Deputy charged with breaking into car at Disney, stealing kids' money while on duty

Timekeeper

Sorry but I take serious issue with this. I do not lie on my reports. I do not fudge the details. If the prosecutor cannot convict someone after they have failed my field sobriety test, and then blew over the legal limit, then they need to be replaced. But I'm not going to lie. Saying that most officers do lie is absolutely ridiculous. If we lie in a report and it comes out that we have then all of our past cases get put under scrutiny. We don't need that crap. Do some officers lie? Yes, some. But those idiots need to be replaced as well. Talk about someone getting off on a technicality.

I never said that you, personally, lie(d). And I never restricted the comment to DUI investigations. That was just a common example.

"Some" may be your experience. "Most," on the other hand, is the common experience in actual practice. And sure, some details might get "fudged" without malicious intent. But the fact of the matter is, most officers will have engaged in a "fudging" at some point in their careers (whether intentional or otherwise), and most of those will - under oath - deny doing so. :cry:

Edit: To clarify, I'm not accusing law enforcement officers, and no one else, of dishonesty. Everyone, literally everyone, lies. It's part of being a human. And cops are human. It's a simple as that.

G00fyDad

I never said that you, personally, lie(d). And I never restricted the comment to DUI investigations. That was just a common example.

"Some" may be your experience. "Most," on the other hand, is the common experience in actual practice. And sure, some details might get "fudged" without malicious intent. But the fact of the matter is, most officers will have engaged in a "fudging" at some point in their careers (whether intentional or otherwise), and most of those will - under oath - deny doing so. :cry:

Whatever. Try to keep it to things you personally know about. I will. :rolleyes: Saying that even most lie is an generalization and an exaggeration at best. You are stating that the Conflict Model of the American justice system is the norm and it is just not the case.

JIMINYCR

People leave stuff in their cars? Especially money?...

At least he was caught and will pay for his dishonesty.
One of my first thoughts though, was why was there money left in the vehicle at Disney? Don't read anything into this, I'm not blaming the kids for any of this, I just think its funny because if my son was going to Disney he would want his money with him to spend. :sohappy: Thinking maybe this entire thing was set up to catch him in the act, money in sight to see if he would grab the bait.

Timekeeper

Thinking maybe this entire thing was set up to catch him in the act, money in sight to see if he would grab the bait.

If they had enough of a reason to go through the trouble of setting up "bait," or just to monitor him, then they had enough of a reason to terminate him without having to "catch him in the act." For most of us mere mortals, if our employers are not satisfied with our work ethic, or there are any questions pertaining to our honesty, we're not going to have the benefit of participating in a bait operation before we're terminated. Unfortunately, police officers (and plenty of other government work positions) have to really try pretty hard to get fired. :cry:

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I don't. I know I get funny looks from the baggage check security, but I even take out the front dash and carry it with me.....

I have a mini van, last month when we went, my stepson always had his nintendo ds in the car, we hid it in the console whenever we parked. I never forgot to lock the car, but with 2 kids and a baby I could understand how someone would forget especially when they are excited and kids are excited to go.

WED Purist

Small Detail

One item that the local media brought up is that he was carrying his firearm during the robbery, so it went from larceny to felony armed robbery, up to 30 years.

Timekeeper

To serve and protect? Hero... or zero?

kirksmurawa3.jpg_edited-1.jpg

BOLO Deputy Kirk Smurawa

:cry:

Obviously people should lock their cars and hide away any valuables, but people just loose their heads when they get to Disney! One time I pulled into the parking lot and parked behind a car that had its door open. The family was nowhere to be found, just jumped out of the car, headed into the parks, and left the rear door open!

I flagged down one of the parking staff, and they told me it happens all the time! :ROFLOL:

EvilQueen-T

People leave stuff in their cars? Especially money?...

I personally don't carry to much cash when I go on vacation and I try not to bring anything I would cry over if lost but sometimes I don't even really want to take my cell phone with me into the park but it's a catch 22 when you're on vacation... leave something in the room and worry that housekeeping may take it, leave it in your car and anyone else can take it. It's always a risk since there are scum bags everywhere. The sad part is he'll have his temporary suspension and never get more than a slap on the wrist of probation which he can violate over and over and over and over...

Bob Saget

Maybe we're being a tad too harsh on this officer. Granted law enforcement receive respectable retirement pensions and other benefits, but their annual salary isn't top-notch considering the risk they endure every day on the job..especially at a place like the DHS parking lot.

mergatroid

Maybe we're being a tad too harsh on this officer. Granted law enforcement receive respectable retirement pensions and other benefits, but their annual salary isn't top-notch considering the risk they endure every day on the job..especially at a place like the DHS parking lot.

Yes with the heat and risk of lightning strikes, I'm sure it's worse than a battlefield out there :animwink:

kylewr86

Not even close to a valid excuse.I bet they make similar pensions like around my home which is hired in as a new cop around $20/hour.Pretty sure thats good, not any reason to steal.

secondly, they are not forced to be cops,yes it can be dangerous but it was there choice, they knew they pay and benefits before choosing to do it.

I am full time student and full time job where I work as a Multi Skilled tech at a hospital,I have lives in my hands every single day and my split decisions usually decide their fate and make half of what they get without the state benefits and i still wouldn't do what he did.

mergatroid

Not even close to a valid excuse.I bet they make similar pensions like around my home which is hired in as a new cop around $20/hour.Pretty sure thats good, not any reason to steal.

secondly, they are not forced to be cops,yes it can be dangerous but it was there choice, they knew they pay and benefits before choosing to do it.

I am full time student and full time job where I work as a Multi Skilled tech at a hospital,I have lives in my hands every single day and my split decisions usually decide their fate and make half of what they get without the state benefits and i still wouldn't do what he did.

I'm thinking he was being sarcastic with his post there :animwink:

wdwmomof3

Something tells me if he was under surveillance, this wasn't an isolated incident

My thoughts exactly.

Not that it is right by any means what the "officer" did, but I was thinking the same thing. Why would you leave your car unlocked? I don't even leave my car unlocked when I go into a gas station! Nevermind if I'm gonna be in a park all day!!!

My guess is that they didn't mean to leave the car unlocked. I can't tell you how many times I have walked back to mine to make sure that it was locked.

I was thinking the same thing. Just the other day I went to the gas station and left my kids in the car with the engine running. I thought to myself, self, you should really lock the doors. What if someone comes by and tries to steal the car. I mean really. Besides, I usually keep lots of money in there and I should be more responsible than to just walk away and take for granted that it will be there when I come back.
We all need to have more personal responsibility for our belongings. :lol:

Not trying to be mean here, but leaving children in the car while you run into any store is not being responsible. I actually watched a woman in a van do this just this week. She got out, left the door open, and walked more than 30 feet away to get into the store. Her young children were sitting there in their carseats, driver door open, car running, and the mom is inside. How stupid was that?:mad:

Timekeeper

Not trying to be mean here, but leaving children in the car while you run into any store is not being responsible. I actually watched a woman in a van do this just this week. She got out, left the door open, and walked more than 30 feet away to get into the store. Her young children were sitting there in their carseats, driver door open, car running, and the mom is inside. How stupid was that?:mad:

Not only is it irresponsible, but it's illegal. :brick:

Florida Statutes 316.1975 Unattended motor vehicle.

(1) A person driving or in charge of any motor vehicle may not permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, and removing the key. A vehicle may not be permitted to stand unattended upon any perceptible grade without stopping the engine and effectively setting the brake thereon and turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the street. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

(2) This section does not apply to the operator of:

(a) An authorized emergency vehicle while in the performance of official duties and the vehicle is equipped with an activated antitheft device that prohibits the vehicle from being driven;
(b) A licensed delivery truck or other delivery vehicle while making deliveries; or
(c) A solid waste or recovered materials collection vehicle while collecting such items.

Clever Name

I wish Walt Disney World truly would become its very own world & country with its own police department and all.

They enjoy that authority now. They have decided, at this time, not to use that authority. To wit:

Indeed, in Sipkema v. Reedy Creek Improvement District, the Florida Fifth District Court of Appeal indicated that the District did not directly possess law enforcement authority.

However, even though the Legislature did not provide the District directly with these powers, both the city legislation and the District’s legislation provided for a system where the cities could provide these services within the unincorporated areas of the District upon agreement of the entities. :wave:

The effect of the arrangement was that, since the company controlled all of the entities, it maintained the power to provide police services, hospital services, municipal court services, and the like within the entire boundaries of the District.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom