Deputy charged with breaking into car at Disney, stealing kids' money while on duty

G00fyDad

10 years and already forced out for being a tool. That $55 could buy him a cheap plastic retirement gold watch at Wal-Mart on I-4.

Contrary to common belief, "breaking" does not require an actual "breaking in." For example, even if a window or door is unlocked, simply "opening" it constitutes "breaking" for purposes of establishing the act being prohibited by law.

Yes. Breaking and Entering is still a charge even if the door was wide open.

When I had my Jeep(s) I left them unlocked since they were soft tops. trust me. losing $55 in that instance would be much preferable to the $400-$500 for a new top. That's min mum. Now, obviously, this was a mini-van so those rules don't apply, just throwing that out to those who wonder why cars would be left unlock. I had my Jeeps "broken" into quite a few times. But besides a few burned CD's there was nothing ever in the car more than say 50 cents.

Anyway, on topic, this is rather sad to hear. It's getting to the point on whether or not we can even trust those we "employ" to protect us.

Timekeeper

Anyway, on topic, this is rather sad to hear. It's getting to the point on whether or not we can even trust those we "employ" to protect us.

It's not so much that it's "getting to the point" now; it (corruption) has always been a problem from the dawn of time. But now that mass communication has evolved, public scrutiny and ridicule seems to be more of a deterrent than potential legal ramifications.

gators11

Something tells me if he was under surveillance, this wasn't an isolated incident

This was the conclusion of an internal investigation by the Orange County Sheriff's Office

I already thought they had some rules which the Orlando Police and Orange County Sheriff's must follow while on WDW property.

Plus don't they have rules that the Orlando news media can't actually report on WDW property because I always seen them standing outside the entrance at the Crossroads on 535.

This deputy is considered a "Resource Deputy" each theme/water park and the TTC will have one. They patrol the parking lots and give a presence at the entrance and assist if Disney security needs it in regard to theft, shoplifting etc.

The media can't report of property simply because Disney owns the land, road, sidewalk etc and maintains them so it's private property and they can dicate who can and can't come on there property.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is also why you dont leave valuables (including purses) in plain sight.....especially in Florida....:brick:

Not because we need to hide our valuables from the police. If that is the case then Florida has a much bigger problem.

chama1

Opd

Corruption/Crime is everywhere. Even Disney has crime issues. Visitors get caught up in the "magical" portion they forget that some visitors are not there to visit the park. Many people don't lock their cars, let their kids shop, go to the pools, etc. at the resorts unsupervised. The same parents would never do this back home, but for some reason Disney is "safe" at all times in their minds. Sorry that's not the case. This cop lost more then his job for $55.00, a lesson he'll never, ever forget.

SMS55

There's always a bad apple in the bunch. No matter where you go, there will always be a dirty cop taking advantage of his position. It's the exception, not the rule. It's safe to say most cops are good. Glad they caught him and stopped it before it became a bigger problem. Most people at Disney I think drop their guard because it's Disney. In such a massive parking lot they are all sitting ducks.

Timekeeper

It's a bit ironic how some discussions will arise in which proponents of all of Disney's policies will blindly defend Disney's decisions (such as printing a guest's "personal" information on parking tags that are to be left in plain view in their vehicle), and brush security concerns to the wayside, and accuse those who are more security-conscious of being hypersensitive... and then something like this happens. :brick:

What makes this guy extra disgusting is that he was engaged in the specific criminal act that he was entrusted to protect against. :hurl:

Pioneer Hall

I wish Walt Disney World truly would become its very own world & country with its own police department and all.

Every large organization will eventually have someone who does something regrettable like this. I am sure Disney has their share of problematic situations like this that we just don't hear about. A Disney police force wouldn't be hypnotized where they are incapable of doing something wrong. Common decency should have prevented this (and all) crimes, but this person chose to disregard that. It could happen anywhere at any time....you're just hearing about it here because it happened in Disney. The media loves to make a big deal of any story they can get their hands on when it involves the mouse.

Timekeeper

It's safe to say most cops are good.

It is? I would suggest speaking to someone who has worked (on the other side of) the industry for a while.

I would like to think that "most cops 'start off' good." You can see it in the rookies. But after some time, the job gets to them, and they succumb to the general practice of their peers. Most (more than half) lie, not because they're bad people, and not because they are inherently dishonest people, but because they feel that it's necessary to ensure the sufficient prosecution of the alleged criminals. In other words, they feel that it's justified ; that the ends justify the means. If a cop arrests someone for DUI, they're going to include a comment about "smelling an odor of alcohol" in their report, even if that is completely untrue. The way that they see it, if a person is guilty, then a simple "white lie" isn't going to hurt anybody, and they don't want to see someone who they see as guilty - getting off on a legal technicality.

Of course, all of this various between jurisdictions and departments. And some places are probably much better than others. But it's much more widespread than "one bad apple." :cry:

MKCP 1985

Those who wish for a Disney police force should read some of the threads about Disney security abuses. :lookaroun

That said, what the police officer did in this cases is inexcusable and indefensible. Blaming the victim seems absurd. As said, the police are expected to protect people from criminal behavior. If someone not in law enforcement had taken the money, this wouldn't be a news story. This is a case of a fox being hired to guard the henhouse, so to speak.

The fact you can find criminals in law enforcement everywhere is beside the point. Again, any time a police officer is caught going into a civilian's car to steal, that is a newsworthy event regardless of whether it happens at Disney World or down the streeet in your home town! This man has brought shame on the Orange County Sherriff's Office and that department will have to face the public outrage this incident will bring. Hopefully, the public outrage will result in better service in the future.

G00fyDad

I would like to think that "most cops 'start off' good." You can see it in the rookies. But after some time, the job gets to them, and they succumb to the general practice of their peers. Most (more than half) lie, not because they're bad people, and not because they are inherently dishonest people, but because they feel that it's necessary to ensure the sufficient prosecution of the alleged criminals. In other words, they feel that it's justified ; that the ends justify the means. If a cop arrests someone for DUI, they're going to include a comment about "smelling an odor of alcohol" in their report, even if that is completely untrue. The way that they see it, if a person is guilty, then a simple "white lie" isn't going to hurt anybody, and they don't want to see someone who they see as guilty - getting off on a legal technicality.

Sorry but I take serious issue with this. I do not lie on my reports. I do not fudge the details. If the prosecutor cannot convict someone after they have failed my field sobriety test, and then blew over the legal limit, then they need to be replaced. But I'm not going to lie. Saying that most officers do lie is absolutely ridiculous. If we lie in a report and it comes out that we have then all of our past cases get put under scrutiny. We don't need that crap. Do some officers lie? Yes, some. But those idiots need to be replaced as well. Talk about someone getting off on a technicality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom