Demo bus at Disney Transport

wdwfan65

Banned
Does anyone remember or do they still have those semi buses.They had a semi tractor front end and the bus part was the trailor ,never rode one but saw a lot of them a couple of years ago. Havent seen any the last couple of years.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Originally posted by wdwfan65
Does anyone remember or do they still have those semi buses.They had a semi tractor front end and the bus part was the trailor ,never rode one but saw a lot of them a couple of years ago. Havent seen any the last couple of years.

this was answered a few posts ago..

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by Invero
The only axle that is steerable is the front axle. As for how it reacts when backing up... I can only offer you the rules of backing up a bus.

Rule # 1 - NEVER back up your bus.
Rule # 2 - If you absolutly MUST back up your bus, refer to rule #1.

Wow, I feel priveliged (and/or lucky), I was on a Disney Bus that had to back up. After our driver went the wrong way into the MK bus area he headed back out, turned left (toward the monorail barn) then tried to turn around in a little driveway. It didn't work so we shuffled back and forth until he could get back on the road.

The reason he went the wrong way was because he was telling a story about how, after being married so long, he can't drive anywhere without his wife (or some other woman) next to him telling him where to go.

WDWFREAK53

This is actually a serious question for Tyler...

Ok, if they did convert all buses to this articulated model...would the current park stops be "long" enough? I'm just thinking at closing time when it's bus after bus lined up at stops...would they have to lengthen the size of the stops at the parks?

s25843

Originally posted by DisneyPhD

The reason he went the wrong way was because he was telling a story about how, after being married so long, he can't drive anywhere without his wife (or some other woman) next to him telling him where to go.
:lol:

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by WDWFREAK53
This is actually a serious question for Tyler...

Ok, if they did convert all buses to this articulated model...would the current park stops be "long" enough? I'm just thinking at closing time when it's bus after bus lined up at stops...would they have to lengthen the size of the stops at the parks?

They'd never convert ALL the buses. Just a small percentage, if even that. As for the length of the bus stop, they are designed to accomodate 40 foot buses. 60 foot artics would hang out... *shrug*

s25843

Hey Folks Remember These?

Attachments

• superbus1.jpg
    superbus1.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,454

Donfan

Yes. They could actually get a lot of people into those. We got picked up to go back to Dixie Landings from one of the parks (I think EPCOT) in one of those one night and they really cleared the line out.

Woody13

Originally posted by DMC-12
Looks like a horse trailer :lol:

That's why we nicknamed them "cattle cars"! :lol: And thank you niteobsrvr, Invero and s25843 for the great information about these buses. Those buses were fun because they were different. Those were the days! :cool:

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by s25843
I would imagine they would cost more to run...

There would be just a barely noticeable increase in the amount of fuel used. You have to keep in mind a lot of times a bus is just idling or just a bit more.

lewisc

I guess I'm the only dissenter. I think these buses will take longer to load (and hold fewer guests ) than the parking lot trams.

Other than park opening and closings I think it'll be bad for resorts. We'll either have longer waits for buses or the buses will make more stops.

Might make sense if Disney ever goes to satellite parking lots or even sets up a second TTC near DTD.

WDWFanatic

I miss the little flags that use to be on the sides of the bus even though the new signs are much better. I think i still have the old flag chart somewhere.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by lewisc
I guess I'm the only dissenter. I think these buses will take longer to load (and hold fewer guests ) than the parking lot trams.

Other than park opening and closings I think it'll be bad for resorts. We'll either have longer waits for buses or the buses will make more stops.

Might make sense if Disney ever goes to satellite parking lots or even sets up a second TTC near DTD.

I am guessing that the cars on the trams each hold about 25 to 30 peopleif they are filled to capacity (a lot of times they aren't). There are 6 cars per tram which means about 180 folks per tram. The VanHool AG300 has a capacity of 160 plus the driver. This would be about 30 seated and 130 standing for the short parking lot trip. Given the fact that these buses have 4 doors, loading and unloading should be relatively quick and simple even if a guest has lots of items like strollers to bring on-board.

As for the resorts, the extra capacity would do wonders for places like the Port Orleans Resort, Carribean Beach, All-Stars and PopCentury (when completed). These resorts often fill up their buses very quickly and with no predictable patterns even in Mid-day.

A standard bus holds about 72 people, compared to the 160 of the AG300. In effect every AG300 that comes through the resort would be like having two buses at once. This is often what happens when these resorts get busy anyway, except you have to wait 10 to 15 mins for the extra bus to come from its dispatch location and pick people up.

As far as making extra stops, I just dont see it. It still wouldnt be practical to mix resorts in different geographical areas except very late at night just as we sometimes do now. Nor do I see the frequency of the buses increasing from approx every 20 minutes.

The extra capacity would keep people from waiting as long in the case of park exits and opens as well as those odd itmes druing the day when hundreds of people decided to move from place to place for no apparent reason.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
This is a little off the subject but, I just love it when the bus or boat drivers tell stories, jokes, or trivia. I remember some bus drivers used to tell us about upcoming projects and stuff at Disney World. I was a little disappointed this year when only once our boat driver, Captain Ron, joked with all the passengers and told us trivia. But I guess bus drivers may have a little bit more to do like get the guest safely to the parks! I know I am sure glad I don't have to drive around with all the crazy tourists! Thanks! :wave:

Bagheera

Originally posted by WDWFanatic
I miss the little flags that use to be on the sides of the bus even though the new signs are much better. I think i still have the old flag chart somewhere.

Those were the days!!!

"No, that flag is green on the top and brown on the bottom. We want the bus that's brown on the top and green on the bottom!" :lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom