dandaman Reloaded: 8/22-9/2

Hiya, folks! I just got back from an awesome trip to the World… and then some! I have school starting tomorrow, so excuse any possible delays on posting. Today, I don’t think I’ll even get to WDW with the updates! I’ll writethe report, then put the pictures with captions in the second half.

On with the show!

Day 1: Virginia Company

My family and I woke up around 5 a.m., though truth be told, I doubt anyone got much sleep. We loaded up the car (I think my dad would do wonders playing Tetris…), and left the house about 8 in the morning.

Gee, after that last paragraph, we’re REALLY off to an interesting start.

Anyway, I don’t suppose there’s much to say about today. A few notes from what I recall:

- For some reason, Mapquest had us cut clear across Ohio’s heartland to West Virginia, instead of taking the Turnpike to I-77 at Cleveland. However, it was actually a lot more interesting to drive that way, as there was a lot of different scenery changes I didn’t expect.

- Ate at “the ol’ standby”, Steak ‘n Shake, just before Columbus. The first time we ate here was just outside WDW almost 6 years ago, and I’ve loved it ever since. P.S. To the servers: Is it really that weird to order a Side-By-Side shake with chocolate mint and orange Freeze?… :lookaroun

- Just before hitting West Virginia, there were some really spectacular clouds overhead. It made the scenery look close to perfect.

- We finally arrived in Beckley, WV, around 4 p.m., and did a bit o’ shopping… well, kinda. The family did shopping, while I played some songs on some $25000 digital piano. I was amused, if not briefly. :D

“Ze Photos”

Either those are the weirdest clouds I’ve ever seen, or a thousand jets streaked across the sky without me knowing.

IMG_0415.jpg

If only I’d put the camera settings to 1024x768 instead of the lowest resolution.

IMG_0427.jpg

Ooh, the Ohio River… no one’s EVER seen this shot before.
IMG_0434.jpg

Welcome to redneck country!
IMG_0435.jpg

OMG! They painted the Capitol Building GOLD!

IMG_0456.jpg

…And that’s it for the pics today. Not much you can do sitting around in the car for 8 hours.

Tomorrow, we visit North and South Carolina! (*holds cue card* “Ooh, aah!”)​

dandaman

Original Poster
I still can’t get over how well-themed everything is here. Mexico…

IMG_1331.jpg

China…

IMG_1333.jpg

Some random boats…

IMG_1334.jpg

Germany…

IMG_1335.jpg

Italy…

IMG_1337.jpg

…And then there’s Canada. @!$#

IMG_1339.jpg

Exclusive shot… Spaceship Earth, ALMOST SANS WAND! (See? Trees are good for more than through the tree shots.)

IMG_1340.jpg

It’s America. Um… yeah.

IMG_1342.jpg

Mmm… international ice cream. *drools*

IMG_1343.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
We made it to Teppanyaki with about 2 minutes to spare until reservations. Unfortunately, not only is Works being temperamental, but so is Photobucket, so I can’t upload the freaking hilarious videos from my dining experience. I promise I’ll work them in somewhere!

Anyway, I’ve never really liked Asian food… don’t know why. (Save for maybe chicken balls and those crunchy Chinese noodle things.) However, I’d come back to Teppanyaki 10 times more, just for the brought-to-the-table entertainment. Awesome.

Though I don’t quite care for seaweed as an appetizer…

IMG_1348.jpg

…I’m entertained by trying to figure out how to use those blasted chopsticks, if not briefly and for a price.

IMG_1349.jpg

The finished product: filet mignon with some weird sprout thingies that I didn’t eat. Filet was great, though!

IMG_1353.jpg

For some unknown reason, this ice cream tastes better than most, and like chocolate ice cream should: like FROZEN FUDGE!

IMG_1354.jpg

We met up with my mom’s “college friends” after. Turns out they were dining at the same restaurant. They always visit WDW at least thrice a year.

It started to rain shortly before meal’s end…

IMG_1355.jpg

…But no matter! I’ll just go visit that Tin Toy Stories exhibit.

Now, I could’ve sworn this used to be SOMEONE’S avatar… though the name escapes me.

IMG_1357.jpg

Artsy Japanese shot time!

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

Wonder how much this frame would go for at Wal-Mart.

IMG_1361.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Pa-rum-pum-pum-pum

IMG_1362.jpg

I like this photo…

IMG_1363.jpg

…But I love this one a lot more! This is my current wallpaper (Shameless Plug® #3), and most likely my favourite picture of the entire trip.

IMG_1364.jpg

Les Photos D’Arts

IMG_1366.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

Hey, Joe… do the following photos remind you of your everyday, stereotypically English life?

IMG_1368.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

For those of you who say that Epcot needs a roller coaster…

IMG_1369.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
I still find it funny that I can buy 5 of those Aero bars at home for the price of one here. Heh.

IMG_1370.jpg

“PLAY ‘MAGIC BUS’!!!”

IMG_1372.jpg

Look, I’m home! (And of course, we all live in grand chateaus.)

IMG_1373.jpg

She was on the college program and went to my high school last year… honest!

IMG_1374.jpg

Yay!

IMG_1375.jpg

According to Disney, Canada is forever stuck in the 80’s.

IMG_1380.jpg

But we also have waterfalls everywhere!

IMG_1378.jpg

And pine trees are second only to maple around these parts.

IMG_1379.jpg

Serene rapids are just a part of most of our backyards!

IMG_1381.jpg

And there’s no question that we’re all Natives.

IMG_1382.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Moving on, my godmother apparently tries to “pet” the ducks.

IMG_1384.jpg

We went back to their hotel (Yacht Club) for a brief visit with the rest of the family.

Snake-like creature… ON a tree… THROUGH the tree! This is the ultimate exclusive shot!

IMG_1390.jpg

Nice hotel view.

IMG_1395.jpg

Back in Canada, I forgot to mention our wonderfully-kept gardens in our front yards.

IMG_1397.jpg

Ah, but this is what we’re really here for!

IMG_1398.jpg

The Problem

IMG_1399.jpg

The Solution

IMG_1401.jpg

I chose for my appetizer what many people seemed to hold in the highest regard: cheddar cheese soup. It sounded a bit weird to me, but I ordered it just the same.

IMG_1402.jpg

It was… weird. Not extremely good, not too bad… just kind of weird. Maybe it’s an acquired taste.

But this, THIS is what I’m here for: The mother of all filet mignon steaks: medium with maple barbecue sauce!

Funny, though… it looks relatively big…

IMG_1404.jpg

…Then it just kind of doesn’t.

IMG_1403.jpg

Anyway, that was quite honestly the best steak I’ve ever had. Go Canada!

dandaman

Original Poster
My dessert was quite good, too… I thought it was peppermint on top, but it turned out to be white chocolate.

IMG_1409.jpg

Mom’s dessert was quite funny: Chocolate Moose!

IMG_1411.jpg

Then there was my sister’s, which was some weird marshmallow brownie concoction from the kid’s menu. Looked all colourful and purty, though she seemed to use it as a candy weapon after the meal.

IMG_1417.jpg

Does this count as a fireworks picture? I can’t tell.

IMG_1406.jpg

And you thought the wand was bad… Now they have a big line straight through the middle!

IMG_1420.jpg

Question: Where would a teenager go during Epcot Extra Magic Hours, when he seemingly has the park all to himself?

Why, Mexico, of course!

IMG_1425.jpg

Fine… does THIS count as a fireworks shot?

IMG_1430.jpg

A parting shot.

IMG_1423.jpg

I’d never seen the drawbridge up for the Illuminations barges before…

IMG_1435.jpg

…And apparently, you won’t either. Er… use your imagination…?

dandaman

Original Poster
So, after Mexico, there wasn’t much else to do. We decided to head over to Germany for some shopping… and here’s where my whole day was turned from “pretty good” to “best day ever”!

One of the CM’s working at the German pavilion is on the college program, and posts at Theme Park Review.com, my favourite website/discussion boards besides these. He’s a really fun guy, and when I heard last year he was moving from Germany to WDW, I couldn’t wait to talk with him.

Nearly the entire vacation passed, and I hadn’t been able to find him anywhere in Germany. I was kinda disappointed.

So imagine my surprise when the first shop I visited had him working there!

We talked for a few minutes before I asked if I could have a picture.

“Well, of course, but let me get my camera too, so I can post it!”

So, he brought me around the shop, giving me some things for the photo.

“Oh, we have to get these German flags, and these hats, too!”

So, without further ado, I present to you: SOREN!

IMG_1439.jpg

Like I said… great guy. He was hilarious, and that alone probably made my entire vacation. :D

(Oh, and I look completely stupid in that picture, but not more so than usual, I guess.)

That about covers it for this, my final park update. Tomorrow, I dread… the end of my TR.

…Oh, well. It’s been fun, that’s all I can say.

‘Till then!

Uponastar

Mmm… international ice cream. *drools*

IMG_1343.jpg

For some unknown reason, this ice cream tastes better than most, and like chocolate ice cream should: like FROZEN FUDGE!

IMG_1354.jpg

Yay! :sohappy: :slurp:

Now, I could’ve sworn this used to be SOMEONE’S avatar… though the name escapes me.

IMG_1357.jpg

Yay!:sohappy:
Bunny!!!!

And you thought the wand was bad… Now they have a big line straight through the middle!

IMG_1420.jpg

Ha!:lol:
Funny!

A parting shot.

IMG_1423.jpg

One more Yay! :sohappy:

bayoutinkbelle

Thanks again, Danny!

I saw the Epcot bridge up on my last trip. It caught me by surprise at first, but we waited for the tiny boat to go through and the bridge to come down. Then, in a cosmically inspired moment, people from both sides yelled, "Charge!" as they started to walk toward each other. It was the funniest moment from my trip.

Oh, and Danny, I was guessing the Monty Python mountaineering sketch with John Cleese as the guy who kept seeing double. That's not right? *whimper* :(

dandaman

Original Poster
Days 12/13: Homeward Bound

*sigh*… As the title says. I’m sure many people here can attest to how depressing the day you leave is. However, I’m just glad I got to have the experience, as always.

Before I continue on, Photobucket screwed up last night, so there’s a couple of departing Epcot pics. Considering my camera’s nighttime track record, I was pleasantly surprised at how well these turned out.

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

So, on our last day, we maxed out our table service credits at Chef Mickey’s!

Aah, Bay Lake… how I love thee.

IMG_1442.jpg

I didn’t make that HM! You can’t prove I did!

IMG_1464.jpg

The brownie looked lonely, so I added some things for “cullerrrr”. It’s a good thing. [/Martha]

IMG_1465.jpg

The Chef Mickey’s atmosphere is one of frenzy every 45 minutes or so.

IMG_1466.jpg

As I took these next pictures, the horrible thought struck me: this is the first WDW trip ever that I HADN’T RIDDEN THE MONORAIL! I don’t know how significant that is, but I’m sure it will be responsible for at least two shrink visits later in life, discussing my neglected childhood.

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

And so, our Disney vacation comes to a solemn close.

IMG_1472.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Emptying out onto 192...

IMG_1473.jpg

…And everything still taunts me.

IMG_1476.jpg

At least there’s one part of Florida that always seems to stay with me.

IMG_1478.jpg

(Day 13)

YAY!… Wait a minute.

IMG_1481.jpg

Insert caption here

IMG_1484.jpg

Since we’re in Tennessee, I can kind of understand this…

IMG_1483.jpg

…But did they have a 2-for-1 special at the Crucifix Outlet Mall?

IMG_1485.jpg

People have trusted Ferris wheels at fireworks stores before… they just haven’t returned to tell the tale.

IMG_1486.jpg

Déjà vu…

IMG_1488.jpg

I’m not quite sure why this was my final picture of the update. It’s rather insignificant. But I’ll label it an exclusive shot because I’m cheap like that!

IMG_1489.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
This concludes our tour! Please carefully step out of the trip report to your right, down the exit ramp.

And above all, thanks for reading! I can’t tell if you had a better time reading or I writing/taking photos for it! Thank you! I’m here ‘till Thursday! Try the filet mignon!

IMG_1288-1.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

Disnut

Great TR Danny. I have enjoyed every minute of it. You made me laugh and cry because I want to be there sooo much. Thanks again.:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

jesserin

I didn’t make that HM! You can’t prove I did!

IMG_1464.jpg
(did anyone else notice the HUGE pile of bacon here? ;) Got Pig?) :D

Okay danny... Sooooooooooooooooo glad you had so much fun.... wish you could go back next week just for another TR :D

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:
Great Great Job Danny!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Great report Dan !

happy0065.gif
happy0065.gif
happy0065.gif
happy0065.gif
happy0065.gif

and like I said before, you've got some winning pictures!

BTW-it never fails, no matter where you go you will always run into people that you know.

It really IS a small world!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom