Dealing with the heat

rle4lunch

Actually, from my personal experience, December is far too inconsistent. It'll go from cold (mid to high 30s) to warm and back. The best weather I've had was when I went over Halloween.

That's the truth! However, we've gone the first week of December the last 3 times we went and it's always the best for crowds, Christmas shows, and overall better weather than 100 degrees and 95% humidity summers. You do have to bring a varied set of clothes, but it works out the best for us than any other time of the year.

TXDisney

We purposely try and avoid the summer for our trips mainly bc of the heat and crowds. Both my wife and Mine birthdays are in August too which I don't like bc I'd love to spend a birthday there. We love the food and wine festival shortly after but the crowds have gotten worse for that the last few years and it's big time rainy season then. Late April early May is starting to be one of my favorite times to go. We also frequent wdw the couple weeks after thanksgiving.

thomas998

Yes indeed. A "quick dip" will help cool the body and give you a refreshed feeling. However, that's not what most people do when they "go back to the resort for a break at the pool."

They'll setup camp poolside, lay in the sun, and play in the pool for an hour or more. In the middle of July, that shouldn't be used as a recovery tactic - it should be considered a major activity for that day, as it can be as strenuous on your body as a few hours in the park (where you at least get an A/C break every 30 minutes or so).

One word of caution... If you have been walking a lot and your muscles are tired jumping into a cool pool isn't the best option until you have already cooled down some. I made the mistake of jumping into a cool pool after I was very hot and was rewarded with leg cramps that nearly drowned me. If I hadn't been near enough the edge of the pool to grab hold I would have been in real trouble... and those leg cramps didn't go away when I got out it was a couple of days before my legs felt totally normal again... So be careful if you are planning on using the pool to cool off quickly in after a long hot day.

PhotoDave219

As someone who grew up in hot, Southern summers, I will say that it is a whole different ball game here than in other areas of the country. Even someone from Arizona, where temperatures on the thermometer reach way higher than they do here, can't handle the heat in the South. It's the humidity. It makes you feel like you are wearing a winter coat the second you step outside. It weighs you down and saps all of your energy.

Pro Tips from a humidity pro:
Wear light clothes. Less clothing does not necessarily mean you are going to be better off. Wearing very light, long sleeved clothing will give you added sun protection while keeping you cool.
Give up on your hair. It's just not going to look good. Everyone is in the same boat, so no one else cares, I promise. Get a good hat and wear it during the day. Also give up on your make up, ladies. It's going to come right off.
Drink lots and lots of water. Bonus trips to the bathroom mean you are spending more time in the A/C, right? You need more water than you realize, because you are sweating... a lot. Sweating is gross, but it helps keep you cool and honestly if you aren't sweating you're in trouble. Wear some deodorant and keep some moist towelettes with you to freshen up throughout the day.
While on one of your numerous bathroom breaks from tip 3, run cool water over your wrists. Instant refresh!
Avoid the parks during the middle of the day. I promise you aren't missing out on any fun from 11-3 and you'll be happier for the break. Go tour a resort you haven't been to yet or catch a movie. Summer evenings are where it's at.
Sun. Protection. You know what's worse than humidity? Being sunburned in the humidity. Wear sunscreen, clothing with SPF benefits, hats, sunglasses, and more sunscreen. Seriously.

It's not the face of the sun... That is probably more comfortable! But really, as long as you are smart about hydration, sun protection, and staying inside during the hottest part of the day you won't have any problems.

Everyone needs to memorize these. These are how people survive living in Florida.

Above all else, DRINK. MORE. WATER.

DarthMileZ

We are here right now and here's some tips.

T shirt and shorts
Don't try and do everything because you can't.
Prepare for lots of walking. I highly recommend putting moleskin on your feet if your prone to blisters
Buy a mist fan bottle thingy from Walmart or Walgreens not the parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom