News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

lazyboy97o

But for your logic to extend the analogy, you would have to argue that Disney and RCID are "associates," which is exactly the opposite of what Disney has claimed in the past.

I just think it's a stretch for Disney to spend decades saying "RCID is a neutral third party, they're not a puppet government controlled by our corporation" and then turn around and claim "woah woah woah, an attack on them is an attack on us."
The association was never denied. It is not the same as being a complete puppet. The District did act independently on things like building codes and Disney knew not to push back on those issues. A district can work to serve its landowners without yielding on every matter, particularly ones regarding safety and compliance with state law.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Protests by private citizens are in no way, shape or form equivalent to governmental assaults on fundamental human rights. Attempting to equate the two obfuscates the very real, existential threat to this country.

There are no two sides here. There is no equivalent to what the Florida administration is doing.
I don't think you know what "existential" means.

Casper Gutman

I don't think you know what "existential" means.
A prominent governor publicly and aggressively attempting to undermine the constitutional order and continuing to enjoy such widespread support from his voting base that he is a very viable presidential candidate is absolutely an existential threat to America defined in any meaningful way. If this were happening in, say 2005, it would be almost uniformly recognized as such.

I know that you're very invested in the idea that everything is normal and must inevitably remain so and the idea that the political, cultural, and social structure could shift in any meaningful way is absurd. I disagree. We are in a place that is very much not "normal," and some very distressing changes could take place very quickly.

Trauma

Protests by private citizens are in no way, shape or form equivalent to governmental assaults on fundamental human rights. Attempting to equate the two obfuscates the very real, existential threat to this country.

There are no two sides here. There is no equivalent to what the Florida administration is doing.
I respect your opinion and we are way off track here but a Supreme Court justice had someone in their house, so did Nancy Pelosi.

These are not protests.

If what DeSantis is doing is wrong it will be shot down in courts as it should be.

It will hurt him politically as it should.

Politicians do this crap all the time.

How many times has Biden lost cases in the Supreme Court so far ?

I think the system is working as it should and that’s a good thing.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
some very distressing changes could take place very quickly.
the-office.gif

Casper Gutman

I respect your opinion and we are way off track here but a Supreme Court justice had someone in their house, so did Nancy Pelosi.

These are not protests.

If what DeSantis is doing is wrong it will be shot down in courts as it should be.

It will hurt him politically as it should.

Politicians do this crap all the time.

How many times has Biden lost cases in the Supreme Court so far ?

I think the system is working as it should and that’s a good thing.
Politicians DO NOT do this crap all the time.

I have no idea why you think this will hurt him politically. Shamelessness and a determination to harm "opponents" regardless of legal restraints is seen as a positive - or at least not a deal breaker - for much of his base. The system cannot work if a significant body of voters is eager to reward constitutional violations and bad faith actions. I'm not sure any system could.

Trauma

Since that only took the great detectives here an hour, can you guys get to work on what the 17 Billion is going to be spent on?

Asking for a friend.

Casper Gutman

Since that only took the great detectives here an hour, can you guys get to work on what the 17 Billion is going to be spent on?

Asking for a friend.
If I recall, there was some pretty sharp informed analysis in that thread, based largely on past spending patterns.

Finishing Moana will take at least another 2.5 billion, for one thing.

Brian

Asking for a friend.
7.8 billion to run extra buses because of how frequently and long the monorails are going to be shutdown under DeathSantis' inspection regime.

Cliff

Question for all in the know in this forum. (MKT?)

Can a municipality write "public" bonds and then use them to build or enhance private property?

How about this...Could the city of Anaheim issue "public" bonds then turn around and build buy/build a new parking lot for Disneyland?..or any other company in the city? I strongly suspect it's a big "no"???

I dont know the answer...just asking for those here that do.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

Can a municipality write "public" bonds and them use them to build or enhance private property?

How about this...Could the city of Anaheim issue "public" bonds then turn around and build buy/build a new parking lot for Disneyland?..or any other company in the city?

Anaheim did use bond to finance the Mickey and Friends Parking Garage for the Disneyland Resort. Disney is then paying off those bonds.

Reedy Creek Improvement District didn’t use bonds to develop private property. They used them to develop their property and infrastructure which serves private landowners just like any other local government that operates roads, water and sewer systems, electrical systems, etc.

Trauma

If I recall, there was some pretty sharp informed analysis in that thread, based largely on past spending patterns.

Finishing Moana will take at least another 2.5 billion, for one thing.
Casper here was your opportunity to reply back with a sarcastic answer to lighten the mood of the thread!

Can I schedule you a spa day somewhere just so you can relax a touch?

Last edited:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

Can a municipality write "public" bonds and then use them to build or enhance private property?

How about this...Could the city of Anaheim issue "public" bonds then turn around and build buy/build a new parking lot for Disneyland?..or any other company in the city? I strongly suspect it's a big "no"???

Yes...ish. It happens all the time when it comes to things like sports arenas.

With regards to the Disney Springs parking garages, they are legally public parking owned by RCID that serves surrounding businesses and communities, in that way no different from the municipally owned parking garages 15 miles away in Downtown Orlando, and so on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom