and move people to a different location.
I'm no fan of the amendment added to the transportation bill. But I'm not joining the sky is falling mentality either. Ride inspections are not affected by the signed transportation bill. Nor was Disney affected by the ride inspection bill which affects theme parks smaller than Disney (an amendment WAS considered but withdrawn).

Last edited:

LittleBuford

But my point is there isn't one. The Legislature has adjourned sine die. The only inspections in a bill affecting Disney are monorails. Period. The only other ride inspection bill is SB 902 for smaller amusement parks as I indicated. Disney is NOT affected.
You're talking about the Tyre Sampson Act, which was signed into law yesterday.

We're talking about legislation that DeSantis said he would introduce but that appears to have been put on hold for now:

JohnD

You're talking about the Tyre Sampson Act, which was signed into law yesterday.

We're talking about legislation that DeSantis said he would introduce but that appears to have been put on hold for now:

Yes. I saw that article. I can assure you it's not happening without a law which there isn't. Perhaps he was hoping to get an amendment added to the Sampson bill. Fortunately, the Legislature came to their senses and kept the bill "clean." The regular session is adjourned sine die and there is no appetite for another special session about anything. Certainly, not now. Could it come up in the 2024 session which starts up in January? Perhaps. But not today.

LittleBuford

Yes. I saw that article. I can assure you it's not happening without a law which there isn't. Perhaps he was hoping to get an amendment added to the Sampson bill. Fortunately, the Legislature came to their senses and kept the bill "clean." The regular session is adjourned sine die and there is no appetite for another special session about anything. Certainly, not now. Could it come up in the 2024 session which starts up in January? Perhaps. But not today.
Yes, I know that. That's why I said it's on hold!

TP2000

Do you just make stuff up thinking people don’t know or are your research skills just that bad? The Matterhorn was built by Arrow Development in Mountain View, CA. Dynamic Attractions is a completely separate company that was never part of any of Arrow’s iterations, Huss, S&S or Sansei.

No, I just make stuff up based off of hazy memory and an old stack of E Ticket magazines from the 1990's.

But as I'm just back home from a lovely dinner-n-dessert evening and am in a wonderful mood, let me Google a bit... :)

From Wikipedia, comes this first paragraph that sums up the 75 year history of "Arrow" before it became Arrow Dynamics...

"Arrow Dynamics was an American manufacturing and engineering company that specialized in designing and building amusement park rides, especially roller coasters. Based in Clearfield, Utah, the company was the successor to Arrow Development (1946–1981) and Arrow Huss (1981–1986), which were responsible for several influential advancements in the amusement and theme park industries. Among the most significant was tubular steel track, which provided a smoother ride than the railroad style rails commonly used prior to the 1960s on wooden roller coasters. The Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland, built in 1959, was Arrow's first roller coaster project."

Arrow Dynamics also built WDW's Space Mountain in 1975, and all of WDW's 1971 dark rides and round rides, including Small World for both Disneyland (World's Fair version) and WDW.

And yet there's also a 21st century offshoot, via several corporate buyouts and/or drunken bar brawls, of the old Arrow Dynamics now called Dynamic Attractions, as Wikipedia describes it...

"In July 2017, the Dynamic Attractions company combined with all the "ride system" elements of the Dynamic Structures company. The new Dynamic Attractions organization includes the Ride Development Center (Formerly Dynamic Structures offices and facility) in Port Coquitlam, Canada, as well as the Attraction Development Center in Orlando, Florida."

That firm under that name has built several E Ticket ride systems in the 21st century for Disney theme parks, like Soarin' (at both DCA and Epcot), Test Track, the 2005 rebuild of Disneyland's Space Mountain, the Mark VII Monorails, Radiator Springs Racers, etc.

I think my original point remains valid; Orlando (greater metro area) remains the center of the ride system industry universe. So any regulated oversight of theme park rides by the state of Florida should be welcomed by that industry.
An extra set of eyes can always help when it comes to safety around heavy machinery!

P.S. I've actually been to Port Coquitlam B.C. twice. If I'd know it was a business satellite of the Orlando metro area, I would have dressed down!

Last edited:

TP2000

Thank you. That explains the blurb I'd read earlier about this bill from some source I can't find now, nor do I care to since I've lost interest after spending 8 minutes too long researching the 70 year history and difference between Arrow Dynamics and Dynamic Attractions.

The bill died in committee. For now. It may resurface in the 2024 congressional session in Tallahassee. Or it may not. It's just a bill on capitol hill.

Figgy1

Thank you. That explains the blurb I'd read earlier about this bill from some source I can't find now, nor do I care to since I've lost interest after spending 8 minutes too long researching the 70 year history and difference between Arrow Dynamics and Dynamic Attractions.

The bill died in committee. For now. It may resurface in the 2024 congressional session in Tallahassee. Or it may not. It's just a bill on capitol hill.

I loved that one when I was very little!!!!!!!!! THNX for the memories:inlove:

JohnD

Well, legislative session anyway. But I get your point. The session starts earlier in January in even numbered years so they can wrap up the first week of March and focus on their re-elections.

lazyboy97o

No, I just make stuff up based off of hazy memory and an old stack of E Ticket magazines from the 1990's.

But as I'm just back home from a lovely dinner-n-dessert evening and am in a wonderful mood, let me Google a bit... :)

From Wikipedia, comes this first paragraph that sums up the 75 year history of "Arrow" before it became Arrow Dynamics...

"Arrow Dynamics was an American manufacturing and engineering company that specialized in designing and building amusement park rides, especially roller coasters. Based in Clearfield, Utah, the company was the successor to Arrow Development (1946–1981) and Arrow Huss (1981–1986), which were responsible for several influential advancements in the amusement and theme park industries. Among the most significant was tubular steel track, which provided a smoother ride than the railroad style rails commonly used prior to the 1960s on wooden roller coasters. The Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland, built in 1959, was Arrow's first roller coaster project."

Arrow Dynamics also built WDW's Space Mountain in 1975, and all of WDW's 1971 dark rides and round rides, including Small World for both Disneyland (World's Fair version) and WDW.

And yet there's also a 21st century offshoot, via several corporate buyouts and/or drunken bar brawls, of the old Arrow Dynamics now called Dynamic Attractions, as Wikipedia describes it...

"In July 2017, the Dynamic Attractions company combined with all the "ride system" elements of the Dynamic Structures company. The new Dynamic Attractions organization includes the Ride Development Center (Formerly Dynamic Structures offices and facility) in Port Coquitlam, Canada, as well as the Attraction Development Center in Orlando, Florida."

That firm under that name has built several E Ticket ride systems in the 21st century for Disney theme parks, like Soarin' (at both DCA and Epcot), Test Track, the 2005 rebuild of Disneyland's Space Mountain, the Mark VII Monorails, Radiator Springs Racers, etc.

I think my original point remains valid; Orlando (greater metro area) remains the center of the ride system industry universe. So any regulated oversight of theme park rides by the state of Florida should be welcomed by that industry.
An extra set of eyes can always help when it comes to safety around heavy machinery!

P.S. I've actually been to Port Coquitlam B.C. twice. If I'd know it was a business satellite of the Orlando metro area, I would have dressed down!
So, just bad at research. Dynamic Attractions and Dynamic Structures were never part of any iteration of Arrow. Companies can have the same word in their names without being related. There are only two, relatively small, manufacturers with a presence in Orlando that is more than a sales office. So, no, your bogus point doesn’t stand at all because it’s just strung together nonsense that ignores reality.

TP2000

There are only two, relatively small, manufacturers with a presence in Orlando that is more than a sales office. So, no, your bogus point doesn’t stand at all because it’s just strung together nonsense that ignores reality.

I think later in the weekend I'll create a little list of all the ride system manufacturers that have a sales/engineering/manufacturing presence in Florida versus California. Wouldn't that be a fun list!?! And then there's IAAPA, the granddaddy of the theme park industry.

It kind of makes more sense why they wanted to move WDI to Orlando now, and not just for the main reason of the much higher cost of doing business and employing people in California versus Florida.

I loved that one when I was very little!!!!!!!!! THNX for the memories:inlove:

Oh my dear lady, it was my pleasure! I started humming that song earlier in the thread and giggling about it, then decided to include the clip for the youngsters or people from foreign lands who might not have had the pleasure of those animated shorts in their childhood. 🤣

Weren't those shorts wonderful? I was not their target demographic in the 1970's, but I still loved them. That grammar one about "Conjunction Junction", and the history one about the Great American Melting Pot were my favorites. 😍

lazyboy97o

I think later in the weekend I'll create a little list of all the ride system manufacturers that have a sales/engineering/manufacturing presence in Florida versus California. Wouldn't that be a fun list!?! And then there's IAAPA, the granddaddy of the theme park industry.

It kind of makes more sense why they wanted to move WDI to Orlando now, and not just for the main reason of the much higher cost of doing business and employing people in California versus Florida.
This is not a California-Florida issue, no matter how much you want to use that tired old whataboutism. Nobody has said California is a center of ride system manufacturing, probably because they’re not as uninformed as you are on the subject. And maybe try to read and comprehend some of IAAPA’s publications before trying to invoke their name in your nonsense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom