News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Surferboy567

It runs on a cable.

If you don't like my previous analogies because you get off at the same place you got on, then the Harambe train to Rafiki's Planet Watch.
I think the Harambe train is also transportation. Just like the Hogwarts Express.

Peoplemover is a ride. WDW Railroad is technically transportation as well.

The act doesn’t target Universal though, so I guess it doesn’t matter what we consider the Hogwarts Express.

celluloid

3% of all bridges in FL are considered structurally deficient.

Which is actually a low number, nationwide.

Sounds pretty good. And it does not seem to be something that would shut down a monorail. So any argument saying that FL would somehow be harsher on Disney would be weird.

lazyboy97o

But I again point to the ABC issue of late. The Gov tells the liquor board to go and investigate these venues... and what does the investigation find? No violations.

But as I said in my other post, I don't think the Gov needs them to nitpick or find issues... just having the oversight, the threat, and the ability to force you over some speed bumps is power enough to make the move have some teeth.
In some of those cases they’re moving forward with trying to revoke licenses despite the staff no finding cause.

celluloid

I think the Harambe train is also transportation. Just like the Hogwarts Express.

Peoplemover is a ride. WDW Railroad is technically transportation as well.

The act doesn’t target Universal though, so I guess it doesn’t matter what we consider the Hogwarts Express.

The Hogwarts Express for fun fact purposes and technical information, is also a cable based ride. It is more akin to a Skyliner chairlift system as it is the same tech inline cable railways use. A pulley system, not an actual powered vehicle railroad.

They also, have not had doors fall off and structural integrity questioned as often as the Monorails have in the last five years and is not past its designed intended service life.

Brian

They also, have not had doors fall off and structural integrity questioned as often as the Monorails have in the last five years and is not past its designed intended service life.
Right? Some of the same people decrying the idea of additional inspections of the monorail system are the same people who were rightfully concerned in the thread about this issue:

This issue was, thankfully, fixed quite quickly. But if not for the reporting of Bioreconstruct, and the subsequent attention the issue received on sites like this one and others, I suspect it would have taken longer to be addressed.

tanc

I don't know the technicalities behind all this and the gray areas, but it's going to be really interesting if this gets implemented. My guess is we will probably see more downtime with monorails since the expectations will be higher. Despite making a joke about it earlier, I do think it would be pretty cool to get modernized monorails, but at the same time I don't see Disney properly investing into them. It feels like a lose lose situation, unless if they really were to redo the monorails and have them turn out superior... which I just don't see happening.

lazyboy97o

Right? Some of the same people decrying the idea of additional inspections of the monorail system are the same people who were rightfully concerned in the thread about this issue:

This issue was, thankfully, fixed quite quickly. But if not for the reporting of Bioreconstruct, and the subsequent attention the issue received on sites like this one and others, I suspect it would have taken longer to be addressed.

Because they’re completely unrelated.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This issue was, thankfully, fixed quite quickly. But if not for the reporting of Bioreconstruct, and the subsequent attention the issue received on sites like this, I suspect it would have taken longer to be addressed.
Keywords... "I suspect"

AKA this is not actual proof of anything because you don't actually know how long it was this way, nor the normal response time, nor anything about if the company knew about it or it's intents towards it.

Smiley/OCD

To me yes...I don't like attacks on their character because people don't like the gov. I don't find it difficult to hold that position while at the same time being uncomfortable with the gov's recent decision making...
I don’t think that the average person is saying that the inspectors are going in with malice as much as they will be given their marching orders from their superiors and up the ladder leading to an office in Tallahassee.
I think the inspectors will be going in with the attitude of not making stuff up but rather not showing ANY room for interpretation. A retail manager has been given his marching orders from their DM to terminate a subpar employee…how? They get a write up for being 3.00 over/under on their registers…2.99, no write up…3.00 write up…3 write ups and it’s termination. You find the penny to make the 3.00, and terminate.
The team will not be given any leeway to interpret their findings…if you don’t think instances like this don’t go on, you are truly naive. It has, does and will go on. Will the inspectors be dishonest? Nope…will they pass something that might be in the margin of error or in the inspectors discretion to pass or fail? Nope, and that’s a part of how they will attempt to make Disney’s life miserable.

celluloid

This issue was, thankfully, fixed quite quickly. But if not for the reporting of Bioreconstruct, and the subsequent attention the issue received on sites like this, I suspect it would have taken longer to be addressed.

Because they’re completely unrelated.

If a company is not trusted enough to make their transportation safe. Than it understandable why an outside transportation regulation inspection may bring some good things. Regardless of the initial reason being questionable in timing.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don’t think that the average person is saying that the inspectors are going in with malice as much as they will be given their marching orders from their superiors and up the ladder leading to an office in Tallahassee.
I think the inspectors will be going in with the attitude of not making stuff up but rather not showing ANY room for interpretation. A retail manager has been given his marching orders from their DM to terminate a subpar employee…how? They get a write up for being 3.00 over/under on their registers…2.99, no write up…3.00 write up…3 write ups and it’s termination. You find the penny to make the 3.00, and terminate.
The team will not be given any leeway to interpret their findings…if you don’t think instances like this don’t go on, you are truly naive. It has, does and will go on. Will the inspectors be dishonest? Nope…will they pass something that might be in the margin of error or in the inspectors discretion to pass or fail? Nope, and that’s a part of how they will attempt to make Disney’s life miserable.
I was going to like this post...then saw the little shot in there, hesitated...but liked it anyways. 🤷‍♂️ :D

Stripes

Premium Member
It appears the amendment went through committee today without changing the language to say “independent districts created by special act” instead of “local act.”

Despite the amendment meant to target Disney, it doesn’t. RCID was created by a special act of the Florida legislature not a local act by Orange and Osceola counties.

Brian

Keywords... "I suspect"

AKA this is not actual proof of anything because you don't actually know how long it was this way, nor the normal response time, nor anything about if the company knew about it or it's intents towards it.
You're correct. I don't keep in touch with anyone in transportation or any other department with knowledge of maintenance issues such as these, and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to provide "proof."

What I can say is that, in general, when a spotlight is put on a show quality and/or safety issue by sites like this one and the one run by "unscrupulous," the issues tend to get fixed much quicker.

celluloid

Keywords... "I suspect"

The person was fair and said suspect.

What we DO Know, and everyone should admit, is Disney's Monorails should not have panels and doors falling off or safety overrides failing as often as they do.
An outside source inspection is not guaranteed to help, but it sure sounds like it is needed. Regardless of the cause people find with it.

lazyboy97o

If a company is not trusted enough to make their transportation safe. Than it understandable why an outside transportation regulation inspection may bring some good things. Regardless of the initial reason being questionable in timing.
The ends do not justify the means. You are just trying to obfuscate the actual motivation which gives it legitimacy. Every abuse of power is justified by some need. If this was based on a genuine need then it would apply uniformly across the state, not to just one very particularly type of special district that wasn’t even properly identified because this has not been properly considered.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I mean, none of us are structural engineers (and if any of us are, none of us have inspected that site), so nobody actually knows if that issue even needed attention. It could have been entirely cosmetic but within tolerances for safe operation of the system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom