Dead body found in employee parking lot

Polydweller

Aww, I wonder what happened to her? :( How sad that she died there in her car, alone. I really hope it was natural causes and not anything else. God rest her soul.

It's being reported now as natural causes which likely would be heart attack or medical condition. It is sad people die suddenly and unexpectedly every day. It's always tragic.

The Mom

Premium Member
In all instances the deceased has to bee obviously dead for a medic to declare them passed on, on scene. Otherwise they are to be transported to hospital to be declared deceased there by a doctor. It happens on many occasions that people are declared dead at their homes or other places due to circumstances of the death or length of time they were down for. WDW is such a busy property and not many people go alone that it is probably very rare for someone to have a prolonged down time which is probably why there are not more deaths on property.

If a coroner or medical examiner is called to the scene, he/she can pronounce someone "officially" dead. This is generally what happens when "remains" are found, or it is obvious that someone is dead - no need to go to a hospital. But first responders cannot legally declare someone dead in FL, and can be subject to lawsuits if they do so. So they should be absolutely sure before calling the ME instead of transporting to a hospital. Sometimes, they might transport someone that they're pretty sure is dead just to clear the scene, rather than wait for the ME, depending on circumstances.

More details :

http://myfloridalegal.com/ago.nsf/Opinions/2E4D4DF5B0DBEBC985256594006256F7

miles1

If a coroner or medical examiner is called to the scene, he/she can pronounce someone "officially" dead. This is generally what happens when "remains" are found, or it is obvious that someone is dead - no need to go to a hospital. But first responders cannot legally declare someone dead in FL, and can be subject to lawsuits if they do so. So they should be absolutely sure before calling the ME instead of transporting to a hospital. Sometimes, they might transport someone that they're pretty sure is dead just to clear the scene, rather than wait for the ME, depending on circumstances.

More details :

From personal experience, in our state it is legal for an RN to pronounce in certain instances, such as patients under hospice care. Trust me, it saves a grieving family a lot of stress.

The Mom

Premium Member
From personal experience, in our state it is legal for an RN to pronounce in certain instances, such as patients under hospice care. Trust me, it saves a grieving family a lot of stress.

According to the statute in the link, in FL, if someone is under the care of a physician (as in Hospice) the paperwork can be filled out and given to the funeral director within 48-72 hours of death. My mother died at home under Hospice, and I just contacted Hospice and the funeral home - I had already completed the paperwork as far as what was to be done, and paid the bill.

So in effect, I pronounced her. But I don't think this would be the case if someone passed away at a theme park or resort - even if they had a terminal illness, and a nurse with them.

Pioneer Hall

More details :

Interesting...wasn't sure how FL worked. I have a bit of experience in NJ with this from my time as a volunteer EMT. If I arrived to a scene where someone was obviously dead (had to have certain things that would clearly show this) then we could tell the Paramedics to proceed in for a pronouncement. Once arriving on scene and confirming our finding the medics would then be able to call their medical control doctor who would pronounce over the phone. Then the police would call the medical examiner to come and handle the body, and all of us EMS personnel could then leave the scene.

The Mom

Premium Member
Interesting...wasn't sure how FL worked. I have a bit of experience in NJ with this from my time as a volunteer EMT. If I arrived to a scene where someone was obviously dead (had to have certain things that would clearly show this) then we could tell the Paramedics to proceed in for a pronouncement. Once arriving on scene and confirming our finding the medics would then be able to call their medical control doctor who would pronounce over the phone. Then the police would call the medical examiner to come and handle the body, and all of us EMS personnel could then leave the scene.

I'm not sure I was 100% clear - the paperwork would be filled out by the attending physician, after the fact. He or she would not have to come and actually pronounce the deceased in person - a phone call to Hospice by the family (or a nurse, if one was present), who would relay the message to the doctor, would be enough. Since the Hospice doctor had been my father's primary care physician before leaving to become director of Hospice, and his wife was my mother's primary care physician prior to her being admitted to Hospice, I had a long relationship with him. But I think the same is generally true for most Hospice patients - the family just calls Hospice, then the funeral home. :shrug:

Pioneer Hall

I'm not sure I was 100% clear - the paperwork would be filled out by the attending physician, after the fact. He or she would not have to come and actually pronounce the deceased in person - a phone call to Hospice by the family (or a nurse, if one was present), who would relay the message to the doctor, would be enough. Since the Hospice doctor had been my father's primary care physician before leaving to become director of Hospice, and his wife was my mother's primary care physician prior to her being admitted to Hospice, I had a long relationship with him. But I think the same is generally true for most Hospice patients - the family just calls Hospice, then the funeral home. :shrug:

Right, that usually is the case. I was just talking more in general terms of non-hospice related death as was the case with this unfortunate situation.

rkelly42

I know for a fact that here in Massachusetts that paramedics can pronounce someone deceased on scene if it is an obvious death. I will not go into the exact circumstances surrounding this but it can be anywhere from someone at their home or in a motor vehicle accident.

Neverland

For instance, you would work 7a-3p as a parking attendant and then 4p-12a as a bus driver.

..... Noooot really. Not both Disney, anyway. Disney pretty much only allows you to have one job within the company. You can work in other locations, but not on the same day, and you have one 'main' role/location. If you used to work at Everest, but now you work front desk, you'll be doing front desk most of the time, and you might do one Everest shift every few weeks. Most CMs with a second job work in restaurants or retail or yes, over at Universal.

Anyway, I've heard elsewhere that this woman was indeed a CM, and was a character performer. Things could get very interesting if she was fur; that is a strenuous and uncomfortable job. Whenever I see my friends who do it after work, they're always sweaty and completely exhausted and breathing heavily. They're all in their early 20s and it almost scares me.

..... Noooot really. Not both Disney, anyway. Disney pretty much only allows you to have one job within the company. You can work in other locations, but not on the same day, and you have one 'main' role/location. If you used to work at Everest, but now you work front desk, you'll be doing front desk most of the time, and you might do one Everest shift every few weeks. Most CMs with a second job work in restaurants or retail or yes, over at Universal.

I've opened Tower at Studios and closed Splash or Thunder many many times. 18 hour days are more common than you think, almost my entire summer was double back.

Crockett

Banned
Disney CM's are too friendly to work down the street at Uni. Maybe if they brushed up on treating paying customers like numbers, and not guests, then possibly a CM could pull off a Uni job, but it would be a stretch. ;)
But in all seriousness, it is hard in Central Fla. Those lucky enough to have a job at all are still stretched beyond belief with unreasonable rents, low wages, you name it. It has an overpopulated rat race feel down there, but that is to be expected in desirable areas to live. Central Fla is certainly a beautiful place to live & work in...but comes at a cost considering the high numbers of people who think the same thing. It makes me respect CM's that much more considering what many go through on a daily basis, yet still manage to wear a smile & be pleasant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom