DCA : How would you fix the park ?

The Grand Inquisitor

Original Poster
Just make it actually themed to California's romantic history. When it does that, the park is charming as all can be.

Rich T

Tear it down. Build Westcot.
OR
Tear it down. Build a gigantic dome over the entire space and put Stars Wars inside of it. Now you have Star Wars underneath a huge artificial sky on which you can project giant ships arriving and departing. Turn Galaxy's Edge into Discovery Bay. DLR instantly becomes the best place on Earth.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

tear it down and make it a parking lot again. I have been to DCA once, back when there was still the TOWER OF TOWER, and other than that ride and maybe radiator spring racers there are no real rides worth saving and the place is a half day park at best. there is no consistent theme. there is nothing timeless to it. when I walk into Disneyland I feel I am in a nexus of the universe so to speak. a timeless realm cut off from the rest of the world. there is always something new to do or discover or learn. there is a history there. you can feel Walt's presence. you can walk on the same streets and go on the same rides you went on long ago with family members who are sadly long gone. but by standing in the same place you once did with them, it's like they are still there. yeah, I get none of that from DCA. It feels like a a generic park. it felt like a six flags park. not that I have anything against six flags. I love magic mountain. but I want a difference experience when I go a Disney park.
one thing that popped into my head after leaving the park for the first time is they should have made it an extension of Disneyland to open new lands and rides. keep the main entrance as the primary entry and exit of Disneyland but then once you get past main street or critter country(this was before star wars town) make a wrap around where you enter the expansion that takes you back to where dca is now and have new rides and lands. I am not an imaginer so I cant draw up plans to how it would look but someone creative could come up with a way to have it where you would be able to go to this extended area once you are inside the main gate. maybe have a pathway after you get past the main gate that takes you back to where dca is now. add to Disneyland was my thought. instead of adding a subpar secondary park whose theme has gone out the window at this point. or make it a parking lot again.

Last edited:

TROR

Because it was soooooo popular as a California themed theme park in California. This is largely a locals park. We don't need a park themed to California. Such a silly idea in the first place.
I just watched the special for when DCA opened and....oh my. Just wow.
Why would locals ever want a place that celebrates their culture?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Why would locals ever want a place that celebrates their culture?
to play devil's advocate, one could say because you can just go visit the real locations since you are in California. it's the same reason why Phantom Manor's grave yard scene is set to the old west and not how it looks at Disneyland or Disneyworld because those type of cemetaries are all over paris and people can poke their head out the window if they wanted to see that.

socalifornian

tear it down and make it a parking lot again. I have been to DCA once, back when there was still the TOWER OF TOWER, and other than that ride and maybe radiator spring racers there are no real rides worth saving and the place is a half day park at best. there is no consistent theme. there is nothing timeless to it. when I walk into Disneyland I feel I am in a nexus of the universe so to speak. a timeless realm cut off from the rest of the world. there is always something new to do or discover or learn. there is a history there. you can feel Walt's presence. you can walk on the same streets and go on the same rides you went on long ago with family members who are sadly long gone. but by standing in the same place you once did with them, it's like they are still there. yeah, I get none of that from DCA. It feels like a a generic park. it felt like a six flags park. not that I have anything against six flags. I love magic mountain. but I want a difference experience when I go a Disney park.
one thing that popped into my head after leaving the park for the first time is they should have made it an extension of Disneyland to open new lands and rides. keep the main entrance as the primary entry and exit of Disneyland but then once you get past main street or critter country(this was before star wars town) make a wrap around where you enter the expansion that takes you back to where dca is now and have new rides and lands. I am not an imaginer so I cant draw up plans to how it would look but someone creative could come up with a way to have it where you would be able to go to this extended area once you are inside the main gate. maybe have a pathway after you get past the main gate that takes you back to where dca is now. add to Disneyland was my thought. instead of adding a subpar secondary park whose theme has gone out the window at this point. or make it a parking lot again.
Thinking like Iger?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Thinking like Iger?
my idea is not a combining. mine is tear down dca as it currently is completely and forever and start over and make it an expansion of disneyland

TROR

to play devil's advocate, one could say because you can just go visit the real locations since you are in California. it's the same reason why Phantom Manor's grave yard scene is set to the old west and not how it looks at Disneyland or Disneyworld because those type of cemetaries are all over paris and people can poke their head out the window if they wanted to see that.
Except you can’t visit real locations of locations that no longer exist (Carthay Circle Theater) or never did (The Hollywood Tower Hotel, Grizzly Peak)

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Except you can’t visit real locations of locations that no longer exist (Carthay Circle Theater) or never did (The Hollywood Tower Hotel, Grizzly Peak)
I was just playing devil's advocate as to what someone may say. I see both points of view. to me DCA is just a loss at this point and needs to be torn down and have something new be built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom