Demo bus at Disney Transport

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Cool!!!!:sohappy: :sohappy:

It would be great to have some of those around at closing time, but would it make sense to haul all that bus around at 2:00 in the afternoon?

Tyler, do you have any routes that could use that kind of space through-out a normal day, or would if have limited usage?

One thing I'd hate to see would be replacement of current busses with something like this, fewer trips and longer waits.

Originally posted by tenchu
Would Disney find it practical to replace the tram system with buses?

As 10 mins to wdw says, it would increase safety surely, but at the cost of increased loading/unloading times, especially for what are often pretty short journies.

I know the bus system is proven to work well between resorts, but would it be a sucess in the parking lots?

I wonder if the BACKSTAGE TOUR trams would work better where they have doors and can keep everyone seated the "tram co pilot" could close the doors from the back and you'd be in their till he opens them. no yes you could jump over them and all the other excuses but you can open the doors on busses while their moving if you know how. of course the mentioned trams are high and would probly not be able to go to the ticket and transportation center, unless the lower the road or raise the bridge that be expensive. however what about making another traffic light just before the bridge and putting in a road to cross the main traffic road. It would have gates to let the tram through and it could stop traffic untill the tram crosses. just a thought

bryon1

To Invero:

A few questions.....

*What type of Driver Licence and or endorsements do you need?

*To get hired how long does your license needs to be free from violations?

*What would be the starting pay and or union requirements?

Thanks,

bryon1

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by bryon1
To Invero:

A few questions.....

*What type of Driver Licence and or endorsements do you need?

*To get hired how long does your license needs to be free from violations?

*What would be the starting pay and or union requirements?

Thanks,

bryon1

I can answer this one....

Class B CDL with Passenger Endorsement and Airbrake Qualified. If you do not have this, Disney requires that you obtain the CDL learning permit prior to being hired. They will then train you to drive and provide you with the appropriate state driving test to obtain the license.

You must have no major violations for at least three years.

NO DUI"s, suspensions or revocations.

You will be required to provide a 3 year employment history and a 3 year residential history if you do not have a CDL. If you have a CDL you will be required to provide a 10 year employment history and possibly a 10 year residential history.

You will be required to submit employment verification forms including information about drug testing that Disney may send to all companies you have worked for in the past 3 years. ( You will need each company's Name, address, phone, and fax number.

You must pass a Department of Transportation Physical and Drug Test.

Starting Pay for drivers is $7.84 an hour.

You are not required to join a union by FLorida Law. The Bus operations department is represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Union Dues are $6.25 per week if you choose to join.

Bus operations is one of the more highly unionized departments on property. It is alos one of the departments on property with a high number of long-time employees. As such, seniority plays a very important part in scheduling. A new driver can expect to work nights (2nd shift with some starting as late as 6 or 7 pm and working till the middle of the night) and have middle of the week days off. It will be several years before you would be able to get some sort of a daytime schedule and several more after that before you could expect weekends off.

Finally, upon completion of the hiring process you will attend a week long training session to teach you to drive a bus and meet the state testing requirements. On the last day of this training, you will be administered the State of FLorida CDL driving test. You must complete this test even if you have a Class B CDL as it is also part of Disneys certification to allow you to drive their vehicles with guests.

The next two weeks will be spent learning the ins and outs of the Walt Disney World Resort Property as well as learning informaiton specific to each of the transportation hubs.

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by DMC-12
Thats it!? :eek:

That's appalling :eek: :(
Welcome to Walt Disney World! :lol:

Those new busses look pretty rad. What's it like to drive an articulated bus? Do they play well with other traffic?

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by Monorail Lime
Welcome to Walt Disney World! :lol:

Those new busses look pretty rad. What's it like to drive an articulated bus? Do they play well with other traffic?

I have yet to drive one, but they handle just like a 35 foot bus, just with a 25 foot trailer. Just have to make sure you have the extra clearance when changing lanes, etc.

Woody13

I recall that several years ago, WDW had some buses that were actually separate tractor and trailer rigs. We rode them on many occasions and informally nicknamed them "cattle cars". The trailers were shaped kind of like this;

We always enjoyed getting to ride these because they were so unusual. Who made these buses? Also, as always thanks for all the great information Invero! Also, opps! My picture looks much better in draft mode! It didn't translate well in the post.

niteobsrvr

Originally posted by Woody13
I recall that several years ago, WDW had some buses that were actually separate tractor and trailer rigs. We rode them on many occasions and informally nicknamed them "cattle cars". The trailers were shaped kind of like this;

We always enjoyed getting to ride these because they were so unusual. Who made these buses? Also, as always thanks for all the great information Invero! Also, opps! My picture looks much better in draft mode! It didn't translate well in the post.

That was the Superbus. They were sold shortly after I started driving for Disney in 2000. Don't know who makes them though.

niteobsrvr

Thats it!? :eek:

That's appalling :eek: :(

Yep, Thats it. Keep in mind most other Disney jobs start at $6.60 and hour and top out around $ 11.00 an hour after about 10 years of service. Busses tops out at 13.00 or so after 10 years under the current contract.

There are Few things to look at.

1. Drivers dont have to put up with all the crap that a normal city bus driver does including crazy people, drug dealers/users and really bad traffic.

2. Welcome to the state of FLorida where at least for now everything pays way less than up north. Part of this is due to the number of people who move to this state everyday looking for jobs. Part of this is due to the lack of competition in the job market in most of FLorida. The big industry is tourism. We dont have a lot of manufacturing and the like as one does up North.

3. While everyone beleives Disney prices to be high, keep in mind how much higher they would be if we all were paid wages equivalent to our northern counterparts.

There are pages of things that could be written here regarding cast members, guest service, our daily jobs. A point to ponder on your next visit when something isn't quite right and you are upset: IS the person immediatley in front of me where my frustration should go?

The answer is probalby not. However, if you are reasonable and treat the cast member with respect and dignity they will do their best to solve your problem. Otherwise, I ask, how many of you, for 7 dollars an hour, would tolerate some of the things that have been detailed on these boards and still be able to smile all day.

Working at Disney is a great job and over time the pay is reasonable for the amount of work related stress that occurs and the benefits are excellent. However, to many of us, a heartfelt thanks from a guest will carry us way further in the day than an extra couple of dollars on a paycheck.

Monorail Lime

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
2. Welcome to the state of FLorida where at least for now everything pays way less than up north.
Another reason pay is lower in Florida is the lack of state income tax. Those people "up north" probably don't notice their extra wages because most of it goes to the government!

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by Monorail Lime
Another reason pay is lower in Florida is the lack of state income tax. Those people "up north" probably don't notice their extra wages because most of it goes to the government!

To be honest.. I would much rather get hit with a state tax at/with a much higher wage/salary, than take a low wage w/ no state tax, anyday.

Thanks for the info niteobsrvr, & Monorail Lime :) :wave:

jt03

To be honest.. I would much rather get hit with a state tax at/with a much higher wage/salary, than take a low wage w/ no state tax, anyday.

Thanks for the info niteobsrvr, & Monorail Lime :) :wave:
Not to mention the health benefits of shoveling snow

Originally posted by Invero
I have yet to drive one, but they handle just like a 35 foot bus, just with a 25 foot trailer. Just have to make sure you have the extra clearance when changing lanes, etc.

Does the "trailer" axle steer to or will this act like a trailer and go the opposite direction when backing up?

Invero

Original Poster
Originally posted by 10 min. to wdw
Does the "trailer" axle steer to or will this act like a trailer and go the opposite direction when backing up?

The only axle that is steerable is the front axle. As for how it reacts when backing up... I can only offer you the rules of backing up a bus.

Rule # 1 - NEVER back up your bus.
Rule # 2 - If you absolutly MUST back up your bus, refer to rule #1.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom