DCL Testing a Navigator App on the Fantasy!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Horrible news. First the IT and MBA folks ruin the resorts and parks and now the ships. It is a vacation people.
Hello Royal C.
Last I read Royal C. was in the process of installing iPads in each stateroom as they roll ships thru drydock. It's much the same tech/interactive type stuff just on an iPad in your stateroom that you can then use during your cruise. They may have just done this on a few ships as a test. We had considered a cruise on Navigator when she was fresh out of drydock a year or 2 ago and I know she had them when she came back into service. Also, if you use Royal C's app to access deck plans for the ship you'll be sailing on, once you switch to airplane mode you can still access those deck plans. I plan to carry my iPhone around with me on Allure next month to utilize the deck plans. ;)

wogwog

Last I read Royal C. was in the process of installing iPads in each stateroom as they roll ships thru drydock. It's much the same tech/interactive type stuff just on an iPad in your stateroom that you can then use during your cruise. They may have just done this on a few ships as a test. We had considered a cruise on Navigator when she was fresh out of drydock a year or 2 ago and I know she had them when she came back into service. Also, if you use Royal C's app to access deck plans for the ship you'll be sailing on, once you switch to airplane mode you can still access those deck plans. I plan to carry my iPhone around with me on Allure next month to utilize the deck plans. ;)
Just did a back to back on RC Freedom of the Sea. They have an electronic board scattered all over the ship but it is static. My issue is with "smart" phone users walking around with their face buried. Walking in to poles, people, children, falling down curbs and stairs, and so on. I long ago stopped warning them and now just watch the mess.

People who like having all the so called fun of excessive planning or actually enjoy looking at the phone instead of their surroundings are welcome to do so. I just want the dumb phones used properly and with a little courtesy. I recently counted the number of phones turned on in use at a show on the Dream during the performance that I could see from my seat. Over 25. This was just after the courtesy announcement of no flash photography. Needless to say the stupidity continued. One of my new 'watch the lost generation' activities is to look for people sitting tethered to a wall plug on a phone on the ground usually in a Disney Park. Even worse while on an attraction. Not hard to find. While at Epcot Food and Wine two days ago we actually had to ask people to move their outstretched legs sitting on the pavement so we could exit a pavilion. They of course were using their dumb phones for games. I no longer step out of the way when I see the inevitable collision coming at me by a phone face heading at me. I stop, brace, and wait for the surprised look on the buried face.

Wrong forum for this but it took two desk clerks and three managers to check in friends of mine at the Contemporary yesterday. Against my advice they wanted to try the bands. One of them is stubborn and actually wanted to see it fail in person, she was not disappointed. About 30 minutes to get the proper info to work on their bands at check in. All the stuff they already spent hours at home to schedule including MNSSHP for last night was lost. The team finally was able to retrieve it they said. You see where this is going. Another wait of 25 minutes at GR MK to make the band work to get in the park. Either the five member team at the Contemporary did not know what they were were doing or the data simply vanished on the fifteen minute walk to the park, or the system is terrible, pick one or all. Later the band again failed at a restaurant, and later buying merchandise. Remarkably the band did open the hotel door, just like the obsolete KTTW card. My point is the over control forced on unsuspecting tourists by a company ill prepared for the project that waste the time of guests. The only worst program of an IT fiasco is happening now courtesy of the incompetents in DC. You could think Washington asked Disney for the MM minus coding.

They plan a day at AK today. I await further reports of failure.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
@wogwog , I completely understand what you're saying. We love our iDevices in our home but we're not the all-fired networked bunch it seems the rest of the world is. My youngest has a Facebook account but he's not very absorbed by it. The rest of us don't go there. A lot of what you described is what I see as a people problem. Each generation is seen as the downfall of society for one reason or another. The current generation is the head-up-the-tush or -in-the-phone bunch. Nobody communicates. They text or whatever. Hubby went off on a tirade about it 2 days ago. We don't bother going to movies anymore because it can't be done without visual interruption from glowing phones. People in general seem to lack the ability to see outside of themselves and be aware of the impact of their actions upon others. Its courtesy. Or common sense. Sadly, these appear to be diminishing qualities that I, personally, sorely miss.

People walking into people because their faces are in their iDevices. Kinda like when I'm driving and need to interface with the GPS in my car. I pull over. People needing to interface with their iDevice should also pull over out of the way. But this is common sense stuff again. Right? I mean, on a vessel as massive as Allure I know I'm gonna be lost and need those deck plans. Instead of running around trying to find one I'm happy to know I'll have my interactive map to help me find my way. I'll be pulled over out of the way searching, tho. Trust me!

Its no secret I've been resistant and not fond of this whole MM+ thing in the parks. I, too, feel like there was nothing so difficult about the key cards that we needed a bracelet. I feel like the $$ spent on all this is: A. Way too much & B. Could've been utilized better on other more pressing needs. I've been on team what-the-eff on this one since day 1. Then there's the possibilities of just how far (uncomfortably far) Disney can go with the tracking and data mining. Creepy. No matter how many reasons I come up with to disagree and dislike it, MM+ is happening. Make no mistake. It's here, it'll continue to expand in its implementation, and it's not going away. Much like family, I love Disney but I don't have to like everything they do. Right? I'm in no hurry to go try out the new system. I'm happy enough to sit back & observe from afar as they work out the kinks. It'll take time. Doesn't make it any prettier at this moment with all the hiccups & issues with the system. I can't imagine anything of this scope & scale rolling out perfectly for anyone. Could it have gone better than it has? Prob'ly but, again, it is what it is. I can think of tons of examples of huge undertakings where you get so deep there's no other option but to buck-up and soldier on, obstacles be damned. Right?

Totally not sympathetic or making Disney's excuses. I think I've become resolved. It is what it is. They're gonna do what they want & there is NOTHING I can do about that. I haven't been to the 4 parks in 2 years. No plans to do so in the foreseeable future. I'm done being flustered or irritated. No sense in it.

Now, what the Fantasy app did show me is that there are some aspects of the MM+ thing that do have their value. As regulars to the ships a lot of stuff takes no real thought. I know a lot walking onto the ship already. Same with the parks. We, as the voracious fans, walk into the parks already knowing a lot of ins & outs. We know so much that explaining things to a first timer can easily fill a whole day & night and scare them right out of their skin. LOL! Disney is finding ways to make pertinent info available to the masses in a way that the masses will receive it effectively. Is everything in these parks/ships apps super useful for me? No. But it's not just about me. Better to get too much info available than too little. The average guest needs the crazy info. Now it's being delivered to them in a format that streamlines it. I can tell you the Fantasy app delivered all the info contained in 7 multi-page printed handouts + more. The menus are not in the Navigators. Neither are deck plans. The deck plans are a great, super useful addition! How many guests do you help get where they need to be? We do it often. :) Having used the Fantasy app has opened my eyes to the value in an app for parks info. Being a first time cruiser on a different cruise line on the largest cruise ship in the world next month has really opened my eyes to the apprehension people who don't know the ins & outs the way we do feel. Additionally, this IS the direction the industries will be going. Better to know it and know my options than not.

I get all the reasons you dread yet another iDevice brain-sucker. Trust me, I do! The device use doesn't cause the people issue as much as the head-planted-in-the-tush people do. The apps themselves are incredible tools. Maybe with some effort on Disney's part to create awareness of space & situation so people will think to pull over to interface would help. Think of texting while driving. Early on there was no automatic awareness of the danger of texting while driving. Everyone did it. Now? Different story.

I've tried to turn over a new leaf and put more effort in finding the positives in all things. It takes more effort but the things I dislike are most important. I need to focus on positives and live in that energy. Where MM+ previously turned my stomach and I rejected it on every level, I'm trying to clear my mind, be open, and consider the facets from a space of non-bias from my previous negative feelings. It's not entirely easy but I will say overall its rather liberating. ;)

Last edited:

Disneyfalcon

FYI, I've been getting emails for all of my clients sailing on the Fantasy starting this week. Disney is letting them know about the app and instructing them to download it before arriving.

Here's what it says:

We are excited your clients will be sailing with us soon on the Disney Fantasy and want to let you know about a recent enhancement to make their cruise even more enjoyable. Your assistance in passing this information along to them is appreciated.

Guests sailing on the Disney Fantasy with an iOS or Android smartphone are invited to experience the "Disney Fantasy Navigator App" during the sailing. This free app is now available in the Apple App StoreSM or Google PlayTM store and will only work when utilized aboard the Disney Fantasy. Guests should be certain to download the app today, so that they can experience the convenience of having the Personal Navigator - The Disney Cruise Line newsletter detailing all there is to see and do - from dinner menus, entertainment offerings and deck plans in an electronic version right at their fingertips once onboard.

Here are a few simple instructions on downloading the app and how to connect once onboard:

MobileApp.jpg

Download the Disney Fantasy App before you leave home:
1. Visit the Apple App StoreSM or Google PlayTM store.
2. Search for Disney Fantasy. (The icon pictured above is the Disney Fantasy Navigator App).
3. Download the Disney Fantasy Navigator App.

Once onboard the Disney Fantasy, connect the App to the ship's Wi-Fi:.
1. In "Settings," turn "Airplane Mode" ON. Important: this will prevent roaming charges.
2. In "Settings," turn "Wi-Fi" ON. This will find networks available onboard.
3. Select the "DCL-GUEST" Wi-Fi network.
For iOS 7: Tap DCL-GUEST and turn Auto-Login OFF and Auto-Join ON.
4. Launch the Disney Fantasy Navigator App.

Once onboard, Guests should switch their device to "Airplane Mode," turn on Wi-Fi, and connect to the "DCL-GUEST" network, where use of the "Disney Fantasy Navigator App" is complimentary. It is important to set devices to "Airplane Mode" to access the complimentary app. For an additional charge, Guests are able to access the internet; however data and international roaming charges may apply.

Thank you again for booking your clients with us. We look forward to welcoming them onboard real soon and hope they'll enjoy this recent enhancement on the Disney Fantasy.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Oh yes! I can't wait to try it! We've downloaded the app and are ready to go!! :)
Cool! I don't think you'll need any help getting in because its super easy. Call or text me if you need to, tho. We'll be on the road & dropping the dog in Kissimmee. You embark on Saturday and we embark on Sunday. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom