News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Still doing this?

It’s not a stretch. They were very clear. They went after Reedy Creek in order to punish Disney. They have told you this. Believe them.
Doesn't matter, legally. You don't get to lump everyone you disagree with into a collective "they," and you don't get to lump everyone you agree with into a collective "we."

DeSantis was clear in what he wanted. That one guy (senate majority leader I think?) was very clear in what he wanted. The Florida legislature is made up of 160 people. DeSantis bloviating in a speech doesn't impute legislative intent onto the entire body.

Trauma

I’m not going to get into the legalities of this I’m not a lawyer. I do know a thing or two about safety inspections though.

What concerns me the most is who will be conducting the inspections.

Not because they are out for some type of political retribution but because someone unqualified conducting a safety inspection can actually lead to a serious safety issue.

StaceyH_SD

Here are my issues with the monrail inspections:

-it’s clearly part of a pattern of retaliation against disney, regardless of whether inspections may be a good thing or not. this wasn’t prompted by an accident or safety issue that just came up, it’s all about DeSantis and the legislature using the power of the government for retaliation

-the inspections can (and i expect) will be on the up-and-up but that doesn’t stop the governor or the CFTOD or the legislature from using the results of the inspection as some bad faith gotcha. I can totally see DeSantis holding one of his fake press conferences at Reedy Creek HQ waving around a report about how unsafe Disney is or whatever

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I would think falsifying an inspection report for something pertaining to public safety and mass transit would but illegal.

These “inspectors” hate Disney so much they are willing to suffer legal consequences?

I think you are a little into conspiracy theory land with this.

Take a peek at Fuller v Carollo, presently in trial at the federal court in Miami. Specifically the witness testimony, where in Florida, the power of government - but police and regulatory - was used against a political enemy (Fuller) at the behest of a politician (Carollo).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Take a peek at Fuller v Carollo, presently in trial at the federal court in Miami. Specifically the witness testimony, where in Florida, the power of government - but police and regulatory - was used against a political enemy (Fuller) at the behest of a politician (Carollo).
Legislation is different than regulation.

See @mikejs78 on legislative intent.

mkt

Premium Member
Legislation is different than regulation.

See @mikejs78 on legislative intent.
That's not the point I was making.

The point is that it does happen in Florida, quite openly and quite brazenly.

This state is extremely corrupt. It just happens to mostly be good-ole-boy corruption that get swept under the rug.

Smiley/OCD

My guess is that they will inspect simple things like cracks in the track concrete and support foundation. Structural engineers that do concrete and bridges could do that with no trouble.

There are photos circulating around the internet that show cracks in the monorail support pillars (vertical ones) and I guess the state has seen those photos too?

If I was Disney today? Id send crews right now to repair any questionable cracks ASAP before they are inspected by outsiders first.
Absolutely true, but if the state starts finding cracks in the beams, I’d be out photographing EVERY bridge support with those same types of cracks and take that matter to court saying the state is unfairly singling TWDC out when the states roadways and bridges are in similar condition and not being addressed. Disney can play ToT for tat also…

lazyboy97o

-the inspections can (and i expect) will be on the up-and-up but that doesn’t stop the governor or the CFTOD or the legislature from using the results of the inspection as some bad faith gotcha. I can totally see DeSantis holding one of his fake press conferences at Reedy Creek HQ waving around a report about how unsafe Disney is or whatever
Which is exactly what we just saw occur the other week talking about some huge number of health code violations at restaurants. A huge number dropped down with absolutely no context.

Casper Gutman

Here are my issues with the monrail inspections:

-it’s clearly part of a pattern of retaliation against disney, regardless of whether inspections may be a good thing or not. this wasn’t prompted by an accident or safety issue that just came up, it’s all about DeSantis and the legislature using the power of the government for retaliation

Agreed. I think most on here will believe me when I say I will very happily complain endlessly about the current state of upkeep at Disney in general and as regards the monorails in particular, but this is absolutely not the context in which to do so.

Trauma

Jeez fine.

I pay my lawyers to do this stuff for me.

Can you at least give me a link since I have no idea how to find this stuff.

mkt

Premium Member

mkt

Premium Member
Ok well I see a link to an article with a bunch of accusations from both parties.

Has a judgement been reached ?
I believe trial is still ongoing. However, google and look at the witness testimony that includes police officers and code enforcement officers.

Trauma

I believe trial is still ongoing. However, google and look at the witness testimony that includes police officers and code enforcement officers.
Yeah my point is doesn’t this stuff happen all the time on both sides of the isle? That’s why we have the court system.

If your trying to point to some overarching theme of corruption and abuse of power you don’t need too sell that story to me.

I see it all the time.

Incomudro

And AGAIN, it happened ONCE, in 2018, and never happened again…I mean, be real, do you REALLY think Disney would do anything to put their guests at risk especially NOW with DeSantis breathing down Mickey’s neck?
2018 was not long ago, and the door issue happened at essentially the same time the piece fell off of a monorail car.
I'm happy that Disney has gone to work renovating the trains, but they are still a very old fleet - and i don't really know what goes on behind the scenes in maintenance and repairs.
It could be extremely thorough, or it could be duct tape and JB Weld.

Trauma

2018 was not long ago, and the door issue happened at essentially the same time the piece fell off of a monorail car.
I'm happy that Disney has gone to work renovating the trains, but they are still a very old fleet - and i don't really know what goes on behind the scenes in maintenance and repairs.
It could be extremely thorough, or it could be duct tape and JB Weld.
Yeah but cmon.

You know that if there was a monorail accident right now with injury’s involved …

Well let’s just say I couldn’t even imagine the size of a problem that would become.

peter11435

Doesn't matter, legally. You don't get to lump everyone you disagree with into a collective "they," and you don't get to lump everyone you agree with into a collective "we."

DeSantis was clear in what he wanted. That one guy (senate majority leader I think?) was very clear in what he wanted. The Florida legislature is made up of 160 people. DeSantis bloviating in a speech doesn't impute legislative intent onto the entire body.
You realize your argument here is an entirely different one than the one I was replying to.

Classic example of moving the goalpost.

DeSantis and “that one guy” are not the only ones that have made their intent clear. And DeSantis is the one that called the special session and the one that signed the bill into law. And… as he points out himself in his book, is the one that had secret discussions with legislators pushing them to do this. This does not happen without him.

Trauma

I wonder if Iger is happy this is all happening.

If Disney prevails against the state of Florida he will be able to take a victory lap, covering his legacy of failure everywhere else.

lazyboy97o

You realize your argument here is an entirely different one than the one I was replying to.

Classic example of moving the goalpost.

DeSantis and “that one guy” are not the only ones that have made their intent clear. And DeSantis is the one that called the special session and the one that signed the bill into law. And… as he points out himself in his book, is the one that had secret discussions with legislators pushing them to do this. This does not happen without him.
This is where discovery could be more damning. How many were involved in the discussions? There have been multiple mentions of potentially sizable groups discussing this matter, starting with Spencer Roach’s first tweet on the subject.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom