DCA : How would you fix the park ?

RescueTheDay

DCA's theme has been botched from the start. It was a HUGE mistake for Disney to limit an entire park to "California".

Instead of focusing on the California part of the name, Disney should be focusing on the "Adventure" part. Both Star Wars, Mickey and Minnie's Railway, and Marvel all help this.

I guess I’m just in the minority who doesn’t mind Star Wars in Disneyland. I also don’t see how MMR makes any sense in DCA. Yeah, it currently fits in with Hollywoodland a little but that is also the weakest area of the park. If it were to go full on adventures park then that would be my first area to destroy. Putting it in Toontown feels like the perfect fit and saves that area. Plus Disneyland deserves new attractions.

DanielBB8

Disneyland’s theme isn’t limiting. It’s limitless is how it’s applied. What defines a Disneyland park is different in each location. Let’s say DCA’s original park flopped because they were cheap. They still are cheap between the big attractions like Radiator Springs Racers and the little ones like Pixar Pier. Disney doesn’t have unlimited funds. To go big, they need bigger ideas than California.

SuddenStorm

I guess I’m just in the minority who doesn’t mind Star Wars in Disneyland. I also don’t see how MMR makes any sense in DCA. Yeah, it currently fits in with Hollywoodland a little but that is also the weakest area of the park. If it were to go full on adventures park then that would be my first area to destroy. Putting it in Toontown feels like the perfect fit and saves that area. Plus Disneyland deserves new attractions.

Wouldn't adding a new "E" ticket experience to the weakest area of a struggling theme park be far more important than adding a new ride to a park that will have just received 2 new E tickets?

DanielBB8

Wouldn't adding a new "E" ticket experience to the weakest area of a struggling theme park be far more important than adding a new ride to a park that will have just received 2 new E tickets?
Which before Star Wars Land, didn’t get anything since Indiana Jones? That park?

TROR

Disneyland’s theme isn’t limiting. It’s limitless is how it’s applied. What defines a Disneyland park is different in each location. Let’s say DCA’s original park flopped because they were cheap. They still are cheap between the big attractions like Radiator Springs Racers and the little ones like Pixar Pier. Disney doesn’t have unlimited funds. To go big, they need bigger ideas than California.
Disneyland is themed to Americana.

BrianLo

I mean if the question is how to make it popular:

AS20180615004296_comm.jpg

Franchises are replaceable, but they basically need to plop something drastic like this in the Simba Lot. A new hotel (with a DVC expansion), a parkade. Bonus points if they knock down Paradise Hotel. Three franchise mini lands with 3 E-tickets.

If I had to pick three franchises: Coco, default European Disney Fairytale (But honestly Frozen would be unavoidable), ?Big Hero Six (San Fransokyo would at least be pseudo Californian).

I wouldn't terribly mind Pan (I guess a Walt connection) or Moana... but I don't see much DCA justification there.

October82

If I had to pick three franchises: Coco, default European Disney Fairytale (But honestly Frozen would be unavoidable), ?Big Hero Six (San Fransokyo would at least be pseudo Californian).

I wouldn't terribly mind Pan (I guess a Walt connection) or Moana... but I don't see much DCA justification there.

I didn't see the DisneySea expansion coming and always viewed the Simba lot as a really unlikely expansion for DCA, but this looks like a real possibility. Like most around here, I'd prefer something original, but you could do way worse than Coco and Big Hero Six as far as bringing some legitimacy to the California theme. If one assumes the California theme matters, perhaps a Snow White tie in makes some sense?

DanielBB8

Disneyland is themed to Americana.
Mainly in Main Street, Frontierland, New Orleans Square. The remaining lands are Disney’s interpretation of Europe and Africa/Asia. Plus cartoons (Toontown) and world’s fair like approach to Tomorrowland. It has everything. Limitless.

SuddenStorm

Which before Star Wars Land, didn’t get anything since Indiana Jones? That park?

We thinking of the same "Disneyland"?

The one that got a rethemed and expanded treehouse in '99?
The one that got a brand new Space Mountain in 2005?
The one that got an all new attraction, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters in '05?
Howbout the Pirates reimagining in '06?
The one that got a revitalized Submarine Voyage in '07?
The one that saw the Matterhorn get major refurbishments and two creative overhauls- one in '12, and one in '14?
What about the major Fantasyland enhancements we got for Alice, Snow White, Pan throughout the early '10s?
What about the entirely rebuilt Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in '14?
Or the Hatbox Ghost in '15?

And that's ignoring the myriad of successful overlays that have debuted in that time... Haunted Mansion Holiday, Ghost Galaxy, Hyperspace Mountain, Small World Holiday.

Disneyland didn't NEED a new E ticket since what was built prior to the infamous Pressler era was so darn good... it just needed refreshments to keep things looking good. DCA on the otherhand has never done the business Disneyland has. It's a far newer, far more poorly executed park that needs far more investment than Disneyland to make a full day visit worthwhile.

SuddenStorm

Mainly in Main Street, Frontierland, New Orleans Square. The remaining lands are Disney’s interpretation of Europe and Africa/Asia. Plus cartoons (Toontown) and world’s fair like approach to Tomorrowland. It has everything. Limitless.

It's definitely not limitless, though what it's limits are is up for interpretation. Many IP's (even ones that are Americana) wouldn't fit inside Disneyland... Imagine an Avatar Land, a Simpsons Land, Deadpool- all properties Disney owns that would never fit inside Disneyland. Imagine a Family Guy dark ride in Fantasyland.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It's definitely not limitless, though what it's limits are is up for interpretation. Many IP's (even ones that are Americana) wouldn't fit inside Disneyland... Imagine an Avatar Land, a Simpsons Land, Deadpool- all properties Disney owns that would never fit inside Disneyland. Imagine a Family Guy dark ride in Fantasyland.
Peter Griffin's Scary HEHEHEHEHEHEHE Adventures?????

britain

Yes, though I think Pandora would fit between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland just fine.

RescueTheDay

Now you’re just jumping around. Do you want to change up the theme or save that struggling land? It sounds like Hollywood land isn’t long for this world, especially with the Eastern Gateway project failing. Sounds like a large reason for them to move MMRR over to DL.

I’d also have to disagree with your other post stating that DL didn’t need a new ride. It hasn’t revived a new E Ticket attraction since Indy. Park is busting at the brim and anyway to add capacity is great for them.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now you’re just jumping around. Do you want to change up the theme or save that struggling land? It sounds like Hollywood land isn’t long for this world, especially with the Eastern Gateway project failing. Sounds like a large reason for them to move MMRR over to DL.

I’d also have to disagree with your other post stating that DL didn’t need a new ride. It hasn’t revived a new E Ticket attraction since Indy. Park is busting at the brim and anyway to add capacity is great for them.

Don't count the Eastern Gateway project out just yet, Disney is likely to get another crack at it soon.

TROR

Disney animated movies of the 40s and 50s is undeniably Americana, and that’s what Fantasyland is about. Adventureland is the American ideal of exploration into the unknown, an American romanticized depiction of the jungles (most evident with the Tiki Culture and Indiana Jones).

DanielBB8

You're saying these IP do not work in Disneyland, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying Disneyland's theming is limitless compared with DCA's limiting California theme. By dividing Disneyland into various themed lands, Disneyland has more variety of attractions compared with DCA. Disney-Land is non-descriptive, but DCA is quite clear about California. If Disneyland would like to fit Simpsons or Family Guy, how could it not by simply adding it into Toontown right next to Roger Rabbit. Avatar could surely replace Star Tours. Deadpool will go to DCA simply because that's where Marvel will go, but Buzz Lightyear could be replaced with Ant-Man and Wasp if so desired.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom