Declining Magic Band

s8film40

I went ahead and gave in and got a band.:)
6CC4mHdl.jpg

sporadic

Looks like we were both wrong. Wired Magazine says 40 feet.
I use the same Nordic nRF radios in my wireless lighting projects and have gotten up to 300' with them, but reliability starts getting sketchy. Given the antenna configuration in the band and radio config, 40-50' is reliably doable, especially with proper antennas on the base radios. As for park-wide tracking however, all the FCC id's I've come across in regards to MB tech is for indoor usage only. No outdoor rated stuff (last time I checked was about a year ago).

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I don't wear the bands. Not for any reason other than wearing it drives me crazy while it's on and then I "feel" it for a few days after taking it off. I wear a watch, but it took me years to get used to it and if I'm not wearing it I am totally distracted while it's not on my wrist [watch repairs are a nightmare].

I have dozens of bands and when I'm in WDW I carry one in my pocket and take it out as required. I have no problem with it. It comes in handy when I pay for merch and the CM notices the AP tag on it because I always forget to ask for the discounts. :facepalm: My current favourite is a special F&W band I got last year.

Consumer tracking is practically ubiquitous these days, Disney is neither the first nor the best at it. The only significant difference between carrying the bands or using RFID cards is the level of interaction they can incorporate into your day in their resorts. As I understand their plans, they want to eventually have active interactions with riders on attractions, characters who "remember" meeting a child before, etc... Whether they will ever fully implement those plans I don't know. Perhaps at some point you might have a CM comment that it's too bad you were on "X" ride when it broke down and they hope you enjoyed the extra "use anywhere" FP+ you were given to make up for it. I personally have no issue with any of it.

G00fyDad

You don't even need to do all that if you're willing to drop $17.95 :) Although I'm partial to analog, so I might be DIYing it!
CHeW8IeWsAA03fg.jpg:large

How do these sliders, this one in particular, hold up to the touch pads and entrances to the attractions? I know that we constantly hear "Mickey to Mickey". Wouldn't something sitting over top of the Mickey on the band get in the way of the touchpad? Yes, I know that I'm asking this question after posting another thread about how to incorporate the analog watch head. But this thought just occurred to me.. :D

HolleBolleGijs

How do these sliders, this one in particular, hold up to the touch pads and entrances to the attractions? I know that we constantly hear "Mickey to Mickey". Wouldn't something sitting over top of the Mickey on the band get in the way of the touchpad? Yes, I know that I'm asking this question after posting another thread about how to incorporate the analog watch head. But this thought just occurred to me.. :D

No idea, I found this on Twitter! I won't be using a Magic Band for the first time until October (I've been going to DLP, and they haven't gone to the dark side yet ;) ).

Tuvalu

Premium Member
The watch does not sit on top of the Mickey head. Like any of the other sliders, it is placed on either side of it (closer to the inside or outside of your wrist, whichever you prefer).

G00fyDad

The watch does not sit on top of the Mickey head. Like any of the other sliders, it is placed on either side of it (closer to the inside or outside of your wrist, whichever you prefer).

Actually the sliders are designed to go exactly over the Mickey head. ;)

IMG_9684.JPG
thumbnail.jpg
magicbandcustomized.jpg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Last edited:

G00fyDad

But they don't cover the Mickey head. The watch piece would. The photos I saw had the watch slider worn to the side.

And my bad, when I said "slider" in my post I was thinking of the charms that pop into the holes (can't remember the name.)

Yeah. I'd get one of those watch slider, but it would constantly annoy me setting off to the side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom