DashHaber's Imagineering Toybox

spacemt354

Chili's
Silly Symphonies
(Dark ride)
Take a step back into Disney’s earliest days and revisit the wonder of their Silly Symphony short films. In your moving theater booth, you’ll see skeletons dance, witness a battle of the bands in Music Land, and find out who’s afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.

I've talked about this idea, and talked to others about their advice, but I've finally got a feel for how to handle trying to make a ride from something as diverse as the Silly Symphony shorts. This will be an old-school dark ride, one that takes riders through three classic shorts. As for the queue, guests enter into a building that resembles a 1930s animation studio. An Art Deco sign reads INK AND PAINT DEPARTMENT, as guests pass by a collection of work stations. Drawing tables sit as if artists were just here, in the middle of their sketches. Various drawings and cels from different Silly Symphony shorts hang on the wall. Eventually, guests head through the hallways to another room entrance, this one labeled SCREENING ROOM. Beside that entrance is a trio of movie posters: Three Little Pigs, The Skeleton Dance, and Music Land. Entering in, guests find the loading area, which has a mural depicting images related to different Silly Symphony shorts. Guests soon reach their ride vehicle, which resemble box seats for a theater. Climbing in, guests begin their ride, taking a turn as they pass under a NOW SHOWING sign and through a set of crash doors designed to look like theater curtains with the Silly Symphony logo on them.

We find ourselves in a field, passing by a wood-cut sign that reads "Three Little Pigs" as the Big Bad Wolf peers out from behind it. We soon see what he's looking at: three pigs, two of them dancing with their fiddle and flute as the other continues work on his house of bricks. We pass through a spot of trees, finding ourselves face to face with the Big Bad Wolf. With a huff and a puff, he taunts us before blowing his breath. We hear the gust around us as we pass the home of the pigs. The house of straw unfolds, and the house of sticks collapses. However, the house of bricks stands firm as we head towards it. The front door open as we enter, finding the Three Little Pigs celebrating as they sing "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?". We continue and exit through a back door, finding ourselves in a dark forest. An owl on a branch hoots at us, as we pass a stone sign that reads "The Skeleton Dance". We reach the entrance of a graveyard, as a skeleton pops up to give a minor fight. However, past the gates is a serious party for these cartoony skeletons. We weave among the gravestones, watching these skeletons perform their silly dances (with one even used as a xylophone). Eventually, we hear a rooster's crow and see the sun rising, as we pass crypts and graves with skeletons ducking back into hiding. Leaving the graveyard through a spot among the trees (actually a set of crash doors), we pass a directional sign that reads "Music Land". Our vehicle seems to float through the ocean, as we pass by the Isle of Jazz. The Jazz King commands a thundering barrage of trumpets and trombones, while the Jazz Prince looks out with worry. He is looking over at the Land of Symphony, where the Symphony Princess returns with her own look of concern as the Symphony Queen returns fire with blasts from organ pipes. We bob along in the middle of cacophonous seas, as the Jazz Prince and Symphony Princess struggle in ruined boats to reach each other as their parents give concerned chase. Passing a wave, we see the two lovers together and their respective parents, though the Jazz King and Symphony Queen appear to smirk at each other in a more positive way. We turn from that and find ourselves passing their islands once more, though both couples now stand together happy in front of a chapel. Our booths pass underneath the Bridge of Harmony, linking their lands together. The sounds of celebration and harmonious music fill the air, as we are greeted with crash doors that read THE END. Passing through, we return to the animation studio and reach the unloading area.
Awesome work here!

DashHaber

Original Poster
With a Nintendo theme park, another easy attraction type to see would be Star Fox as a simulator ride. I can see a regular simulator ride working fine, but I'll admit that something akin to Millennium Falcon Smuggler's Run would be fantastic.

Star Fox: Arwing Assault
(Interactive simulator)
As brand-new recruits of the Cornerian Fleet, it is time in put you through the paces by taking on a mission. In a six-team Arwing, you must soar through the stars and intercept a ship bound for Venom, with the mercenary team Star Fox backing you up.

Standing proud and impressive before guests is the Cornerian Fleet Academy. This military academy stands tall with a shining beacon, as posters on its outside offer promises of grand opportunities within the Cornerian Fleet. Entering the building, guests pass through a lobby with a check-in desk. They wander down the pristine hallways, past signs that offer regulations within the Cornerian Fleet and others that warn of the dangers of Andross. Along the way, monitors offer news updates from Corneria News Broadcasting, showing the current status of the war with the Andross Empire. Eventually, guests reach a meeting room, where they receive their pre-show. Here, General Pepper (an audio-animatronic) thanks us for joining the ranks of the Cornerian Fleet. Through the use of holograms, he fills us in on the situation: recently, an Andross munitions base was discovered on Titania. Though they have now attacked the base, a transport ship managed to leave is headed for passage through Sector X. It may be transporting valuable weaponry back to Venom, so that ship needs to be grounded. However, guests won't be going by themselves. Star Fox has been alerted to the situation and will be providing back-up for the mission. In the meantime, guests will be piloting special six-person Endurance Arwing ships, with two Pilots to lead, two Gunners to handle combat, and two Mechanics to handle defense and repairs. With that, guests are sent to the launch bay.

Guests head down another hallway, this one scruffed up by plenty of wear and tear. They pass by doors to barracks, storage supply chambers, and even an Arwing waiting to be sent on a new mission. Eventually, guests encounter a Cornerian Fleet staff member who will check in guests and provide them with cards indicating their job on the ship and team color. With that, guests wait in the launch bay, while monitors display technicians working on repairs and pilots heading to ships. Eventually, a team will be called by color and brought to the entrance door for their Arwing. After a quick recap from General Pepper on the tasks of each crewmember and the mission, the door opens and guests enter the Arwing to their appropriate seat. Once everyone is seated, General Pepper wishes us, "Good luck," as we see hangar doors open and we take off. After taking a Warp Gate, we find ourselves in Sector X. The battle is on, as we fly through Andross's armada toward the transport ship. Star Fox is there to help us, joining in the fight and occasionally talking to us (with their faces appearing on a monitor in our Arwing). After making our way through the grunts, we then have to perform a bombing run on the transport ship. Laser cannons and bombers take fire on us, demanding the best of our skills. If we make it, the ship is destroyed and Fox McCloud congratulates us on our hard work. If we lose all of the Arwing's health, however, we're early diverted to a Warp Gate that sends us back to Corneria, along with either snide remarks from Falco or a stern lecture from Peppy Hare. We all receive scores on our skills during the mission, and get one more message from General Pepper, either congratulating us on a successful mission or recommending we head back to training. In either case, we arrive back on Corneria and land in the hangar bay, exiting our Arwing once it's ready.

DashHaber

Original Poster
So, I'd like to take a moment to mention one of my favorite attractions at the Disney parks: The Haunted Mansion. While the ride itself is such a delight and great mix of creepy and fun (I've been on the MK version, just for reference), it's kinda neat how it's been in a different section of each castle park when featured. New Orleans Square, Liberty Square, Fantasyland, and even its variations (Phantom Manor and Mystic Manor) finding homes at Frontierland and Mystic Point. It seems like the core idea for this iconic attraction can work in a variety of locales, and I find that neat. So, I've been thinking about...well, for lack of a better term, "spiritual" successors based around the Haunted Mansion for castle park areas that haven't had one yet. For example, Adventureland.

I've had two particular thoughts about a Haunted Mansion-style attraction for Adventureland. One would be to lean into pirate imagery (something the Haunted Mansion had in its development at one point), with the house being a seaside mansion. It was one that had belonged to a fearsome pirate captain, and legend says that he had hidden a treasure hoard somewhere within the mansion. Unfortunately, the captain still haunts the halls of the mansion, along with a "skeleton crew" who will help to defend it. Now, the ideas can definitely come easy when playing around with such imagery. Ghostly pirates and skeletons, ready to surprise anyone who dares to wander these halls. I can even picture something like the "backwards fall" from The Haunted Mansion, where guests submerge into either a cavern holding the treasure hoard or a part of the house that has sunken beneath the waves along with the gold.

The other idea I've been considering is one to lean more into the pulp potential of Adventureland. It would be a crumbling estate with vines overgrowing on the outside. Venturing in, you'd learn how the manor had belonged to an adventurer who collected antiquities not for knowledge, but for his own personal profit. In fact, he had this estate built as a monument for him and his cronies to have to their wealth...at least, until one treasure they found brought a curse with it. Now, the manor serves as a trap, with anyone foolish enough to loot these ill-gotten gains finding themselves joining the spectral horde bound to its halls.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
Something else I thought about recently is the idea of a new version of an old Disney ride. Well, a specific ride, in particular: Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. I'm fond of the Wind in the Willows segment from The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad, and the original ride is still a fan favorite at Disneyland. I wouldn't mind seeing another Mr. Toad-related ride at a park without one, but I wouldn't necessarily expect a copy of the Disneyland ride to turn up. At the very least, odds are we won't see another ride at Disneyland that sends the guests through Hell. So, I've thought about how you could do a new version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Personally, I can see a dark ride that does focus on more of the plot from the film while offering that similar feeling folks associate with the fan favorite ride.

In this case, the first scene would be that chaotic courtroom when Mr. Toad is seen as guilty: Mr. Toad shocked, the barrister calling him out as guilty, and Mr. Winky smugly insisting Mr. Toad stole a motorcar. With that, we'd pass the exterior of the jail at night, as alarms start sounding. We'd speed along through the streets and then the back roads, as the police frantically search for Toad (and nearly catch us in the process). We'd even drive along some railroad tracks, nearly crashing into a train that Mr. Toad has commandeered before steering out of the way in time. Eventually, we'd crash through into Toad Hall in the midst of a brawl. Toad and his friends are rushing around trying to grab the deed to Toad Hall, while Mr. Winky and the Weasels would chase after them with clubs and knives in hand. Eventually, we'd find Ratty, Mole, and Badger toasting to Toad's success and the deed...though Toad himself doesn't seem to be there. That's because we get one last surprise, with a near-miss as Toad flies an old-timey airplane.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
Kirby’s Dream Land Flight
(Spinner ride)
Join Kirby in a gentle flight among the skies of Dream Land. With the friendly pink puffball there to lend a hand, you’ll float in the air and enjoy the whimsical charms of the green fields below.

During my armchair imagineering, I'll admit there are some ride types that are a bit of a blind spot for me design-wise. In particular, the basic carnival rides. Your Dumbo-style spinner rides or spinning teacups. I tend to think about story and experience as I think up these attraction ideas, so those sorts of rides are basic enough that I can sometime glaze over thinking about them. That said, when I tried thinking of an attraction based around the Kirby franchise, my mind leapt to the idea of a Dumbo-style spinner. Even with the sometimes intense end-bosses that can turn up in a Kirby game, the general mood for those games are light and fun. Considering how Kirby can fly, a Dumbo-style spinner just seems natural to capture that easygoing mood.

The queue brings guests along a well-trod path under some trees, their branches coming together and providing them some shade as they wait for their turn to ride. This queue snakes along some of the curves around the circle around the main ride. Once our turn is ready, we are let into the main circle of the ride. Ride vehicles designed to resemble Kirby in flight are positioned around the central structure, which bares a striking resemblance to the Fountain of Dreams. Once we're ready, Kirby takes flight and off we go. A lever inside our ride vehicle lets us raise or lower Kirby, allowing us to adjust our height during the flight. Eventually, our ride comes to an end and Kirby drifts gently down. We then disembark once we're ready and head to the exits. Near those exits after we leave, however, is a prime spot for a photo op: Whispy Woods, the signature first boss of the Kirby games.

DashHaber

Original Poster
Voyage of the Wind Waker
(Flume ride)
Ganondorf has captured Link’s sister, holding her in a cell within his Forsaken Fortress guarded by moblins. Climb aboard your sailboat and join Link, sneaking into the fortress before finding yourself in a sword-swinging adventure.

Though The Legend of Zelda is a Nintendo property that would certainly get represented with attractions at a theme park, something that makes a bit of a challenge is the sheer diversity of settings and eras within the franchise one could pull from. One idea that at least came to me is one inspired by The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Namely, a flume ride based around the Forsaken Fortress level. As for the queue, guests find themselves walking through the streets of Windfall Island. They pass the exterior of several buildings, along with weaving through certain buildings like the School of Joy and the town jail (which has wanted posters of Tingle). Throughout the queue, signs are posted warning about girls disappearing from nearby islands at the hands of a large bird. There are also that warn of the risks in sea travel...namely, that you may get wet. Later, guests walk through a Boathouse. A large sign is posted on the wall with Tetra's face on it, advertising need of sailors for a dangerous voyage to the Forsaken Fortress. Some of the posters also mention Link, a boy in green who will join them on the voyage. Eventually, they make their way down some walkways to the loading area. The loading area resembles some docks, with our ride vehicle (a red sailboat that resembles the King of Red Lions) waiting for us.

Once aboard, we sail forward past the walls of Windfall Island. As we approach a lift hill, Tetra and a pirate stand on a platform to our left, prepping up a catapult which has a barrel holding Link (who grits his teeth). We head up past some sea-marked rocks that gradually become stone and brick, hearing a springing sound from that catapult earlier. Past that hill, we curve and glide along the outer parapets of Forsaken Fortress, sailing past searchlights which turn off as we past. One is still manned by a Bokoblin, however, who sounds an alarm as we approach. Between two watchtowers, the Helmaroc King (the bird mentioned in the earlier signs) lets out a mighty caw as it hangs above us looking like it's diving down claws first. However, we head down the ride's first drop and avoid its clutches. We now find ourselves drifting through indoor hallways, as Moblins stand guard. Link manages to sneak the Moblin guards and (with a pirate's help) breaks open the cell with the kidnapped girls. Though he is happy to see Aryll, an alarm sounds as we pass the happy reunion. Moblins charge us, brandishing their spears. With another drop, we avoid that gang of guards, but enter a true commotion. Pirates and Bokoblins battle each other, the sound of colliding blades fill the air. Ganondorf even appears, about to swing a large sword at us before Link stops him. Turning away, we see the shadows of Link and Ganondorf (via projection) play out their battle, though we are faced with Phantom Ganon. With a magic gesture, our boat climbs up the final lift hill as a mysterious green glow lights the tunnel. Right before we reach the top, we see Link and Ganondorf in battle, as Link lands the final blow. With a burst of green light, our boat plunges down the drop and out of Forsaken Fortress (with a big splash to culminate). Free from the battle, we gently cruise past ruined stone structures and wave-marked rocks. We pass a sign pointing the way to Windfall Island, along with a platform. Standing on the platform are Link (who happily waves to us), Aryll, a few pirates, and Tetra (who gives us a thumb's-up). Our adventure done, we drift into the unloading area among the docks of Windfall Island.

DashHaber

Original Poster
During the last One Sentence Competition, I had missed a round that was about creating a new E-ticket attraction for Frontierland. I've been thinking now about what I would have done for that round. It's interesting to think about, considering there's not many Disney IPs that fit the land's theme. Thus, it's a chance to cook up something original for a castle park. Still, it means thinking about something that would fit that Western theme. Well, there is one thing that leaps out for me: tall tales.

Among all the classic Western imagery, the tall tale is something that offers a colorful and grandiose touch to the gritty world of outlaws and gunslingers. However, I'm not looking at the idea of just making a ride about Pecos Bill or Paul Bunyan. It would be an original story told for this attraction, a trackless dark ride that takes us through the telling of a tall tale. It would start with our storyteller (perhaps an old prospector recounting the tale to us, or a snake oil salesman using it in his pitch) setting the tone, as we then enter the events of this outrageous tale. Of course, I am trying to decide on what sort of character to make the tale centered around.

Personally, there are two particular ways I'm thinking of going with that I'm still deciding between. One is to lean into the classic heroics for our tall tale hero, perhaps with him as a stalwart sheriff or maybe a sailor who's come to land with a strong stance from his seafaring days. The other is to potentially lean more comedic with our hero. Part of me is intrigued by the idea of a character who faces gruff outlaws with trickery and a certain dose of luck. Maybe it's a tenderfoot with glasses who is born lucky, and finds himself stumbling into the role of hero as a result.

DashHaber

Original Poster
Speaking of trackless dark rides, here's one such attraction based around My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

My Little Pony: Fair-Weather Friends
(Trackless dark ride)
Twilight Sparkle has been hard at work organizing the Friendship Festival, with all her friends taking part for the celebration. Unfortunately, Discord has come calling, and he’s decided that the festival could use a little of his chaotic magic to really have some fun!

The exterior is a tight-knit collection of buildings adorned with colorful flags, with posters on the outside advertising the Friendship Festival. The entrance for the queue brings us into the Ponyville Gathering Hall. Wandering through the snaking path of the queue, guests can see posters that talk about all about the festival. Some discuss the exciting attractions that await, such as the Hall of Mirrors or the Cloudsdale Coaster. Others advertise the treats being sold from stands, such as Bubbles's Muffins or Flim-Flam Cider. It's clear that there has been a lot of hard work, based on all the crates and boxes scattered about. Eventually, our weaving path around the Hall brings us into the pre-show room, which appears like an exterior entrance to another attraction: Gallop into Friendship. Via screens, Twilight Sparkle appears and welcomes guests to the Friendship Festival. It's a special time of year to celebrate the bonds we have formed with our friends, and a chance to appreciate our differences. Mid-speech, however, there's a puff of smoke as Discord appears beside her. He eagerly insists on helping out, wanting to now what he can add. Twilight, however, tries dodging the question by noting they've already got everything prepped. She dashes offer when she hears a commotion, leaving Discord to think they intentionally forgot him. Giving guests a mischievous glance, he decides that he'll "help out" anyway. With a snap, he disappears and the doors to Gallop into Friendship open up. Guests follow through, entering the loading area (designed to resemble a classic dark ride queue). Guests reach the loading platform, climbing into brightly-colored sleighs that take us into a tunnel.

Following down the path, we pass a display of Princess Celestia and three ponies (one earth pony, one pegasus, one unicorn). Twilight Sparkle begins to narrate about the history of Equestria and the power of friendship...at least, until Discord appears. He offers his own tour of the Festival. With a snap of his fingers, the doors deeper into Twilight's ride close and we're diverted into the open alleys between the stalls. Ponies panic at our drive among the streets, with Twilight shocked and Discord laughing. Meanwhile, we turn through a number of attractions, such as the Merry-Go-Round (our vehicles moving in a circle around it), the Hall of Mirrors (with vehicles separating as they navigate the maze, with Rarity in a reflection pointing the way), and the Midway (as games turn to play with us, and Applejack tries to stop them). Thinking we need some thrills, Discord sends us to the Cloudsdale Coaster, where (thanks to screens) we find ourselves speeding along the track. We even hit a turn that sends us flying...at least until Rainbow Dash saves us, getting us to the ground. Backing away from the Coaster, Twilight tries to talk down Discord about how dangerous his "fun" is getting, but he insists that we're enjoying it. Angry to prove his point, he sends us to the Funhouse. Inside, we weave through a Haunted Hallway (presented with cheesy cut-outs of Changelings and Rock Dogs popping out, spooking Fluttershy), and then an upside-down room with Pinkie Pie above us on the "floor". We enter a larger room, our vehicles spinning around as it seems a topsy-turvy cyclone (through projections and screens) is tearing up the chamber. Twilight apologizes for not including Discord on the planning for the Festival, but insists that is no reason to terrify us with his brand of chaotic tricks. Discord realizes what he's done and apologizes to us. With that, the cyclone slows down and we exit the Funhouse. With that, we head down pass stalls as Twilight and Discord watch us pass. Twilight hopes that we at least had some fun, while Discord adds that we need a grand finale. With another snap, fireworks (via projections) go off and give the sky a warm glow. They wave us away, as we pull up to the unloading area.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
The Hercules Muse-Eum
(Animatronic show)
Within these ancient Greek ruins, the Muses have returned with quite the story to tell. Ancient vases, stone statues, and wall frescoes come to life as they tell the legend of Hercules, and how the son of Zeus went from zero to hero.

Hercules
is one of several Disney properties that has been a bit neglected in terms of theme park representation. In looking at it, one of the dominant elements in that movie is the Muses and their use as storyteller. I'd say they might be remembered almost as much as the actual plot. So, why not run with it? The queue for this attraction takes guests through ancient Greek ruins. This must be a dig site, as signs and displays (marked by the Society of Explorers and Adventurers) provide information about the ruins and its various design facets. Eventually, guests reach the courtyard of an ancient temple. The doors to the temple appear to be sealed shut. Also in the courtyard are two busts depicting Muses, and a statue of Hercules in mid-flex. The pre-show starts, as a voice over the speaker system welcomes guests on their tour. This ancient Greek temple is said to be a temple devoted to the legendary hero, Hercules, and a place where people would come together to bask in his glory. The voice belongs to share historical facts about the site, until the speaker crackles and cuts out. The two busts come to life, complaining about the dry approach to telling Herc's story. Who better to tell his tale than the Muses, after all? Inviting guests into the temple to hear the story from them, the stone doors open so that guests may enter.

Once inside, we find that it truly is a temple built to tell stories. Benches are arranged in a half-circle, much like the classic theaters. The walls are adorned with monsters and mythological faces built into them, and vases with art upon them stand perched on pillars. A large wall fresco with elaborate designs adorns the space in front of us, and positioned around it are statues of the Muses. Once we are inside and seated, the doors close behind us. Like magic, the statues of the Muses come to life, informing us they have come to share the legendary story of Hercules. Thus, we get a show where the Muses recount the adventures of Hercules, telling us his origins, his rise in fame, and his epic showdown with Hades (featuring music and songs from the original film, of course). Throughout, the wall fresco moves and changes to depict various scenes from throughout the story. Even the stone faces and vases join in, with art on the vases animating and the stone voices adding additional voices. Eventually, the Muses reach the end of their tale, reminding us all the importance of being a true hero. With that, the classic art around the temple reverts to its old state as doors exiting the temple open up for us. The Muses wish us well, as we leave this place of wonder.

DashHaber

Original Poster
So, the One Sentence Competition has been doing some practice rounds and recently had a prompt for retheming the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. While I did make a pitch on that (which I may expand more on here sometime), it did get me thinking about retheming another attraction: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Now, the easy thought would be that Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout! would go in if they ever lost the Twilight Zone license, but there's another Marvel hero who I think could help preserve the spooky atmosphere: Dr. Strange.

Dr. Strange: Tower of Nightmares
(Drop tower)
An invitation to attend a séance in an abandoned hotel is in fact a trap set by Nightmare, seeking to turn our world into a frightening dreamscape. With the aid of Dr. Strange, you will have to brave the terrors that this monster conjures into our world.

Standing tall and imposing on its hill is the Excelsior Hotel, long since abandoned. Making their way up the hill and to its entrance, guests are greeted with a sign out front: The Hypnos Society welcomes you. Inside, the lobby still bares signs that most people have not been here in ages, with cobwebs and dust all around. However, a number of signs are around show some new stuff even in such a dead space. Some signs discuss the dark history of the hotel, while others discuss the Hypnos Society and their mission to broaden our minds through the power of séance and mysticism. Guests work their wall through the lobby until they reach an old library containing a large mirror. This is the pre-show room, and as the room closes and the lights dim, the mirror seems to glow. In its reflective surface, they are greeted by the chilling figure of Nightmare, who offers to lift the veil and make their dreams come true if they open our minds to him. As he reaches toward guests, the mirror suddenly cracks. In the broken reflection, Dr. Strange can now be seen. He warns guests that Nightmare is trying to merge their world with the Dream Dimension, and that he's been using the Hypnos Society to create grounding points. In this case, using fear of the hotel's history to conjure true nightmares. If he is to stop him, Dr. Strange tells guests that they must hang onto their courage and shatter Nightmare's grip on the hotel. With that, a shelf opens up as Dr. Strange mystically repairs the mirror. Continuing father, guests are now in the maintenance room, though it seems...different. Eerie lights illuminate the walkways, and the simple brick and steel seems to mix with a dark cavern. Eventually, guests reach the elevator and board to face their fate.

As the doors close and the elevator rises, guests hear Nightmare's voice as we welcomes us. The doors open onto a hotel floor, as Nightmare greets us and reaches out to us. However, Dr. Strange appears and blasts Nightmare with a shot of magical energy. The two begin to do battle, as the hotel floor seems to shift and change into a dark cave. The doors close again and the elevator rises, this time stopping off inside of the Dream Dimension. The elevator moves forward, past stalagmites and stalactites which appears to have skulls built in them and fractal designs which hide monstrous faces. Dr. Strange casts enchantments to break these shifting illusions, warning Nightmare that he will not claim us. Nightmare taunts him, however, saying that we have nowhere to go but our deepest nightmares. Doors open and we enter another elevator shift. Nightmare commands us to give in to our fear as the elevator begins going up and down at high speeds, with dark purple and green glowing patterns suggesting screaming faces on the wall in front of us. However, Dr. Strange tells us to hang on and be brave (even as the doors at the top of the tower open to give us the iconic park view, urging us to focus on reality). Eventually, a shattering sound is heard as the screaming faces disappear. Reaching the ground floor, the door opens to reveal Dr. Strange, who congratulates us on surviving Nightmare's assault and warning us to be more cautious when dealing with the mystic arts. He casts a protective ward to help guide us to reality (whose symbol can be briefly seen when the doors close), as our elevator moves to a set of exit doors and we then disembark back into our normal world.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
Pokemon: Snap Safari
(Shooter dark ride)
Welcome to the Pokémon Research Center, home to a nature preserve where all sorts of Pokémon live in peace within the wonders of nature. Hop aboard your Zero-Two transport vehicle and take those cameras in hand, as you get up close and personal with these Pokémon.

Believe it or not, it's a little tough coming up with a Pokémon ride. Sure, there could be a 3D show of watching a Pokémon battle, but what to do for a ride? After all, the core game mechanic would require something more interactive. It would be tough...where it not for Pokémon Snap!. A cult classic game from the Nintendo 64, it provides just the right inspiration I needed. In any case, guests enter the Pokémon Research Center, a hi-tech facility that doubles as a welcome center. Guests walk past the check-in desk, where there is a sign pointing out various departments. They follow the path marked as "Pokémon Preserve", walking down hallways filled with exhibits discussing the history of Pokémon. There are even a few windows that allow guests to look into rooms where technicians and researchers are tending to various machines or tinkering with familiar contraptions like Pokeballs. All throughout the queue, monitors hanging overhead feature Professor Oak as he welcomes us to the Pokémon Research Center. He explains how the Center serves as a common space for Pokémon researchers from around the world can share their findings, and how they help inform the public about the wonders of Pokémon. In fact, the nature preserve that was set up for the Research Center now serves as a home for tours, giving guests a chance to witness all sorts of Pokémon in a safe manner. Guests then reach the Nature Preserve Bay, where the loading area waits with the Zero-Two (visually inspired by the Zero-One vehicle in Pokémon Snap!). Monitors explain the features of the Zero-Two, along with explaining proper safety behavior when in the Zero-Two. Once in the Zero-Two, it rumbles forward as they enter the nature preserve.

Our tour begins out in a forest and field, passing through gentle greenery. Each rider has a camera (functionally similar to devices in rides like Men in Black: Alien Attack or Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin) that allow them to "take photos" of the Pokémon, by aiming for specific photo signs. Taking these "photos" can trigger fun events to happen, such as a Pikachu happily calling out to you or a Scyther striking a combat stance. There are no points in this ride: this is all about the fun experiences along the way. Anyway, the field and forest offer a variety of gentle Pokémon to witness, with plenty of grass-types, bug-types, and flying-types making their homes among the plants and trees. Eventually, a Scyther pops out of some tall grass towards us, diverting the Zero-Two towards a cave. Driving through, we are greeted by rock-types and ground-types, though a few ghost-types like Haunter also call the cave home. It turns out there is one resident here surprised by our presence: a Charizard, who lets out a mighty roar as we pass. Emerging from the cave, we find ourselves cruising past a beach. Plenty of cheery Pokémon have come out to play (like a Pikachu balancing on a surfboard-shaped piece of wood), along with a few water-types that can be seen among the waves. After such wonderful sights, Professor Oak speaks to us over the Zero-Two's radio system, hoping that we had ourselves a wonderful safari witnessing the majesty of Pokémon. As we reach the unloading area, he invites us to check out the Pokemon Visitor Labs, a play exhibit filled with interactive displays about Pokémon to which our exit leads.

DashHaber

Original Poster
When it comes to Fantasyland, I really appreciate what they tried with the Magic Kingdom. With so many iconic Disney movies, it makes a lot of sense to have multiple sub-lands. That way, you can have thematic spaces to group together attractions. Admittedly, the actual result wound up feeling a bit too spaced out and they didn't take as much advantage with this idea as I would like, but it's still a great idea. I'll even thought a little about what could be potential sections for such a Fantasyland. Obviously, the Castle Courtyard will be there, as having an area themed around the park's castle is pretty much a given. In the meantime, here are some thoughts for potential sub-lands.

Enchanted Forest: This may be present already at the MK Fantasyland, but it's still a solid theme for a sub-land. Forests are such a present location in plenty of fairy tales, and certainly many Disney movies that have some sort of forest-y locale. Plenty of options for an area like this. Obviously the well-known titles can fit like The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh or Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, but it's a space that also works for lesser-known or more cult favorites like Robin Hood or The Nightmare Before Christmas. You can also do more with the look, such as warm-colored flowers earlier in and perhaps one corner is a bit more spooky and foreboding.

Fantasy Harbor: This area is one that I'd envision as a fun and colorful take on a seaside port, with the attractions here more based around Disney films that feature watery settings or more directly involve the sea in their plot. For instance, The Little Mermaid, Tangled, or Frozen could have themselves a home in this area.

Storybook Town: This area would look a bit more modern compared to the classical Medieval appearance of the Castle Courtyard, but the space still looks old-fashioned thanks to a Victorian aesthetic. I see this as a space for attractions where there's a bit more of an urban space to them or they have a more "relatively modern" setting, such as Mary Poppins or The Wind in the Willows. Another thought could be that the town might be in the midst of a traveling circus, giving us a space for Dumbo as well.

Alpine Village: I give full credit to @Brer Oswald for mentioning this idea in another thread, but it would offer a solid aesthetic. In comparison to the flatter space of most of Fantasyland, you can draw up a more vertical view with the image of a rustic village built in the shadow of a snow-covered mountain. Pinocchio and Frozen are both candidates within such a setting.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

When it comes to Fantasyland, I really appreciate what they tried with the Magic Kingdom. With so many iconic Disney movies, it makes a lot of sense to have multiple sub-lands. That way, you can have thematic spaces to group together attractions. Admittedly, the actual result wound up feeling a bit too spaced out and they didn't take as much advantage with this idea as I would like, but it's still a great idea. I'll even thought a little about what could be potential sections for such a Fantasyland. Obviously, the Castle Courtyard will be there, as having an area themed around the park's castle is pretty much a given. In the meantime, here are some thoughts for potential sub-lands.

Enchanted Forest: This may be present already at the MK Fantasyland, but it's still a solid theme for a sub-land. Forests are such a present location in plenty of fairy tales, and certainly many Disney movies that some sort of forest-y locale. Plenty of options for an area like this. Obviously the well-known titles can fit like The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh or Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, but it's a space that also works for lesser-known or more cult favorites like Robin Hood or The Nightmare Before Christmas. You can also do more with the look, such as warm-colored flowers earlier in and perhaps one corner is a bit more spooky and foreboding.

Fantasy Harbor: This area is one that I'd envision as a fun and colorful take on a seaside port, with the attractions here more based around Disney films that feature watery settings or more directly involve the sea in their plot. For instance, The Little Mermaid, Tangled, or Frozen could have themselves a home in this area.

Storybook Town: This area would look a bit more modern compared to the classical Medieval appearance of the Castle Courtyard, but the space still looks old-fashioned thanks to a Victorian aesthetic. I see this as a space for attractions where there's a bit more of an urban space to them or they have a more "relatively modern" setting, such as Mary Poppins or The Wind in the Willows. Another thought could be that the town might be in the midst of a traveling circus, giving us a space for Dumbo as well.

Alpine Village: I give full credit to @Brer Oswald for mentioning this idea in another thread, but it would offer a solid aesthetic. In comparison to the flatter space of most of Fantasyland, you can draw up a more vertical view with the image of a rustic village built in the shadow of a snow-covered mountain. Pinocchio and Frozen are both candidates within such a setting.
Like these ideas. Alice in Wonderland is another that could fit in the forest. A Frozen take on the Matterhorn would be interesting, although definitely not as a retheme for Disneyland’s. Preferably, they’d limit it to the “Snow Queen” in the mountain; leave the singalong songs to a minimum, maybe give them Swiss polka style instrumentals in the area. If Florida did make a Matterhorn, I don’t see it being Frozen themed though.

I like the idea of the harbour. A transition between Mermaid and the Swiss Village could be the rocky cliffs at water’s edge in the film, maybe with Monstro in the bay.

1600712798141.jpeg

DashHaber

Original Poster
Like these ideas. Alice in Wonderland is another that could fit in the forest. A Frozen take on the Matterhorn would be interesting, although definitely not as a retheme for Disneyland’s. Preferably, they’d limit it to the “Snow Queen” in the mountain; leave the singalong songs to a minimum, maybe give them Swiss polka style instrumentals in the area. If Florida did make a Matterhorn, I don’t see it being Frozen themed though.

I like the idea of the harbour. A transition between Mermaid and the Swiss Village could be the rocky cliffs at water’s edge in the film, maybe with Monstro in the bay.

View attachment 499334
Alice in Wonderland is definitely another solid choice to fit the "Enchanted Forest" theme. Perhaps while most of the forest would have a natural look to it, there might be a portion that looks wackier, as if you've wandered into the woods of Wonderland.

Yeah, I was thinking about that for Frozen. I wouldn't do a retheme of Matterhorn around it, or just plop in Frozen Ever After. I could see a new dark ride (or maybe a mix of dark ride and family coaster) instead, with a focus on Anna and Else in the mountains of Arendelle. Also, I could honestly see Pinocchio fitting either the "Alpine Village" or "Fantasy Harbor" theme.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
Ant-Man: Quantum Flight
(Simulator)
You have been recruited by Hank Pym to be among the first aboard the Pym Jet, with Ant-Man there to help guide our subatomic journey. Unfortunately, HYDRA wants to steal this tech, leading to a thrilling microscopic chase into the Quantum Realm!

With its large logo on the side of the building and a statue of a molecule out front, guests are sure to recognize the Pym Technologies building. The entrance lobby features a portrait of the company's founder, Hank Pym, along with a large monitor. The monitor showcases a promo video, talking about the history of Pym Technologies and the advances that they have made in the fields of nanotechnology. The promo video also mentions how former CEO Darren Cross was let go after it was discovered that he had been selling tech to groups such as HYDRA, and now Hope van Dyne leads the company. Heading further in, guests work their way through into the future labs, where they see the current subject of study: the Pym Jet. A tiny model of the Pym Jet is on display in a case, as computer monitors list off various statistics about the Pym Jet. Eventually, guests reach the loading area, where a Pym Technologies associate directs us to the appropriate loading bay. Once in place, monitors above the doors begin the pre-show. Hank Pym welcomes us, and thanks us for taking part in this test flight. He explains that the Pym Jet is intended to offer scientists and researchers a new view into a world they could never enter before: the subatomic world. Ant-Man will join guests in this test flight, offering protection due to the risks inherent with subatomic travel, while Hank will pilot the ship remotely. Ant-Man takes this moment to explain the safety procedures for riding the Pym Jet. Eventually, the doors in front of guests open, and Pym urges us forward into the Pym Jet.

Once we are seated and buckled up, the "safety doors" covering the front window (actually a screen) open up. As the Pym Jet starts to float, Hank gives a countdown before activating the Pym Particles. Now shrunk down in size, Ant-Man follows along us on a flying ant as we head towards a model town and fly among its buildings. Unfortunately, the pleasant flight gets cut short as a clock tower gets cut down with a green laser. We see the cause soon enough: a new version of the Yellowjacket armor, with the HYDRA symbol on the front. Realizing that HYDRA wants the ship, Pym attempts to fly us away while Ant-Man does battle with the new Yellowjacket. The results are a high-speed chase through the labs, where ordinary objects now tower like dangerous behemoths. The Yellowjacket's lasers do some damage around the labs, sending debris flying and nearly striking us. Ant-Man is eventually able to subdue the Yellowjacket, but not before it strikes us with one final laser blast. Sensors inside the Pym Jet light up, indicating "Pym Particles Activated". The shrinking mechanism now malfunctioning, we shrink down further and further, passing tardigrades and atoms as we go. Eventually, we find ourselves in the Quantum Realm, a space of mindbending shapes and colors. Before we shrink down any further past the point of no return, however, Ant-Man arrives. He performs some quick maintenance, then reverses the process. The results give a bumpy return, arriving back in the launch bay with a crash landing. Hank thanks us for our participation, and the doors open for us to exit.

Last edited:

DashHaber

Original Poster
Jolly Holiday Carousel
(Carousel)
The chalk drawings on the ground point the way towards a grand carousel, with a variety of colorful horses ready for their riders. Hop aboard, and you’ll feel practically perfect in every way!

I've mentioned before that small-time attractions like spinner rides are a bit of a blind spot for me design-wise, but I saw a chance with a Disney movie that, frankly, I'm surprised still has no attraction at all: Mary Poppins. It's such a classic Disney movie, you'd think there would be something. I've written about an idea for a Royal Doulton Music Hall show before (thinking of it for the UK Pavilion, in my initial write-up for this thread), and I do have some thoughts about a dark ride for it, but frankly even a small something would be nice. As it turns out, that small thing could be a carousel, inspired by the one from the first movie's animated sequence. Like the earlier proposal, this is something I'm initially picturing for the UK Pavilion at Epcot, but it could work in other places.

Walking along the paths, guests might notice some chalk art on the ground. These pieces of chalk art (inspired by Bert's work in the first Mary Poppins film) are peppered around at different points, depicting various moments and images from the Mary Poppins films. In fact, guests will soon realize what the art is placed around: a colorful carousel, with a whole bevy of stylized horses for guests to ride. With bright hues in shade like blue or pink and touched up with floral designs, the carousel horses are reminiscent of the sort seen in the animated sequence of the first Mary Poppins film. As guests approach the carousel, there's some helpful chalk art to help point towards the entrance of the queue, a simple barred path that guides to the carousel horses. As guides are riding, cheerful calliope renditions of Disney songs fill the air. Though there are a variety of songs, you can certainly expect to hear songs from the Mary Poppins films, such as "Chim Chim Che-ree", "Jolly Holiday", and of course "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom