Davy Crockett Canoes

Figment1986

Disneyland keeps it open seasonally because it has a great use, but at Walt Disney World the passengers might not work as hard as the ones at Disneyland do... As a result there would be a lot of CMs who are painfully tired of doing all the work. I would prefer that they bring back a updated / re-engineered version of the old keelboat attraction.

Horizonsfan

I have no idea as to the guest work ethic between the coasts, but I do know that it really adds a lot to the river which is desperately needed.

Either the canoes or the keelboats need to come back to get the river off of lifesupport. There was a serious accident with the keelboats that caused their closure, but I'd be surprised to find that the problem isn't something WDI could fix.,

Tigerace81

I spotted the canoes wrapped up in a creek tat flows into Rivers of America on the 16th last week. I got a picture that was used in a OTPN update this week:
m7tldk.jpg

Azerin

Something that the Magic Kingdom has lost over time is its sense of kinetic energy. Things like the keel boats, canoes, and the sky way (in addition to various fountains that have disappeared as well) added a great deal of energy that is now lacking :\ They added more than just "another attraction"... they made it feel more alive.

It would be great to see the keel boats (or canoes) make a comeback. They still have keel boats at Disneyland Paris (although they are seasonal... but so are the riverboats since the river can freeze solid in the winter LOL) so I can't imagine it is something they could bring back if they wanted to... I don't know the story of the accident but I would think if there was a safety concern there would be a way to address it. And obviously they still have the canoes at Disneyland.

_Scar

Disneyland keeps it open seasonally because it has a great use, but at Walt Disney World the passengers might not work as hard as the ones at Disneyland do... As a result there would be a lot of CMs who are painfully tired of doing all the work. I would prefer that they bring back a updated / re-engineered version of the old keelboat attraction.

Why would there be a difference in effort on the park goer's part?

Something that the Magic Kingdom has lost over time is its sense of kinetic energy. Things like the keel boats, canoes, and the sky way (in addition to various fountains that have disappeared as well) added a great deal of energy that is now lacking :\ They added more than just "another attraction"... they made it feel more alive.

It would be great to see the keel boats (or canoes) make a comeback. They still have keel boats at Disneyland Paris (although they are seasonal... but so are the riverboats since the river can freeze solid in the winter LOL) so I can't imagine it is something they could bring back if they wanted to... I don't know the story of the accident but I would think if there was a safety concern there would be a way to address it. And obviously they still have the canoes at Disneyland.

Okay, everyone! Who peed in the river? Mickey, was that you?

Next Big Thing

Why would there be a difference in effort on the park goer's part?
The majority of DL's visitors are Ap's which = Disney fans. The majority of WDW's visitors are tourists = Not huge Disney parks fans (to the extent where they are on internet forum and so on). Basically, DL guests would try harder b/c they care more. While there are still a good amount of WDW fans who appreciate this type of stuff, there are far more tourists than the amount of WDW fans which = DL visitors trying harder than WDW visitors. It's as simple as that :)lookaroun).

fabroman

I thought that canoes might be too much of a safety violation. When you think about it, if it flips over, that guest is responsible.

But I'm all for the return of the canoes. But Disney thinks otherwise.

_Scar

The majority of DL's visitors are Ap's which = Disney fans. The majority of WDW's visitors are tourists = Not huge Disney parks fans (to the extent where they are on internet forum and so on). Basically, DL guests would try harder b/c they care more. While there are still a good amount of WDW fans who appreciate this type of stuff, there are far more tourists than the amount of WDW fans which = DL visitors trying harder than WDW visitors. It's as simple as that :)lookaroun).

Try harder? Becuase if they don't try the park will stop or something?

Eh, not buying it:lookaroun:lol::lookaroun

Next Big Thing

Try harder? Becuase if they don't try the park will stop or something?

Eh, not buying it:lookaroun:lol::lookaroun
No, because they just generally care more. That's not saying the park would stop if they didn't try harder, but they are Disney fans and more/less WANT to do it.

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
After watching the canoes at DL all last week I can honestly say that I am ok with WDW not having them anymore. :shrug: The guests (and poor CMs!) looked absolutely miserable as they tried to paddle around Tom Sawyer Island. It was insanely hot and it looked like they had gotten more than they bargained for exercise wise. :lol: I was surprised to even see them there. To me it seems like a very unsafe attraction that has the potential for a lot of guest injuries and shenanigans. Falling overboard, drowning, intentionally rocking the boat, and not paddling are just some of the things that come to mind. :shrug: I'm not sure adding the Keel Boats back in is the answer either. Those things always looked super scary to me. Maybe adding another big ship (a la Columbia) would be a good start to livening things up. At least then there would always be something going around the water. :shrug:

Figment1986

I spotted the canoes wrapped up in a creek tat flows into Rivers of America on the 16th last week. I got a picture that was used in a OTPN update this week:
m7tldk.jpg

Those canoes appear and disappear every summer because of a tradition that didn't die with the attraction...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...a-disney-tradition-of-paddles-up-before-dawn/

I find it interesting they say these are the same ones from when the attraction closed, so it would be possible to bring it back (heck the dock they used is still around and can be modified again for canoe use) However there is another factor one must consider with the difference between WDW and DLR, Weather. We have a humidity climate and that would tire the guests out faster than the DL climate which is usually drier. I know when I did the Canoe at DL in 07 I was tired 3/4 of the way through... The CMs who help usually end up doing the full canoe for about 1/4 of the route out there... out here they might be doing half.:eek:

The Empress Lilly

I don't miss the canoes all that much. They were fun, but not really all that much fun.

I very much miss the kinetic energy around the MK. The place is supposed to be full of moving things, not a static strip mall.

maconMouse

I too was in Disneyland last week, and noticed how much more kinetic energy was around the park. Another item I would love to see return is the "All American College Band." They performed four incredible shows throughout the park last Saturday, and were so much fun to watch. One cast member even referred to them as "the best show we have".

In addition, they had a separate Disneyland band performing shows as well. Hearing them in pre-parades playing classic Disney music just put a smile on your face. These small details mean a lot.

Thurp

I saw some of the canoes last weekend around the boneyard. They were just sitting there in the open air without any kind of protection/coverings.

the-reason14

I seen some wrapped up at the mk the other day from the train. That was the one thing, out of several, that I didn't do at Disneyland last year that now I kinda wish I would have.

Tigerace81

I saw some of the canoes last weekend around the boneyard. They were just sitting there in the open air without any kind of protection/coverings.

They have since been floated in a creek that runs into the Rivers of America with a cover on them in preparation for the 23rd Staff Race.

tirian

Um, no.

Not hardly.

Not at all.

They were closed because nobody, including CMs, thinks it's fun to paddle a canoe in Florida's hot, humid climate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom