Declining Magic Band

CDavid

Original Poster
For all of us who choose an RFID Key-to-the-World (KTTW) card instead of the Magic Band (Mouse Arrest Band) for our Resort room key and admission media, how do most of you handle the My Disney Experience process of selecting the band? Since I'll just be throwing it away, it seems a shame to let them ship the thing out; Is there an option in the process to decline the band, or do I just have to wait until arrival and request the KTTW card at check-in?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There is no option to decline the band. You can choose not to customize and the bands will be at your resort in gray.

Many of the resorts will not give a KTTW anymore without more reason than, "I don't like the band."
If you have an RFID KTTW (I have two) from late MDE testing (I have four) they are still active on MDE profiles and can, at least it appears they can, be managed and reactivated / linked to use as active media.

CDavid

Original Poster
There is no option to decline the band. You can choose not to customize and the bands will be at your resort in gray.

Many of the resorts will not give a KTTW anymore without more reason than, "I don't like the band."

Thanks.

The check-in desks are actually giving people grief now over requesting a card? It was always stated that cards would remain an option - is this just bad customer service or a change in policy?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Can I have a card? I don't think a band will work for me.

article-1196755-058DCDF9000005DC-866_634x784.jpg

Rob562

If you have an RFID KTTW (I have two) from late MDE testing (I have four) they are still active on MDE profiles and can, at least it appears they can, be managed and reactivated / linked to use as active media.

Not just an old KTTW card, *any* RFID media linked to your MDE profile will work at all readers (room key, park entrance, FP+, and presumably tap-to-pay but I haven't tried that one yet).

This includes tickets purchased separately and them linked to MDE. If it shows up in your Bands & Cards section of your MDE profile with a serial number, it can be used.

-Rob

Rob562

The CM had to have been misinformed. In no way would they (per policy) refuse an alternative to the band.

Definitely a mis-informed CM. Straight from the My MagicBands & Cards section of the MDE site:
"If you prefer to use an RF card, which cannot be detected by long-range readers, you can request an RF card at your Disney Resort hotel, and you do not need to customize your MagicBand."

Ask for a manager next time.

-Rob

Dwarful

We went with our high school marching band in Feb./March....175 people total. Every single person had a magic band AND a RFID card. Room keys were Magic Bands & RFID cards were park passes/fast passes. Chaperones had to collect and keep the bands in our rooms during the day, kids only got them to go back into their rooms at night and then we had to collect them again at lights out.

Chaperones were allowed to merge the room keys and bands together if they wanted. This was at Music if that makes a difference.

willtravel

Just wondering, what does AAA give to you when you go to one of there locations to buy park passes or if you buy park passes online and mailed? Haven't been to WDW for a few years but I usually go thru AAA for park passes.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Just wondering, what does AAA give to you when you go to one of there locations to buy park passes or if you buy park passes online and mailed? Haven't been to WDW for a few years but I usually go thru AAA for park passes.
It's an RFID card that can be linked to a band if you already have one or buy one from Disney. If you book a package through AAA that includes a hotel reservation, you'll get bands from Disney.

Jon81uk

I really don't get why people have a problem with the very limited tracking of the MagicBand. The main thing the long-range RFID is currently used for is adding ride pictures to Memory Maker. If you use a plastic card instead of a band they still know which park you are in and what rides you are using FP+ on. In fact they knew all that from the old magnetic stripe ticketing as you swiped at each FastPass machine.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I really don't get why people have a problem with the very limited tracking of the MagicBand. The main thing the long-range RFID is currently used for is adding ride pictures to Memory Maker. If you use a plastic card instead of a band they still know which park you are in and what rides you are using FP+ on. In fact they knew all that from the old magnetic stripe ticketing as you swiped at each FastPass machine.

Because some people will always scream "invasion of privacy" etc whilst shopping on Amazon (other sites are available) with their credit card of choice ... :banghead:

lazyboy97o

The guest facing tracking is limit to Memory Maker. There are also concerns over who has access to the aggregated data.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom