deleted

POLY LOVER

Took my last ride yesterday with my wife. It was like I was seeing it new and fresh for some reason. The crowds were great, they sang along and some tears were shed. I thought about my family when the children were small and how they loved the ride. I couldn't help think what a great tribute to the film history and how appropriate it was to have that as the center piece of DHS. It was sad, I thought about how it was like closing down a studio and putting all those great actors out of work. I think Disney made a mistake not upgrading the ride rather than closing it. Rest In Peace GMR.

UpAllNight

The general lack of love for Universe of Energy (compared to The Great Movie Ride) should be remembered over the next 2 decades when nostalgia takes over and it's used to bash Guardians. I'm not getting the impression a ton of people really care about UoE at this particular point.

EagleScout610

Leader of the Mondo Fan Club
Premium Member
As the clock strikes 7PM, Universe of Energy is now Disney history
tumblr_m7l0iztlbS1qgdl3xo1_500.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The general lack of love for Universe of Energy (compared to The Great Movie Ride) should be remembered over the next 2 decades when nostalgia takes over and it's used to bash Guardians. I'm not getting the impression a ton of people really care about UoE at this particular point.
Plenty cared. Even if it was left to rot more than the GMR.

Maybe not as many cared for the 1996 version but plenty cared for the building, the design, the ride system and the concept. Instead we get a knee jerk action of stick-a-coaster-in-it with an IP to try to boost attendance.

P_Radden

Plenty cared. Even if it was left to rot more than the GMR.

Maybe not as many cared for the 1996 version but plenty cared for the building, the design, the ride system and the concept. Instead we get a knee jerk action of stick-a-coaster-in-it with an IP to try to boost attendance.
With UoE getting gutted, WoL rotting away, Horizions gone and WoM morphed into TT, all of the original FW East is pretty much dead now but the worst thing is watching this happen slowly over the years. And with the exception to Horizions, all the original structures still sit in plain sight, just rubbing it in what once was and what could have been. :banghead:

I love everything movies and behind-the-scenes, so I absolutely loved GMR. It did feel dated, though, and I wish Disney would've opted for a major refurbishment rather than a replacement. My favorite memory would have to be geeking out about the most advanced AA at the time: the Witch from the Wizard of Oz scene. Forget the dialogue, I was too engrossed in that fluid motion!

TJxMagic

The Great Movie Ride is one of my favorite rides of all time at WDW. One of my favorite scenes was Sigourney Weaver hiding behind the wall. It was always intense as a kid. I also remember when I was kid how scared I was when the CM would turn into a skeleton - needless to say, growing up, we can see the revolving door. I just rode TGMR in April during my last visit and it was such a great nostalgic feeling. However, I do miss when the first scene worked with the water fountains and how they actually spun. I'll miss it. I contemplated flying just to ride in one last time... but YouTube will have to do.

Johnny Three-hats

This is an odd little track from an odd little album that seems to have flown under the radar, and, being a tribute to the Universe of Energy, I feel it's appropriate to post here. It probably won't be to everyone's tastes, but I enjoy the song and I think it captures a lot of the melancholy of losing this attraction. It's upbeat and has a good pulse, but there's this distinct underlying sadness. Give it a chance.

Just in case anyone's interested, here's a link to the full album. https://soundcloud.com/datadiamond/sets/visit-future-world

KimAnnFran

With today's closing of The Great Movie Ride and The Universe of Energy, I thought this thread would be appropriate as these beloved attractions ride off into the sunset. Post your favorite memories of the attractions here, post any unique facts, cool images or videos, or just discuss your favorite parts of the rides. I will start by posting @marni1971 's Ultimate Tributes to each attraction.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the original of everything, that's sort of how I am. Thanks for posting that one of UofE!!!!!

KimAnnFran

Ill definitely miss the Movie Ride, it never got old for me.

I especially loved it when the Alien segment was a bit more scary.

clarabellej

With today's closing of The Great Movie Ride and The Universe of Energy, I thought this thread would be appropriate as these beloved attractions ride off into the sunset. Post your favorite memories of the attractions here, post any unique facts, cool images or videos, or just discuss your favorite parts of the rides. I will start by posting @marni1971 's Ultimate Tributes to each attraction.

This is a great topic! Always sad to see things go. We loved Universe of Energy when we rode it for the first time. Of course that was almost so long ago...maybe dinosaurs still roamed the earth, lol! We have to give the attraction its due. Not knowing that the ride would carry us in those huge (love the scale) vehicles into the World of Dinosaurs the first go round really blew us away! Plus compared to all the brief (if you blink you miss it) attractions of today, I do not even mind the length of this ride.
Great Movie is a "horse of a different color." As much as I enjoyed it, I was always amazed with just how violent and scary it could be. Looking forward to it becoming the first Mouse attraction! Not a huge fan of stylized Mickey, but oh well....

Mander

In the Parks
No
Loved both these rides but UoE holds a place in my heart as one of the few Epcot Center rides I actually remember going on. I'm so sad that my last two rides were in 2015 and I was unable to get down there to say goodbye.

I was able to snag a UoE closing hat off of Ebay though- for only slightly higher than the in park price! :)

The Empress Lilly

I mourned the closing of Energy even more than of the GMR precisely because after two decades I still remember how great UoE was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom