News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Chi84

Premium Member
Yeah, that's why I said "I suspect."

Is speculating no longer permitted around here? Or is it only permitted when considering just how evil and unethical the FDOT inspectors will be?
I don’t think people are saying in general that state inspectors are unethical. But when the only reason for ordering the inspections is political retribution, it tends to taint the entire process.

I posted earlier that I wonder what the workers actually inconvenienced by this political nonsense think about it.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No
The ends do not justify the means. You are just trying to obfuscate the actual motivation which gives it legitimacy. Every abuse of power is justified by some need. If this was based on a genuine need then it would apply uniformly across the state, not to just one very particularly type of special district that wasn’t even properly identified because this has not been properly considered.
Maybe it's not based on a genuine need, but there IS a genuine need that the inspections might help.

Rich Brownn

It runs on a cable.

If you don't like my previous analogies because you get off at the same place you got on, then the Harambe train to Rafiki's Planet Watch.
It's called a funicular railway. It is technically a railroad. And it was built by a rail company and operates like any other transit system that is a funicular railroad instead going horizontally instead of vertically. I used to work this attraction and it is, indeed, classified as a railroad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If a company is not trusted enough to make their transportation safe. Than it understandable why an outside transportation regulation inspection may bring some good things. Regardless of the initial reason being questionable in timing.

Does that mean you'd champion someone rewriting the law to stead of targeting guideway systems in a indepdenent district to being all private guideways all over the state? And be bothered they didn't??

Your retort is just a head-in-sand response though. You're like... "lets just ignore all this other stuff over here that is completely inflammatory... because... if you were in a vacuum, we could find some good in this"

But we're not in a vacuum. And you're not actually cheering this level of oversight being applied universally.

Which is why I said in another post, if you want to praise the merits of eliminating carve-outs... that is nearly impossible to do broadly and actually keep reality in the discussion. Because there are times its good, and times it's bad.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What I can say is that, in general, when a spotlight is put on a show quality and/or safety issue by sites like this one and the one run by "unscrupulous," the issues tend to get fixed much quicker.
So again.. something completely unrelated and/or not dependent on the idea of state oversight. So pretty much not a relevant example.

lazyboy97o

Maybe it's not based on a genuine need, but there IS a genuine need that the inspections might help.
The end does not justify the means.

So you agree that additional oversight of the Walt Disney World monorail by the Florida DOT is necessary for the safety of guests and Cast Members.
Not just being cosmetic doesn’t mean there is an urgent risk. Structural concerns are not binary, they exist across a wide spectrum. The Surfside condominium tower that collapsed stood for decades with serious structural deficiencies. Spalling isn’t just cosmetic, efforts from design through maintenance should be undertaken to avoid it, it should be addressed promptly, but it is also often the result of the very nature of concrete.

Casper Gutman

But I've been reliably informed that this will lead to a complete shutdown of the monorail for weeks at a time with ex-mafia members performing the inspections and shaking down poor Mickey for political concessions.
The governor has stated, very openly, that the current push for oversight of which the monorail inspection is part is an attempt to “shake down poor Mickey for political concessions.” He wants to use punitive government interference to control the ideological content of Disney’s products. He has publically stated this.

I am incredibly tired of people ignoring recent events and, more generally, pretending it is still 2012, ignoring the seismic political and cultural shifts that have convulsed the nation. This act of political pretense usually involves either conspicuous naïveté (“no one would ever do that”) or protective cynicism (“everyone has always done that”) in the face of mountains of contradictory evidence. It’s exhausting - and it’s intended to be.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Just read your line out loud... you're basically saying "this might help". Again, head in sand to everything else... yes, having the government at your front door "might help". But those cases where it "might help" is not a reason to give up limited government.

tissandtully

The person was fair and said suspect.

What we DO Know, and everyone should admit, is Disney's Monorails should not have panels and doors falling off or safety overrides failing as often as they do.
An outside source inspection is not guaranteed to help, but it sure sounds like it is needed. Regardless of the cause people find with it.
you overestimate the state's ability to do the job better, let's look at the Freefall tower... the state inspected that and for whatever reason, maybe it wasn't often enough, but someone died cause the operators messed with the ride

lazyboy97o

If it still weren't fixed as we speak, would you support at least a one-time FDOT inspection of the system, despite the political issues at play?
Not really. For one, I’m not a big regulation guy. Second, I know legitimate remediation and repairs can also sometimes take longer than might be initially assumed.

tissandtully

Not really. For one, I’m not a big regulation guy. Second, I know legitimate remediation and repairs can also sometimes take longer than might initially assumed.
We really don't know if this was a known issue that was already seen and deemed to be safe as well, until they got around to fixing it.

Brian

So again.. something completely unrelated and/or not dependent on the idea of state oversight. So pretty much not a relevant example.
I'm sure the state inspectors, assuming they are knowledgeable as to structural integrity of concrete, would have intervened in the spalling issue.

Plus, if they're as politically motivated as some here claim they are, they'd probably text their boss some photos, and FDOT would end up putting out a press release about "dangerous conditions" at WDW, while the boss gets a promotion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom