Davy Crockett Canoes

FutureWorld1982

ops, sorry, i didn't know that you posted a picture too...
By the way I took the picture from the Liberty Square Riverboat, so i had A LOT of time to zoom :)

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Disneyland keeps it open seasonally because it has a great use, but at Walt Disney World the passengers might not work as hard as the ones at Disneyland do... As a result there would be a lot of CMs who are painfully tired of doing all the work. I would prefer that they bring back a updated / re-engineered version of the old keelboat attraction.
Ummmm, Please explain. Inquiring minds want to know.

The majority of DL's visitors are Ap's which = Disney fans. The majority of WDW's visitors are tourists = Not huge Disney parks fans (to the extent where they are on internet forum and so on). Basically, DL guests would try harder b/c they care more. While there are still a good amount of WDW fans who appreciate this type of stuff, there are far more tourists than the amount of WDW fans which = DL visitors trying harder than WDW visitors. It's as simple as that :)lookaroun).
:lol:

I hope you are joking since this is about asinine as Figment1986 statement to begin with.

Christi22222

Something that the Magic Kingdom has lost over time is its sense of kinetic energy. Things like the keel boats, canoes, and the sky way (in addition to various fountains that have disappeared as well) added a great deal of energy that is now lacking :\ They added more than just "another attraction"... they made it feel more alive.

I've never heard of this concept in the parks of "kinetic energy." But this is an excellent point. Even if it isn't the canoes, something of this sort needs to come back. The biggest loss I felt as a visitor was with the Skyway leaving. It covered so much of the park and truly made things feel like they were "happening" even when the park was slow or you found a quiet corner. What is wrong with TDO that they can't see this? Wouldn't it be a basic theme park concept?

joel_maxwell

I've never heard of this concept in the parks of "kinetic energy." But this is an excellent point. Even if it isn't the canoes, something of this sort needs to come back. The biggest loss I felt as a visitor was with the Skyway leaving. It covered so much of the park and truly made things feel like they were "happening" even when the park was slow or you found a quiet corner. What is wrong with TDO that they can't see this? Wouldn't it be a basic theme park concept?
I always thought the skyway at WDW looked very Six Flags'ish and cheap.

Just my opinion.... I completely respect that you liked them. :wave:

Christi22222

On one level, I totally agree. But they were so iconic and showed up in so many of our photos, that I think they somehow transcended "tacky" for me (and my family). And I always associated them with the "alps" station and that seemed to make it fit.

However, I don't necessarily need them back. I just feel there is a total lack of "kinetic energy" in the park, even if I didn't know what to call it until today!

joel_maxwell

On one level, I totally agree. But they were so iconic and showed up in so many of our photos, that I think they somehow transcended "tacky" for me (and my family). And I always associated them with the "alps" station and that seemed to make it fit.

However, I don't necessarily need them back. I just feel there is a total lack of "kinetic energy" in the park, even if I didn't know what to call it until today!
If the skyway buckets were unique like the attraction poster from DL maybe, but what I remember is they resemble, or Six Flags buckets, resembled WDW buckets and I just dont like the parallel. :lol:

WDWFigment

Not to mention that you could see grungy tops of show buildings and "hidden areas", which I think destroyed a lot of the illusion of the MK. The sense of loss people express over the Skyway really boggles my mind, and I think is really inconsistent coming from those who indicate that they value cohesive theming, high-quality attractions, and the "illusion" of the parks so much.

Reading such high praise of the Skyway suggests, to me at least, that a lot of people care more about nostalgia for nostalgia's sake than they care about the supposed "higher quality" of extinct attractions.

Christi22222

Not to mention that you could see grungy tops of show buildings and "hidden areas", which I think destroyed a lot of the illusion of the MK. The sense of loss people express over the Skyway really boggles my mind, and I think is really inconsistent coming from those who indicate that they value cohesive theming, high-quality attractions, and the "illusion" of the parks so much.

Reading such high praise of the Skyway suggests, to me at least, that a lot of people care more about nostalgia for nostalgia's sake than they care about the supposed "higher quality" of extinct attractions.

Hmmm, I don't think I want to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of the Skyway, especially since I made clear that it had nothing to do with the "quality" of the attraction. The discussion at this point is purely as it relates to the presence of "kinetic energy" in the park. The Skyway offered this elsusive and intangible quality, as did the canoes and keelboats. Fine to take them away, but replace them with offerings that create a similar sense of "things happening" throughout the park.

I realize that I apparently hit a sore subject regarding the Skyway. Didn't realize it was a lightning rod as I've never been in a discussion on it. But if you read my posts, you will see that I didn't claim anything more than a sense of nostalgia that keeps it's "tackiness" from tainting my memories of the park. My only longing is for the energy it brought. I'd be more interested in what other options folks think there might be to increase this sort of kinetic energy in the park.

Christi22222

The biggest loss I felt as a visitor was with the Skyway leaving. It covered so much of the park and truly made things feel like they were "happening" even when the park was slow or you found a quiet corner. What is wrong with TDO that they can't see this? Wouldn't it be a basic theme park concept?

Possibly this statement is what indicated such a great love of the Skyway? I supposed I should have written more clearly, "the biggest loss I felt ***OF KINETIC ENERGY*** as a visitor...." I didn't mean the Skyway itself was the biggest loss I felt! That would actually be kind of funny...in a sad little way. ;)

WDWFigment

Hmmm, I don't think I want to debate the merits (or lack thereof) of the Skyway, especially since I made clear that it had nothing to do with the "quality" of the attraction. The discussion at this point is purely as it relates to the presence of "kinetic energy" in the park. The Skyway offered this elsusive and intangible quality, as did the canoes and keelboats. Fine to take them away, but replace them with offerings that create a similar sense of "things happening" throughout the park.

I realize that I apparently hit a sore subject regarding the Skyway. Didn't realize it was a lightning rod as I've never been in a discussion on it. But if you read my posts, you will see that I didn't claim anything more than a sense of nostalgia that keeps it's "tackiness" from tainting my memories of the park. My only longing is for the energy it brought. I'd be more interested in what other options folks think there might be to increase this sort of kinetic energy in the park.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out or debate with you--I don't disagree with what you've said about kinetic energy (the park definitely needs more), my post was merely as an extension of jmaxwell's and a further "thread drift."

Definitely not a sore subject with me! I just always read how people love and miss the Skyway but have never responded with why I thought it was a lousy attraction. Probably not the most appropriate place for me to interject my thoughts on the topic! :eek:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to call you out or debate with you--I don't disagree with what you've said about kinetic energy (the park definitely needs more), my post was merely as an extension of jmaxwell's and a further "thread drift."

Definitely not a sore subject with me! I just always read how people love and miss the Skyway but have never responded with why I thought it was a lousy attraction. Probably not the most appropriate place for me to interject my thoughts on the topic! :eek:

Besides the nostalgia factor, I suppose the Skyway did help to get from point A to point B for those too exhausted to walk. This was back in the days before there was a train station on the east side of the park so the Skyway could help cut off some walking distance if you were willing to wait.

joel_maxwell

Now we have the internet... and we dont need the skyway to see all behind the scenes. :D

Besides the nostalgia factor, I suppose the Skyway did help to get from point A to point B for those too exhausted to walk. This was back in the days before there was a train station on the east side of the park so the Skyway could help cut off some walking distance if you were willing to wait.
I always found that I could get to B from A or A from B faster than waiting in line and then riding. I do however get the break from walking.... that is why i frequent the TTA. Unfortunately, it drops me off the same spot it picked me up.

EmperorMilenko

I wasn't alive to see the skyway stations in action but its a boring concept that isn't unique to any park. :shrug: i dont see why most amusement parks deem it necessary. though i do agree on the kinetic energy. Everytime I've visited DL I've done the canoes and in Florida...no way friggin' way. Though something should be put in whether it' along the lines of the riverboat or the TTA. kinetic energy is always good

TP2000

Everytime I've visited DL I've done the canoes and in Florida...no way friggin' way. Though something should be put in whether it' along the lines of the riverboat or the TTA. kinetic energy is always good

In addition to the action and energy the Canoes bring to the Rivers of America, it's also a very unique way to see that big section of the park. You aren't way up high on the Riverboat or Sailing Ship Columbia, you are down low just a foot above the water. And since they are not on a track like the big boats, the guides take them wherever they want along the way, getting up close views of the animals and Indians and stuff.

It just adds to the fabric of the overall experience. I'm still surprised WDW only has one boat left on their Rivers of America, where the other Disneyland-style parks all have at least two or three touring options; Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Canoes, Keelboats, or a combination thereof.

In addition to the high-concept talk about kinetic energy and fabric, the Canoes also affords an up close and personal interaction with the paddlewheel on the Mark Twain! :eek:

goofy-canoe.jpg

http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/goofy-canoe.jpg

Hey, that's Goofy in a Davy Crockett outfit paddling in the back of that canoe! :D (Yet another thing Disneyland does well with its Rivers of America attractions)

tirian

Yeah, returning the keelboats or the canoes for spring, late fall, and winter would be great. Our river is much more interesting than DL's, and it should be livelier.

KaliSplash

Philosophically, I'm opposed to eliminating attractions and not replacing them with something. But in the case of the canoes, the keelboats and the Skyway...
The canoes are something I never tried, even though they were there for years after I started going to the park. Just never struck me as something I wanted to do. (Never did the Swanboats, either, which I do regret. But they went away long before the canoes.
The keelboats we would do occasionally. But they were mercilessly hot in the summer. If you were inside, you were really suffering. If you were on top, you were suffering in direct sunlight.
The problem with the Skyway, as someone mentioned, was that you could see the top of the show buildings. You could see that Fantasyland consisted of handful large buildings, as opposed to all the different facades at groundlevel. Not exciting.

As to contributing to the enery level in the park, I agree. There's a host of things that used to just go on that don't seem to much anymore. Barbarshop quartet roaming, the marching Band, the College All-Star Band, J.P. and the Silver Stars in Adventureland. Gunfights in Frontierland. etc.

The atmosphere, if you will.

No profit in them, of course. Just an expense :(

EmperorMilenko

Philosophically, I'm opposed to eliminating attractions and not replacing them with something. But in the case of the canoes, the keelboats and the Skyway...
The canoes are something I never tried, even though they were there for years after I started going to the park. Just never struck me as something I wanted to do. (Never did the Swanboats, either, which I do regret. But they went away long before the canoes.
The keelboats we would do occasionally. But they were mercilessly hot in the summer. If you were inside, you were really suffering. If you were on top, you were suffering in direct sunlight.
The problem with the Skyway, as someone mentioned, was that you could see the top of the show buildings. You could see that Fantasyland consisted of handful large buildings, as opposed to all the different facades at groundlevel. Not exciting.

As to contributing to the enery level in the park, I agree. There's a host of things that used to just go on that don't seem to much anymore. Barbarshop quartet roaming, the marching Band, the College All-Star Band, J.P. and the Silver Stars in Adventureland. Gunfights in Frontierland. etc.

The atmosphere, if you will.

No profit in them, of course. Just an expense :(

The keelboats are another thing that I don't remember so dont have much input into. And that seems like a major flaw with the skyway. Show buildings in plain site...BLASPHEMY! But there definately isnt enough roaming entertainment. And I haven't seen the pianist at caseys corner on my past 3 visits...is he still around?

WDWFanatic

I agree that there is alot of atmosphere that is missing I miss the little things that most people that arent hard core fans dont care about. One thing about the skyway that i see being a problem that i didnt see mentioned yet is that kids and teens throw stuff or even spit off of rides like that. They have no common courtesy and have a sense of entitlement nowadays. So yet another reason to get rid of it. I loved the ride, I liked seeing everything up high but i see the reasons for taking it out.

So someone explain to me why they took off the paddlewheel off of the empress lilly?? give me a reason for that stupidity! talk about taking away the main character of the place.:brick:

I did see the pianist at caseys the last time i was there in december

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom