DCL makes bid for second private destination

DisneyJoe

Woah that's cool thanks for sharing! I always wondered why they didn't just open more of CC? It looks so big and they only use a small part of it. I'm sure plumbing and all has to do with it but it seems more feasible than buying a second location.
I believe some is reserved for nature per an agreement.

Some CM's live on the island for months at a time which we don't see.

With more ships being built, I can imagine days where 3 ships may need to be docked on the same day - and currently only 2 can - and there isn't enough beach and other room for guests from 3 ships.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
It will be interesting, if they get it, to see how the development turns out. An inhabited island is a change of pace, and passing Princess tendering guests a little farther north up the beach will be intriguing. I guess only so much falls within the magic circle.

Disneycruiselineblog.com also posted some documents from Port Miami that DCL is looking to increase their presence in Miami. Some pieces are beginning to fall in place on where ships will be once the new ones are commissioned.

NelleBelle

With more ships being built, I can imagine days where 3 ships may need to be docked on the same day - and currently only 2 can - and there isn't enough beach and other room for guests from 3 ships.
I've only been on CC with one ship and it was plenty crowded for me! I'd hate to share the place with 2 ships let alone the horror of 3 ships!! :eek:

peter11435

I believe some is reserved for nature per an agreement.

Some CM's live on the island for months at a time which we don't see.

There is nowhere to dock a second ship at Castaway Cay. Only one can dock at a time.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
There is nowhere to dock a second ship at Castaway Cay. Only one can dock at a time.

There was also, at one point, no dock on CC (as there is currently no dock on Lighthouse). There is, however, a dock that can accommodate tendering. It is not an issue of not being able to get guests to the island as the island cannot accommodate more without greatly hindering the experience. This leaving out other logistical issues that would plague DCL, ignored by other lines that allow tendering to their own islands.

lostpro9het

I definitely see an opportunity for a 5 night cruise with one stop at each island.
Me when I see Disney's pricing of said cruise...
price-check.gif

ChuckElias

Original Poster
From the public statement:

"Some of the core elements of the Disney Cruise Lines Island Development Ltd. proposal which are of fundamental importance and to which Disney is committed, include: low density development and sustainable design, public access, and the restoration of various historical and cultural sites.

Disney will convey approximately 190 acres of the land purchased from the private seller to the Government of The Bahamas for conservation and a national park."

Interestingly, the property is currently privately-owned. It's not state property. BUT Disney is giving back 190 acres to the government as a national park. I think that's pretty awesome. And Disney has committed to restoring some historical sites on the property. I love that Disney does this kind of thing.

ZapperZ

From the public statement:

"Some of the core elements of the Disney Cruise Lines Island Development Ltd. proposal which are of fundamental importance and to which Disney is committed, include: low density development and sustainable design, public access, and the restoration of various historical and cultural sites.

Disney will convey approximately 190 acres of the land purchased from the private seller to the Government of The Bahamas for conservation and a national park."

Interestingly, the property is currently privately-owned. It's not state property. BUT Disney is giving back 190 acres to the government as a national park. I think that's pretty awesome. And Disney has committed to restoring some historical sites on the property. I love that Disney does this kind of thing.

It will also work for Disney, because these "historical sites" and national park can easily be activities and excursions for DCL guests while the ship is in dock. And if they are being given back to the Bahamian govt., then Disney probably does not have to bear the full cost of maintaining them.

Zz.

EOD K9

I’m not sure how I feel about it due to the fact you aren’t fully isolated. It will be interesting to see how they theme and backstory it.

NelleBelle

I found the comments below the article on DCL blog interesting in that they were so negative! I understand that there has been some contentious history with DCL trying to purchase a 2nd island but goodness! I do agree that Disney should only allow coral-safe sunscreen at their island(s) but have no idea how that would be enforced. But that's a whole other topic and don't want to hijack the thread. 😛

ChuckElias

Original Poster
I’m not sure how I feel about it due to the fact you aren’t fully isolated. It will be interesting to see how they theme and backstory it.
If I had to guess, I would think that the property is big enough that the guest areas would not be accessible from the "outside world". The entire property is 700 acres. (By comparison, Castaway Cay is about 1,000 acres.) The 190 acres of national forest might be enough in itself to shelter the areas that guests will see. And that leave 510 acres for guest use/infrastructure. By comparison, only 55 acres of Castaway Cay have been developed. So hopefully, it will feel like its own destination, rather than "down the road" from the rest of the island.

Last edited:

Bahamaman Dan

Some of this threads information is correct, but not all. Disney , as part of the deal to purchase , received 200 acres of crown land within the boundaries of the 700 acres. So “giving back” 170 acres at the back of the larger property isn’t as magnanimous as it appears. As well, at least to the Bahamian public, Disney has promised 24 hour access, 7 days a week access to the ENTIRE property other than pier for all. The private secluded enclave that people seem to want is not happening. Oh, and because it is not a private island or even a private port technically, Disney cannot prevent beach landings by sea. Stew on that for a bit. Lastly, Castaway Cay was a lease deal that Disney had to agree to not develop a certain %. For what purpose, who knows. They currently have been piping raw sewage to a low lying undeveloped part of the island because Disney’s septic system can’t handle the traffic. But hey, as long as it isn’t in our own backyard, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom