News DeSantis moves to bring state safety oversight of the Walt Disney World Monorail including suspending the service for inspections

Dan Deesnee

So if the state does an inspection on the monorail, any idea what the downtime would be? I'm assuming a few days at least, maybe even a few weeks?

That doesn't even take into account if they actually find an issue, which can have certain sections of the monorail pathway shut down for months...

I like some of what the Desantis has done in general (generally, not specifically with the Disney situation), but this is getting out of hand. Some people save up their whole lives to go to Disney and now because of out of control politicians their whole trip could be ruined.

celluloid

I would probably be ok with inspections if the purpose of them was to solve those problems, but we all know that is not the case.

That is fair. You cannot like the reason it is coming about, but you would have to believe that everyone that will be involved will only act on corruption to make it a forever bad thing to go into place.

You are ok with inspections regardless. An extreme example, I don't like the way we have much of our modern medical knowledge, but I am glad we use the knowledge.

You don't like the guy and the appearance of timing and reason it is being proposed, and that is fair. It does not mean that every inspector from the state and method will be working to shut them down. That would go into conspiracy mode you have to believe everyone is corrupt and wants to shut Disney monorails down.

Casper Gutman

You have zero evidence though....that is the thing. You're basing it solely on the gov's actions rather than how these types of inspections work in practice today, which is just not evidence for what you are suggesting is going to occur. In actuality, what you proposed in that post is highly unlikely and really sounds like fear mongering. If the inspectors go in and continue to find all these costly violations as you suggest and continue to demand more, then that would show Disney maintenance is in shambles...
A motivated safety inspector can ALWAYS find a violation. “Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime.”

You’re positing that safety inspectors are America’s Last Honest Men, incorruptible by the administration that hires and pays them. It’s incredibly willfully naive.

lazyboy97o

A motivated safety inspector can ALWAYS find a violation. “Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime.”
This. And in some ways you want a strait laced, by the book inspector because they’ll follow the book when it says a minor issue requires reporting and shutting down the system until resolved.

Kamikaze

You have zero evidence though....that is the thing. You're basing it solely on the gov's actions rather than how these types of inspections work in practice today, which is just not evidence for what you are suggesting is going to occur. In actuality, what you proposed in that post is highly unlikely and really sounds like fear mongering. If the inspectors go in and continue to find all these costly violations as you suggest and continue to demand more, then that would show Disney maintenance is in shambles...
You've obviously never dealt with city/local inspectors.

If they want to find a problem - they do. If they don't want to - they don't. Unless its an absolutely egregious problem, they typically don't do anything except say 'get it fixed' and move on.

Disney wouldn't have that much of an issue with the state doing inspections - its what happens in California; the state actually has a division of OSHA specifically for amusement park rides. However, the issue is that these inspections, if ordered and carried out by people DeSantis appoints, might not be in good faith.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

You’re positing that safety inspectors are America’s Last Honest Men, incorruptible by the administration that hires and pays them. It’s incredibly willfully naive.
I am attempting to steer you away from negative assumptions, but I see I am failing miserably. You are assuming the worst in them, and I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt (and there is a lot of doubt). I am comfortable with where I stand when it comes to this particular topic..as I am comfortable with being uncomfortable about the gov's actions.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

If they want to find a problem - they do. If they don't want to - they don't. Unless its an absolutely egregious problem, they typically don't do anything except say 'get it fixed' and move on.

Disney wouldn't have that much of an issue with the state doing inspections - its what happens in California; the state actually has a division of OSHA specifically for amusement park rides. However, the issue is that these inspections, if ordered and carried out by people DeSantis appoints, might not be in good faith.
Thanks for sharing..but again, I will give them the benefit of the doubt rather than throwing them under the bus due to hatred of the gov.

LSLS

I am attempting to steer you away from negative assumptions, but I see I am failing miserably. You are assuming the worst in them, and I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt (and there is a lot of doubt). I am comfortable with where I stand when it comes to this particular topic..as I am comfortable with being uncomfortable about the gov's actions.
They aren't assuming the worst in all inspectors, they are assuming that the inspector assigned to the monorails would be hand picked to and instructed to look for absolutely any and everything to keep the beams shut down. Basically that all aren't bad, but if 1 is, that's who will get sent. I'm well outside my knowledge as to if this can/does happen, but I think that's what the assumptions are.

Lilofan

The one aspect Disney knows is if a state inspector finds violations this can be public knowledge and the whole world will know it and may think 2x on their future WDW vacation. When a Disney cast member safety inspector inspects rides and show then violations are kept in house and the dirty laundry doesn't get out to the public.

Kamikaze

Thanks for sharing..but again, I will give them the benefit of the doubt rather than throwing them under the bus due to hatred of the gov.
Who? I didn't specifically mention anyone. There's no one to give any 'benefit of the doubt' to.

I also mentioned how inspections typically work in the 'real world'. Anything to say about that?

page mr. morrow

Dumb question maybe but does this go into effect immediately? Can they technically shut down the monorail starting today or is there more that needs to be done before this starts happening

Kamikaze

Nope, no concerns....
But it completely contradicts your stance here ... if DeSantis appoints/hires Joey Bagofsnacks to inspect the monorail and tells him to find problems, what do you think good old Joey is going to do?

Note that I'm not saying anything about any existing state inspectors, and therefore am not impugning anyone's credibility. Thereby making your objection to the discourse irrelevant.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
But it completely contradicts your stance here ... if DeSantis appoints/hires Joey Bagofsnacks to inspect the monorail and tells him to find problems, what do you think good old Joey is going to do?
If I don't think your scenario is plausible, why would I have any concerns about it?

Kamikaze

Dumb question maybe but does this go into effect immediately? Can they technically shut down the monorail starting today or is there more that needs to be done before this starts happening
It would be based on the date of the bill (if passed) taking effect, which is July 1, 2023.

Lilofan

Some contractors and companies have bribed inspectors to look the other way or give them a passing mark and that's real world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom