deleted

Skibum1970

TouringPlans has done a good job at capturing average wait time for every day this decade. If you look at comparable dates before FP+ and immediately after FP+, ride times at MK roughly stayed the same. They went slightly down for a few attractions (mostly E-tickets) and slightly up on a few others. But most were within a similar range.

Epcot is different. Because the tiering only allowed you to pick one headliner, you had two other FPs to burn. SSE saw a fairly significant increase in standby wait time, because it became a more popular FP attraction than it had been previously. I suspect that once people chose their tier 1 FP, the most natural tier 2 was SSE... So many people just chose it because of that, because of anlack of compelling tier 2 attractions.

If in two years when Guardians and Rat open, they decide to move TT/Soarin/FEA to tier 2, I bet that SSE wait times will decrease.

Let's hope. I wouldn't mind seeing FP+ just go away. Like, they just turned it off, ran out the last reservations made, and then see how the rides go. Stupid, I know, but I would like to see the impact.

MAGICFLOP

I want to start off by saying.... this rumor is based on what? A buried post in a thread? I guess I am missing something here..

I predict it will be refurbished by 2038, I know this because it has been refurbished every 20 years or so in the past..

I finish by saying, it should have remained buried...

The Empress Lilly

I want to start off by saying.... this rumor is based on what? A buried post in a thread? I guess I am missing something here...
marni knows people. ;)

He archives stuff, then makes historical videos, which everybody watches so everybody sends him stuff. If you happen to be sitting on something, you send it to him if he doesn't have it. Also he's got more passwords to classified Disney Corp sites than Bob Iger.

We read his words like gospel, deciphering the revelations as prophecy. =D

TwilightZone

I have such a hard time watching these videos. They bring back wondrous moments from my childhood. Let's just hope the imagineers who are working on a potential referb can capture the emotion of the original endings. This can be done with or without a sponsor. SSE has always been one of my favourite attractions for its ingenious design and educational elements.
I can relate. I had a REALLY hard time watching Main street electrical parade videos. I miss it despite it's recentish departure.

TwilightZone

I

Personally, I think the screens were a mistake. It makes the ending smaller, by pulling you back inward to your car, which negates the feeling of grandness you get from the creative story of the history of Earth’s civilizations and the grandness of the vast space inside the gigantic sphere. The genius of the former descent was the way it hid the fact you were actually in some of the most confined spaces within the attraction. You were eased from the planetarium top back into negative space while still having the feeling of vastness.

I’m sure the next iteration of SSE will be an improvement.
You see, the screen ending of SSE is secretly brilliant because it is sublimable messaging about how we're being sucked into our screens and are missing the bigger picture in life.
Screenslaver_Incredibles_2.0.jpg

Last edited:

TwilightZone

marni knows people. ;)

He archives stuff, then makes historical videos, which everybody watches so everybody sends him stuff. If you happen to be sitting on something, you send it to him if he doesn't have it. Also he's got more passwords to classified Disney Corp sites than Bob Iger.

We read his words like gospel, deciphering the revelations as prophecy. =D
Didn't one year he got an entire D23 correct? I was blown away. Don't underestimate @marni1971

RSoxNo1

The only thing that really becomes dated fairly quickly is the last part. The rest of the ride is history-based. Honestly, if they want to avoid automatic obsolescence, just have "today's communication" be little more than a brief bit of narration and skip right to the Space section. Definitely need to go back to the "time machine" concept for the trip down, with more abstract visual effects than concrete factual information. As it stands, the ride is tremendous build-up followed by... nothing.
The finale has been historically less detailed dioramas and/or screen centric scenes. Those typically don't last as long from a relevance standpoint. The current offboard descent doesn't have much of anything to date it, but the Jib Jab cartoons certainly do. The check points for me are as follows:
  • New script and narrator
  • Less intrusive screens with the only functionality being a language selection
  • Time the line, "on this our Spaceship Earth" so that it actually gives the reveal of Earth like it did on the Irons version
  • New descent

Kman101

I had no problems with a new narrator, though why "fix" what isn't broken? (They have a bad habit of this). My real problem was the script talks down to you, and the lackluster nothing ending. They almost had it right. But like many things they fell short. I welcome a refurb but I fear what's attached. In this case, I don't think it's really overreacting to assume an IP tie and hope at the end of the day there won't be one. Again, I point out, they need to name a restaurant at a hotel Sebastian's. That tells me all I need to know about their strategy.

thepirateking

Personally, I think the screens were a mistake. It makes the ending smaller, by pulling you back inward to your car

This 100%. The old SSE imparted guests with a sense of "look at what humanity has accomplished. The world of the future is awesome and it's here now. Go embrace it!"

It was like stepping off a speedramp into the 21st century.

Replacing the descent with screens basically eliminated the descent portion of the ride. What is the point of sitting on a ride if you are looking at a small screen? As you say it completely draws you in, wasting the potential outside the vehicle. The screens would have been put to better use in the after show. It would have been no different to put the screens in a stationary vehicle sitting in the after show.

As far as comparisons to Horizons, it's apples-to-oranges. SSE riders know there's a screen in their car. The only novelty is the surprise that guests pictures are integrated into the animations. On Horizons, your vehicle exhibits new capabilities by transforming into a completely new vehicle (spaceship, submarine, desert hover thingy). The transformation was unexpected (even if the effectiveness was questionable).

That music. The lighting. The narration. The Pepper's Ghost sequences are almost 100% relevant today. Add a smartphone or two and replace the classroom animation and it holds up.

The past may not have been as great as it seems, but the Irons SSE descent definitely was.

articos

I had no problems with a new narrator, though why "fix" what isn't broken? (They have a bad habit of this). My real problem was the script talks down to you, and the lackluster nothing ending. They almost had it right. But like many things they fell short. I welcome a refurb but I fear what's attached. In this case, I don't think it's really overreacting to assume an IP tie and hope at the end of the day there won't be one. Again, I point out, they need to name a restaurant at a hotel Sebastian's. That tells me all I need to know about their strategy.
The script is awful. Thankfully, that Imagineer is no longer with WDI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom