Dealing with the heat

Princess Kaylee

Original Poster
Very soon we will be in WDW. How do you deal with Florida summer heat? We love Mickey Mouse fever reducer strips, spritzing fans, and staying hydrated.

KikoKea

Wear light, loose, cotton or breathable fabric clothes and a hat. Take frequent breaks to sit, cool off, and be sure to drink plenty of water. There are neckerchiefs that you can wet and wear that will cool you. (I bought Froggtogs to take with us and found I was allergic to it! Started itching within 10 minutes like crazy.) If possible, take a 2 or 3 hour break at the hotel pool or take a nap before hitting the parks again. Have fun! :)

Chef Mickey

How would you rate your current fitness level and weight?

Aside from obvious things like clothing, water, and taking breaks....get in shape.

I guarantee if you can run a couple miles and have a BMI around 20 that heat won't bother you nearly as much as if you're overweight and never workout.

Orlando is not that hot...it rarely gets much over lower nineties.

Tom

Beta Return
How would you rate your current fitness level and weight?

Aside from obvious things like clothing, water, and taking breaks....get in shape.

I guarantee if you can run a couple miles and have a BMI around 20 that heat won't bother you nearly as much as if you're overweight and never workout.

Orlando is not that hot...it rarely gets much over lower nineties.

Very helpful.....

lemon meringue

When we visit during the warmest months we start the day early so that we get in a lot of park time before the temperature peaks for the day. By the time afternoon comes around we focus on indoor attractions followed by lunch in an air conditioned restaurant. Then we do two hours of pool time. Next the kids have nap time while my husband and I take turns going to the club lounge with our laptops to take care of any pressing work issues. We head back out to a second park in the evening. It's like a fresh start on the day and usually it's not as hot by then. We also watch what we eat and drink. We find that overeating and excessive caffeine make us hotter. Summers are hot where we live anyway so spending a lot of time outside on a regular basis makes Orlando seem pretty normal. Also, about a month before our trip, I start gradually putting the thermostat up in the house. I know it sounds silly but I really do think it helps build resistance to the heat.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Wear light clothes and stay hydrated for starters. Staying in air conditioned areas as much as possible wouldn't hurt either.

Figments Friend

-
Here are a few hot weather tips I personally enjoy :

Take your cold drink or ice cup and place it against the underside of your wrist.
In a few moments you will feel a coolness coursing through your body as it quite literally is.....the drink / ice is cooling your blood as it flows by in the veins behind the thin skin on the underside of your wrist!
No joke....works wonders.
This has been a real life saver on even the most humid days
Even just putting your cold cup of soda against your inner wrist will have some effect.
A small ice pack or frozen water bottle works almost immediately, but I don't recommend it as it is a bit too cold against the skin for any length of time.
Your mileage may vary, however....

Speaking of soda...
Try to avoid drinking coffee, soda, or anything else with caffeine in it when you know it is going to be hot.
Caffeine dehydrates the body which is not something you really want when it's really warm outside.
Water, iced natural tea, and fruit juices are far better choices.

Slow things down a bit and take frequent breaks.
There are many places to do this at WDW and still be entertained.
Attractions that are lengthy, have seating, offer a Show and have the all important ice cold Floridian Air Conditioning ( there is a difference! ) are:
The Hall of Presidents at MK
Universe of Energy or The American Adventure at Epcot
The Great Movie Ride at DHS
Festival of The Lion King at DAK

Dole Whips and ice cream...oh yes.
Must haves on a hot day.

Riding 'Splash Mountain' five times in a row, in the front row.
You need to do this.
Yes, you do...when it is very hot.
Trust me..
Do it!

:)

-

Last edited:

yaksplat

I've been to Disney the last three years at the end of august. During those times, it's been between 95 and 98.
We get to the park immediately and stay until lunch.
Back to the hotel for swimming until dinner and then head back to the park.

Any place that sells fountain drinks will also give you free water with ice. So we usually have that with all meals.

Tom

Beta Return
The cliche suggestion of going back to the resort for a swim has always confused me. The best way to rejuvenate is to take a break from the sun and heat. Swimming does neither of those things. In fact, you work up quite a sweat while swimming - you just don't notice because it washes off and the water provides a cooling effect.

Secondly, the solar rays are magnified and intensified by the water and concrete decks, causing even more sun exposure and subsequent efforts by your body to cool its core.

Best advice is to seek shade and air conditioning, and to stay well hydrated (not with alcohol or sugary drinks).

bethymouse

Wear a hat or a bandanna. I keep a cool wash rag ( like frog togs), and i definitely take advantage of the ice water at the quick service places. Enjoy!:joyfull:

DisneyPrincess5

I deal with Floridas summer heat by continuing to stay 1,100 miles away from it in my air conditioned house. I refuse to go during the summer anymore. Makes it not even fun.

But I'd say that everyone on here is giving great advice.
We used to walk around with cold/frozen washcloths for as long as they'd last which helped a lot.

JusticeDisney

Some of the advice in this thread might appear obvious, but it really is great advice. Something about the sun and heat just go together with Disney World for me. Not sure why that is, but I actually love the hot sun when I am at the World.

HouCuseChickie

I think a key thing is to plan but not panic. Too many people act like you're going on a trip to the surface of the sun and put first time summer visitors into needless panic. The average high in both August and July is 92. Obviously, heat index does make it feel warmer, and you could experience a patch of weather that's bordering on triple digits OR temps that don't make it out of the upper 80s. Even in my days living in NJ, that wouldn't seem bad.

A few key things people seem to miss...

1. Misting fans can actually make you feel worse if it's a time with higher humidity (i.e. morning or after a storm blows through)
2. Keeping your feet bundled is a key to staying warm in the winter, but keeping them well ventilated can help keep you cool in the summer. Finding good sandals for a summer trip (vs. wearing socks and sneakers) is a key to being cool
3. Plan your days in accordance with heat and crowds- get there early and do lots of things outside before the sun gets higher in the sky, plan meals, shows inside, and pool time when the sun is at its highest, and then return for more park time as the sun is getting ready to set.
4. I know lots of people recommend light colored clothes, but darker clothes are actually better for UV absorption. Plus, while white clothing reflects sunlight, it also reflects internal heat back towards your body and can actually make you hotter. Dark clothing will actually absorb that heat coming off of your body. So loose fitting, well ventilated, darker clothes can be the way to go.
5. You've got your common sense biggies...stay hydrated, wear sunblock, wear a brimmed hat, etc.
6. And of course, get help if you're not feeling quite right (know the warning signs). At the very least, duck into an air conditioned shop if you need a moment to tell or a brief cooling.

stargrl33

The cliche suggestion of going back to the resort for a swim has always confused me. The best way to rejuvenate is to take a break from the sun and heat. Swimming does neither of those things. In fact, you work up quite a sweat while swimming - you just don't notice because it washes off and the water provides a cooling effect.

Secondly, the solar rays are magnified and intensified by the water and concrete decks, causing even more sun exposure and subsequent efforts by your body to cool its core.

Best advice is to seek shade and air conditioning, and to stay well hydrated (not with alcohol or sugary drinks).

I wouldn't recommend swimming laps in the hotel pool and laying down on the hot concrete to dry off, but wouldn't jumping in, staying submerged in the water for a few minutes, and then heading back to the hotel room with the AC on cool you off?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom