DCL makes bid for second private destination

Bahamaman Dan

Yeah. And to further that comment above, may I add, “everything that Disney does isn’t necessarily magic”. Some of it is just a big river of crap.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
Disney has promised 24 hour access, 7 days a week access to the ENTIRE property other than pier for all. The private secluded enclave that people seem to want is not happening.
This was not mentioned in any of the news articles that I've seen. I'm not doubting you, but can you provide a reference, so I can read it?

Bahamaman Dan

This was not mentioned in any of the news articles that I've seen. I'm not doubting you, but can you provide a reference, so I can read it?
It was mentioned in several places, here’s one: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2018/sep/27/disney-400m-spend-to-better-top-location/. In that article it refers to access in a couple of areas, one of them it says “Besides giving Bahamians full, continued access to the 700-acre site, the duo also said Disney would replicate "the significant amount of business" .................” .
Also mentioned here: http://www.tribune242.com/news/2018/sep/27/disney-feared-for-brand-over-project-criticism/ stating: “Disney, in a presentation on its Lighthouse Point plans, refutes such fears by pledging that "the entire property will be available to Bahamians every day" once its development is constructed.” and found elsewhere in the same article, “We understand how important access to the site is to Bahamians, and our plan includes full access to the site every day.". Jeff’s words I believe, leave very little doubt.

Last edited:

Bahamaman Dan

Do you have a source on this?
My source is a man who worked at Castaway Cay. I happen to “run into him” on Facebook after Disney was asking Bahamians to trust them based on their record at Castaway Cay. This opened up a whole big discussion on FB about Castaway, and I saw some comments by a guy that talked about the employment record of Disney there at the Cay. He seemed to have first hand information, so I messaged him. Yes, stuff that he knows came from the fact that he and a friend worked there for 10 years and 2 years respectively. The 10 year employee just left there in September of this year.

peter11435

My source is a man who worked at Castaway Cay. I happen to “run into him” on Facebook after Disney was asking Bahamians to trust them based on their record at Castaway Cay. This opened up a whole big discussion on FB about Castaway, and I saw some comments by a guy that talked about the employment record of Disney there at the Cay. He seemed to have first hand information, so I messaged him. Yes, stuff that he knows came from the fact that he and a friend worked there for 10 years and 2 years respectively. The 10 year employee just left there in September of this year.
So your source is second hand information through someone you met on facebook. I’ll take it with a pile of salt.

The complications of what you are claiming they are doing would be huge and nearly immediately apparent.

Bahamaman Dan

So your source is second hand information through someone you met on facebook. I’ll take it with a pile of salt.

The complications of what you are claiming they are doing would be huge and nearly immediately apparent.
Sorry, I miss your meaning. The man worked there. 10 years. How much more first hand do you need? If it appeared in a paper, most writers will not have been present (first hand) in much of what they write. They use sources as the basis of their information.

peter11435

Sorry, I miss your meaning. The man worked there. 10 years. How much more first hand do you need? If it appeared in a paper, most writers will not have been present (first hand) in much of what they write. They use sources as the basis of their information.
It’s second hand because you are relaying his information not your own.

I know it’s common to believe things that you want to believe but you have to also question if they make sense. This doesn’t pass the sniff test (pun intended) in any way.

Bahamaman Dan

It’s second hand because you are relaying his information not your own. So is a reporter, and any and all journalists most of the time.

I know it’s common to believe things that you want to believe Or not believe what you don’t want to believe, I suppose
but you have to also question if they make sense. This doesn’t pass the sniff test (pun intended) in any way.
There is a certain irony to our topic on a forum whose main goal it is to seek opinions and experiences from other people. Once relayed from the person who experiences it, it is all second hand information. So by your narrow definition of the validity of information, if the gentlemen who witnessed the actual pipes at Castaway posted the comment, then it’s ok. But by me being the intermediary, then it’s invalid. Ok. A husband who relays his wife’s impression of the DCL cruise lines lavatory on this forum. No good then? I’m baffled, but amused.

Maeryk

It’s second hand because you are relaying his information not your own.

I know it’s common to believe things that you want to believe but you have to also question if they make sense. This doesn’t pass the sniff test (pun intended) in any way.
Sure it does. Sewage is not necessarily environmentally impactful. A lot of the world still uses septic or other natural systems to deal with it, rather than treatment plants.

I'd need to be shown it's doing some sort of harm before making a stink about it.

peter11435

There is a certain irony to our topic on a forum whose main goal it is to seek opinions and experiences from other people. Once relayed from the person who experiences it, it is all second hand information. So by your narrow definition of the validity of information, if the gentlemen who witnessed the actual pipes at Castaway posted the comment, then it’s ok. But by me being the intermediary, then it’s invalid. Ok. A husband who relays his wife’s impression of the DCL cruise lines lavatory on this forum. No good then? I’m baffled, but amused.
Reporters should verify the accuracy of the information they receive them from their sources. Sometimes this is done by interviewing multiple sources, sometimes by assessing the validity of the source themselves.

In this case you (A nameless faceless person with an agenda) is relaying information (That supports your agenda). Your source for this information is someone (who clearly shared your agenda) you met on the Internet ( with no way to back up their claims or even there employment). And for countless reasons the information doesn’t pass the sniff test. Surely you don’t think that makes you a reporter and this solid reporting.

peter11435

Sure it does. Sewage is not necessarily environmentally impactful. A lot of the world still uses septic or other natural systems to deal with it, rather than treatment plants.

I'd need to be shown it's doing some sort of harm before making a stink about it.
All correct statements. However castaway cay while large, is not huge. While guests only have direct access to a small portion of the island, via trails and excursions guests are in close proximity to a large amount of the island. If any significant dumping of raw sewage had been going on for years it’s unliely this wouldn’t have been noticed.

Bahamaman Dan

I agree with you. There is a wonderful mechanism embedded within nature that (thank goodness) cleans up our mess and returns our waste into something productive. In our neck of the woods, a septic field system is permitted where no water source is within a certain distance and above all else you need a minimum of an acre of land per family unit to attain approval. You do need a certain amount of soil and filter media to be effective. However, the Bahamas is made up solely of calcium carbonate with a thin layer of soil. I’m not sure it has the amount of filter media and active bacteria present to do what a septic field does. I am no expert though. I’m guessing that the large amount of effluent (from 3 to 4000 people) over a relatively small area of land and makes it a possible problem and the reason this man felt compelled to post what he did after working there for 10 years.

Last edited:

Bahamaman Dan

Reporters should verify the accuracy of the information they receive them from their sources. I did Sometimes this is done by interviewing multiple sources, I did that as well sometimes by assessing the validity of the source themselves. I compared the two stories. One from a man named Shawn Neely, the other from Sterling Thompson.

In this case you (A nameless faceless person with an agenda) is relaying information (That supports your agenda I think an open dialogue is a sign of a healthy democracy, and not necessarily an agenda based event). Your source for this information His name is Shawn Neely, is someone (who clearly shared your agenda Awww, bro, don’t go there. Talking slag about me, that’s fine. I’m first hand. But impugning his character because you make a judgement on his motives? I don’t know, that sounds so, I don’t know. So second hand, perhaps? He said he would still be working for them if he thought he had a future. He liked Disney, and some of the people there. However, when he saw what some of his fellow Bahamians were being told about the sweet deal CastawayCay was, he spoke out. Because he knew about it. Because he was there you met on the Internet ( with no way to back up their claims or even there employment). And for countless reasons the information doesn’t pass the sniff test. Surely you don’t think that makes you a reporter and this solid reporting. I don’t think I said I was a reporter. I have however done some digging. The reason was that some of Disney’s claims didn’t pass the same olfactory exam.

ChuckElias

Original Poster
“Besides giving Bahamians full, continued access to the 700-acre site, the duo also said Disney would replicate "the significant amount of business" .................” .
The article certainly does say that. But then how can it be called a "private destination", which is how Disney Cruise Blog reported it? I'm now really confused.

EOD K9

I'd hate to pull up to another "private island" and have to share it with others that are not there on a Disney Cruise. I could not image what CC would be like if just anyone was allowed to use all the amenities the island had to offer.

Phonedave

Pure speculation here but anyway.

I have some (very little actually) knowledge of environment impacts, sewage treatment, water treatment, septic fields, etc. - It's been over 25 years since I did any work of that sort and the state of the art has changed, however I do sort of keep up a bit.

1. DCL and Castaway Cay are monitored by a variety of watchdog agencies. If Disney was pumping raw sewage into low areas on Cataway Cay, there would be plenty of people who noticed, and plenty of fines and bad PR.

2_ Disney has a desalinization and sewage treatment plant on the island. You can google that and read about it all over the internet from various sources.

3. There are treatment methods where effluent is pumped to open holding tanks where solids are left to settle. There are also aerobic methods where oxygen is bubbled up through open tanks where wast water is held before moving on to subsequent additional treatment.

4. You can also separate grey water (from laundry, or the kitchen) from black water (human waste) and treat them separately. Grey water impoundment is an option. Greywater can also be used for irrigation.

So it is very possible that this person who worked at Castaway Cay did see waste water being held, or pumped to open areas. It is also very possible that this was still an environmental sound method that he witnessed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom