News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I cannot remember in my nearly 57 years residing in this state and nearly 40 years working in state government a politician, much less the governor, using the weight of the state to punish a major source of the state's revenues for releasing a statement about a bill it felt impacted a segment of its employees. And that's ALL that happened on TWDC's part...Chapek released a statement about HB1557. AFTER he privately spoke to DeSantis.
As I have said, I am not comfortable with the gov's actions...and this isn't the time or place to review the records on executive overreach of other gov's or presidents.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
As I have said, I am not comfortable with the gov's actions...and this isn't the time or place to review the records of executive overreach of other gov's or presidents.

After over 50 years of relative quiet on the part of the state, this IS the time to review executive overreach, including the past. If the state had decided 10 years ago that there were concerns about the existence and operation of RCID, inspections of rides and transportation, presented easily verifiable reasons fur said concerns, attempted to work with the corporation to address and resolve them, I might agree with your position. But that's not the situation. So one HAS to ask WHY? Why NOW?

celluloid

Well, lets compare to other state run/maintained systems with respect to safety, highways, bridges, ports, public transport, are they being maintained to the standard that this obviously partisan legislation is targeting?

I don't know individual bridges. But if the standards are so low, than Disney has nothing to hide.

Dranth

I think it is possible that they will try to stick it to Disney from time to time...but I am not leaping to "palms of inspectors being greased." Sorry, just not a plausible scenario in this situation.

Also, Aungst has experience in tourism and commercial development while Sasso has experience in construction litigation. Relevant IMO. But yes, all appointed by the gov.
As mentioned before not every inspector is devoid of ethics, but some are and even when that isn't the case, sometimes it doesn't matter. Let's be honest, there is no area of work that doesn't have its fair share of questionable people.

As an example, I dated a woman who was a state health inspector many years back and she failed multiple places only to have the higher ups come behind her and alter her reports so that the establishments would pass. They basically told her that those owners were connected to state and local officials as either family or donors. She did her job honestly and forces completely out of her control manipulated things to the result they wanted.

Also, as you mentioned the board appointees, I think looking at who the Governor appointed should really be all anyone needs to do to see exactly what is going on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Lilofan

But...not in this thread...that is what I am saying. It would take us off topic.

My position? My position is I don't like the actions of the gov or legislature. I feel they went too far...

Culture wars and an election.
Whatever war DeSantis is in is certainly turning away members of his own party.

DCBaker

Premium Member
More from the Orlando Sentinel -

"A Senate committee advanced a plan Tuesday that would allow for state inspections of the attraction’s 14.7-mile monorail, which averages an estimated 150,000 passengers a day."

----

"FDOT inspects other tram systems in Florida, including the one at Orlando International Airport, said state Sen. Nick DiCeglie, R-Indian Rocks Beach, sponsor of the monorail plan.

Inspections will be scheduled at a time agreeable to both the state and Disney, he said. The measure gives the state the power to suspend service to ensure the safety and welfare of inspectors and passengers.

“If there are any safety issues, having a complete suspension is really going to be an action of last resort,” DiCeglie said."

Ayla

"A Senate committee advanced a plan Tuesday that would allow for state inspections of the attraction’s 14.7-mile monorail, which averages an estimated 150,000 passengers a day."

----

"FDOT inspects other tram systems in Florida, including the one at Orlando International Airport, said state Sen. Nick DiCeglie, R-Indian Rocks Beach, sponsor of the monorail plan.

Inspections will be scheduled at a time agreeable to both the state and Disney, he said. The measure gives the state the power to suspend service to ensure the safety and welfare of inspectors and passengers.

“If there are any safety issues, having a complete suspension is really going to be an action of last resort,” DiCeglie said."

The bolded sentence is where the issue comes into play.

twilight mitsuk

----

So who inspects the hogwarts express?

Brian

But I've been reliably informed that this will lead to a complete shutdown of the monorail for weeks at a time with ex-mafia members performing the inspections and shaking down poor Mickey for political concessions.

lazyboy97o

They aren't assuming the worst in all inspectors, they are assuming that the inspector assigned to the monorails would be hand picked to and instructed to look for absolutely any and everything to keep the beams shut down. Basically that all aren't bad, but if 1 is, that's who will get sent. I'm well outside my knowledge as to if this can/does happen, but I think that's what the assumptions are.
It doesn’t even need to get to that level. You write the processes and criteria to make things difficult. If a drive tire’s pressure being off by a minuscule mint require the system to be shut down and all drive tires checked then that’s what will happen. Who doesn’t really matter, an honest inspector has to follow the rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom