deleted

trainplane3

I suppose any decent refurb of the ride would entail a new script and voice-actor?
Here's just a few suggestions:
-Benedict Cumberbatch
-Gal Gadot
-Anthony Hopkins
-Chris Hemsworth

or perhaps, a combo-job.

Whatever they do though, I want them to remove the on-board screens and fix the damn descent! Bring back Tomorrow's Child!
...I still want Patrick Stewart but with him returning to Star Trek, who knows about his availability. It's less about who reads the script, it's more about the script itself. It could be some no name person but as long as the script is good (better then what we have now), I wouldn't complain. I feel many would agree with that.

Greg in TN

...I still want Patrick Stewart but with him returning to Star Trek, who knows about his availability. It's less about who reads the script, it's more about the script itself. It could be some no name person but as long as the script is good (better then what we have now), I wouldn't complain. I feel many would agree with that.

Tom Hanks & Tim Allen should team up on the narration ...................................

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
5 years would put us in summer of 2023...

It's an awkward timeline as I would think they would want to have Epcot's thesis attraction open during the resort's 50th in 2021, and they would especially want it open for Epcot's 40th in 2022.

Perhaps they announce at next year's D23 (2019) and open by fall 2021?

I could see Epcot and DCA (Marvel) taking center stage at the P&R panel following SW:GE's debut.
There’s nothing to announce. This is so far from being ready to go public. Nothing could come of it.

2023 is a conservative date. Besides, it didn’t bother them for Epcot’s 25th (despite trying to have it open in time)

Last edited:

Skibum1970

It's not FP+ per se that cause the long lines. It's the tiering system at Epcot....

So, someone explained quite well how FP impacts lines. The interesting things is that SE can only handle X number of rides. So, FP+ doesn't impact that capacity per se. However, in my opinion, the impact is on the line not moving consistently. You start moving and then FP groups come in. So, the line stalls (although, if you're the one with the FP you feel pretty happy). Then, the group passes through and then the line starts moving. So, SE's wait times are longer for stand-by to accommodate FP when, if the ride was off of FP, the line times would be a little shorter but would move. I don't know if Tiering is impacting it or not. Bear all this in mind that I do not like the FP+ process at all. I'd rather show up and wait in lines without the aggravation of FP.

DAK1928

There’s nothing to announce. This is so far from being ready to go public.

2023 is a conservative date. Besides, it didn’t bother them for Epcot’s 25th (despite trying to have it open in time)

That makes sense. If they're reimagining FW as they annonced last year, I would hope some updates to SSE would be a given. The 40th would certainly be an optimistic timeline.

For clarity, in my post "open" was meant to imply that it be "operational", regardless of refurb status.

Thanks as always for the fascinating scoops!

also: what was the average attraction downtime for previous SSE overhauls?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That makes sense. If they're reimagining FW as they annonced last year, I would hope some updates to SSE would be a given. The 40th would certainly be an optimistic timeline.

For clarity, in my post "open" was meant to imply that it be "operational", regardless of refurb status.

Thanks as always for the fascinating scoops!

also: what was the average attraction downtime for previous SSE overhauls?
4 days, 100 days and 150 days

articos

From what's been said on here, and I could be wrong, but it seems they had a new finale in mind but ran out of time and money and that's what we ended up with. Really poor decision making. They just don't care if it's "good enough" and clearly guests let them get away with it. We wouldn't have nearly 30 year old shows in DHS if guests actually spoke up (I imagine guests whining is one of the reasons we're getting updated night entertainment). You can like it but still think it's time for it to go.
Both the OP and Imagineering wanted the attraction to be more interactive, the watchword at the time. The descent is difficult. There’s not a huge amount of room to work with, and It’s awkward to work there. Mostly, the screens pull attention inside the vehicle, so money spent on the surrounding sets is wasted. When the budget and schedule for the screens and programming starts to inflate, the money for the refresh of the descent is the first to get reallocated, since the assumption is no one will be looking.

Rosso11

5 years would put us in summer of 2023...

It's an awkward timeline as I would think they would want to have Epcot's thesis attraction open during the resort's 50th in 2021, and they would especially want it open for Epcot's 40th in 2022.

Perhaps they announce at next year's D23 (2019) and open by fall 2021?

I could see Epcot and DCA (Marvel) taking center stage at the P&R panel following SW:GE's debut.

The 40th of Epcot will only be a 1 day event. 2023 is a much more important date. That will be a worldwide celebration in all parks for the 100th Anniversary of the company. They will milk that for every penny they can in every park worldwide.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Space Ship Earth: A Flight Through Communications with Buzz and Woody

Sings to me...
giphy.gif

mikejs78

Premium Member
So, someone explained quite well how FP impacts lines. The interesting things is that SE can only handle X number of rides. So, FP+ doesn't impact that capacity per se. However, in my opinion, the impact is on the line not moving consistently. You start moving and then FP groups come in. So, the line stalls (although, if you're the one with the FP you feel pretty happy). Then, the group passes through and then the line starts moving. So, SE's wait times are longer for stand-by to accommodate FP when, if the ride was off of FP, the line times would be a little shorter but would move. I don't know if Tiering is impacting it or not. Bear all this in mind that I do not like the FP+ process at all. I'd rather show up and wait in lines without the aggravation of FP.
TouringPlans has done a good job at capturing average wait time for every day this decade. If you look at comparable dates before FP+ and immediately after FP+, ride times at MK roughly stayed the same. They went slightly down for a few attractions (mostly E-tickets) and slightly up on a few others. But most were within a similar range.

Epcot is different. Because the tiering only allowed you to pick one headliner, you had two other FPs to burn. SSE saw a fairly significant increase in standby wait time, because it became a more popular FP attraction than it had been previously. I suspect that once people chose their tier 1 FP, the most natural tier 2 was SSE... So many people just chose it because of that, because of anlack of compelling tier 2 attractions.

If in two years when Guardians and Rat open, they decide to move TT/Soarin/FEA to tier 2, I bet that SSE wait times will decrease.

aladdin2007

I suppose any decent refurb of the ride would entail a new script and voice-actor?
Here's just a few suggestions:
-Benedict Cumberbatch
-Gal Gadot
-Anthony Hopkins
-Chris Hemsworth

or perhaps, a combo-job.

Whatever they do though, I want them to remove the on-board screens and fix the damn descent! Bring back Tomorrow's Child!

Dan Stevens....and yes bring back the song and fix the thing already, for over a decade now I have lived with its inexcusable state, I know impatient :)

aladdin2007

Both the OP and Imagineering wanted the attraction to be more interactive, the watchword at the time. The descent is difficult. There’s not a huge amount of room to work with, and It’s awkward to work there. Mostly, the screens pull attention inside the vehicle, so money spent on the surrounding sets is wasted. When the budget and schedule for the screens and programming starts to inflate, the money for the refresh of the descent is the first to get reallocated, since the assumption is no one will be looking.

Do they really still think that even now? I think they just like to use that as an excuse so they don't have to spend on it. But I feel many would like something more or the way it once was. They could at least clean it up, its filthy and in terrible condition screens or no screens.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
TouringPlans has done a good job at capturing average wait time for every day this decade. If you look at comparable dates before FP+ and immediately after FP+, ride times at MK roughly stayed the same. They went slightly down for a few attractions (mostly E-tickets) and slightly up on a few others. But most were within a similar range..
Look at the difference in day one (no FP) and day two after noon (FP activated) for the Mermaid ride.

articos

Do they really still think that even now? I think they just like to use that as an excuse so they don't have to spend on it. But I feel many would like something more or the way it once was. They could at least clean it up, its filthy and in terrible condition screens or no screens.
If you are trying to direct guest attention towards something on-board the ride vehicle, sure, the thought process would be the same. In this case, there was a plan and budget to refresh the entire attraction, load to un-load. As the project progresses, choices are made based on available time, budget, operational concerns and other factors. It’s never an excuse so you don’t have to spend on it. Remember, the project teams and Imagineers are fans too. If we get to work on something as iconic as SSE, we are going to darn well do the absolute best attraction we are allowed to do. We are going to spend every penny we have to do the best work possible. Sometimes that work is better than others, depending on a ton of different factors. If the scope calls for a refresh to the descent, it’s planned and budgeted. If a choice has to made, then we do what we can with the dollars and time given.

As to the condition, that’s a maintenance issue. If the company wanted to keep things pristine, they could. If you are asking about whether it would still be appropriate to keep people focused on screens now, well, (safely) look at your fellow riders next time you ride. The majority are usually focused on the screen during the descent because there’s nothing else there, even with the state of the old technology and the dirt that’s built up from use. If the redone attraction calls creatively for something new to pull you back out of the vehicle and to the space around you, then that’s the way it will go.

Personally, I think the screens were a mistake. It makes the ending smaller, by pulling you back inward to your car, which negates the feeling of grandness you get from the creative story of the history of Earth’s civilizations and the grandness of the vast space inside the gigantic sphere. The genius of the former descent was the way it hid the fact you were actually in some of the most confined spaces within the attraction. You were eased from the planetarium top back into negative space while still having the feeling of vastness.

I’m sure the next iteration of SSE will be an improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom