Daily housekeeping?

Herdman

For me, my wife is always wanting more resort time, so it's pretty much built in. Plus we have one bedrooms booked, which means we can even fix a meal at night right in the room if we want(nothing complicated) which my kids actually LOVE.
My wife won't go for the cooking part, but she has already remarked that by day 4 this trip she just might not be completely worn out.

Tom P.

I understand the thinking but crowd levels are also down meaning you’re more likely to finish touring a park earlier. I admit I’ll miss the nighttime atmosphere / activities but I can make up for it with dining at resorts or DS.
I understand that, but that just does not match our style of vacationing. We have literally never once done a rope drop in all our visits. Not once. We have no interest in being up early on vacation. It would be rare for us to arrive at a park before noon. So not having the evening hours available would be a no-go for us. Also, nighttime is our favorite time to be in the park.

Sure, we could go earlier in the day and get more done because of the lower wait times. But we would not want to do it that way. That's what I'm saying. I could live with changes to entertainment, social distancing, wearing masks, etc. I could live with changes to dining and meet and greets. But the park hours just would be a deal-breaker for us. We'd rather just wait until things are back to normal. It's not that important for us to get to Disney to adjust our entire way of vacationing.

JohnD

I understand that, but that just does not match our style of vacationing. We have literally never once done a rope drop in all our visits. Not once. We have no interest in being up early on vacation. It would be rare for us to arrive at a park before noon. So not having the evening hours available would be a no-go for us. Also, nighttime is our favorite time to be in the park.

Sure, we could go earlier in the day and get more done because of the lower wait times. But we would not want to do it that way. That's what I'm saying. I could live with changes to entertainment, social distancing, wearing masks, etc. I could live with changes to dining and meet and greets. But the park hours just would be a deal-breaker for us. We'd rather just wait until things are back to normal. It's not that important for us to get to Disney to adjust our entire way of vacationing.

I never said you had to go at "rope drop". However, "rope drop" at this point is now 9:00, 10:00, or 11:00, depending on park.

Hcalvert

We stayed at POP for a week in Feb 2020 and chose to opt out of the Housekeeping. We received a $60 gift card. We put our trash outside the door every morning when we left for the parks and asked for new towels daily. They always took the trash, left extra towels and trash bags. We made our own beds. We had no problem with this. We were there about a month before the COVID really started so don't know how much it has changed, but we would still opt out of Housekeeping in the future because it wasn't a big deal to us.
I stayed at Jambo and Poly for a total of 14 nights (5 at Jambo, 9 at Poly)as a DVC reservation. I did not opt out and my room was cleaned every four days like the previous DVC service. However, they did trash every day and replenished the toiletries and towels every other day. So, I actually got more service than I normally do when staying DVC.

jaklgreen

Wow, paying full price and toilets and shower are not even cleaned daily. The sign of the times, paying more to receive less😒

I want a poll on how many people actually clean their toilets and showers every day at home. I know that I don't. We also reuse our bath towels because we are just drying our clean bodies with them so they are not "dirty". I have no issues with housekeeping not coming in every day. It actually grosses me out worse to have someone come and touch things.

Club Cooloholic

I want a poll on how many people actually clean their toilets and showers every day at home. I know that I don't. We also reuse our bath towels because we are just drying our clean bodies with them so they are not "dirty". I have no issues with housekeeping not coming in every day. It actually grosses me out worse to have someone come and touch things.
While I agree with some of this, I do like a quick vacuum and fresh towels at least.

jaklgreen

While I agree with some of this, I do like a quick vacuum and fresh towels at least.

Fresh towels you can get whenever you ask for them. I usually ask for more on the first day and that way I can go longer without bugging house keeping. I also just grab what little garbage that I have and take it with me and put it in the closest bin. We are just not messy people and are able to keep our room pretty clean. Having them come in every few days instead of every day works great for us.

Jon81uk

Yep, at home I clean the bathroom weekly, maybe vacuum twice a week maximum, change towels weekly and bedding is changed every 1-2 weeks.
I don't need more cleaning service on holiday. It is nice having it and I love seeing towel animals every day, but I could live with them coming every three days. Even trash doesn't need taking out daily really from a standard hotel room as you aren't cooking or preparing anything smelly.
But the price should reflect the service offered and this seems to be the issue with WDW at the moment, more so on park tickets, they aren't worth full price without the full show of parades and fireworks.

RoadiJeff

However, if they are no longer offering the gift card as an incentive to opt out, we may not do so. It will depend on what C19 looks like in FY21.
I would view the lack of daily housekeeping as a way to pocket the otherwise $5/day gratuity I leave by the bathroom sink. If they don't want to bother coming in my room each day and do 10 minutes of simple cleaning that's OK by my wallet. 🙂

wdwfan22

I disagree. When i'm paying over $400 a night I except the room to be cleaned daily. I don't reuse bath towels even at home and i shouldn't have to call daily to have them brought to me. If they don't want to provide housekeeping then the daily rate should be changed to reflect that.

drizgirl

How many people actually enter a theme park every day at home? See? No need to insist on that even if you have purchased ticket media.

I can stay home with my inferior cleaning schedule for free. That's the difference.

UNCgolf

What I do at home has no bearing on what I do on vacation that's why I go on vacation especially at WDW. If you are not going to give me the same service that you used to---- cut the price of the room

This is the main point.

I don't actually care about not having daily housekeeping (in fact, I kind of like the idea of no one else coming into our room on at least some days), but I absolutely don't want to pay as much for my room if that's going to be the new SOP. It was part of the price.

jaklgreen

I disagree. When i'm paying over $400 a night I except the room to be cleaned daily. I don't reuse bath towels even at home and i shouldn't have to call daily to have them brought to me. If they don't want to provide housekeeping then the daily rate should be changed to reflect that.

Do you actually think that they scrub the toilets and shower every day? They do that during turn over days or if they see it needs it. But on a daily, quick clean, they change towels that are on the floor, make the bed and wipe down the sink. They are not allotted enough time to do a full clean of every person's room every day. Sorry to burst your bubble. You are in the minority of people who don't reuse a bath towel at home so your expectations are probably different then most people. You can always ask for more towels when you get there and that way they don't have to come in every day to switch them out. Good luck getting any kind of reduction in room rate. You are receiving a fully stocked, clean room. It is unreasonable to not reuse a clean bath towel more then once. But they will happily bring you more.

jaklgreen

How many people actually enter a theme park every day at home? See? No need to insist on that even if you have purchased ticket media.

I can stay home with my inferior cleaning schedule for free. That's the difference.

That doesn't even make sense and is not even close to any kind of comparison about house keeping standards.

wdwfan22

Do you actually think that they scrub the toilets and shower every day? They do that during turn over days or if they see it needs it. But on a daily, quick clean, they change towels that are on the floor, make the bed and wipe down the sink. They are not allotted enough time to do a full clean of every person's room every day. Sorry to burst your bubble. You are in the minority of people who don't reuse a bath towel at home so your expectations are probably different then most people. You can always ask for more towels when you get there and that way they don't have to come in every day to switch them out. Good luck getting any kind of reduction in room rate. You are receiving a fully stocked, clean room. It is unreasonable to not reuse a clean bath towel more then once. But they will happily bring you more.
Daily housekeeping includes wiping down the bath tub, sweeping the floors and balcony floors. Rooms that still have carpet are vacuumed daily. Beds made trash collected and counters wiped. This happens daily at Disney resorts. Sorry to burst your bubble but this is a daily part of the housekeeping routine. Not just at Disney but most high end resorts. I travel often and know what to expect.

NelleBelle

But are any hotels offering daily housekeeping at this time?? From what I've been reading, sounds as if it's standard practice at this point not to offer many things we take for granted on vacation (valet car service, bags being schlepped to your room by bell services, etc).

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/15/hot...resorts-make-safety-changes-for-covid-19.html

I also found the below from Marriott, which we frequently stay at (or will once we feel comfortable enough staying in a hotel again).

"In keeping with Marriott's Commitment to Clean, we have notice made several enhancements to our cleaning practices throughout our property and in guest rooms. These include:
Enhanced Public Space Cleaning: We have increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfection, particularly in areas with high traffic including restrooms, elevators, and escalators as well as provided more hand sanitizing stations.
Electrostatic Spraying: We're utilizing enhanced technologies, including electrostatic sprayers with hospital-grade disinfectants, to support our already rigorous cleanliness protocols.
Room Amenities

• In-room coffee makers are not currently available, but guests can request contactless coffee delivery
  • Disinfectant wipes are available in the room for every arriving guest as well as upon requestEmployees and Guests MUST wear personal face coverings upon entry and in all public spaces.
Every guest room is thoroughly cleaned and disinfected prior to your arrival. During your stay, we will not provide housekeeping automatically every day. If you wish to receive daily housekeeping refresh service, please let us our guest services team know. We will be happy to make schedule service according to your preferences. Please note that if you are staying with us a bit longer, we will automatically clean your guest room after every 6th night."

I thought this article had good points on both sides. Personally, when we are on vacation, I like to have my washcloths replaced because I use one for my face and one for my body (not reusing one that has washed, erm, areas that don't need to have contact with my face). I tend to go through those more than the towels. If just me and the DH, we tend to reuse and have plenty of towels. But when with the teen boys, they shower twice a day sometimes (thank the lord 'cause sometimes they reek after a long day) and use whatever towel there is. So we go through the towels and we need them out of the room and replaced. And I like my bed made up for me as a break. But it would be no big deal if it didn't happen.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel...dates-create-new-rift-in-hospitality-industry

Regardless, hopefully the housekeepers/mousekeepers of wherever people are staying are getting tipped, even for the "little" they may seem to be doing. I'm sure with the restrictions of cleaning rooms less often, they are receiving less tips, which is a big pay cut for them. We've been tipping larger than usual for those in service industries (restaurants, salons, etc) as they've been hurting financially through this.

Herdman

Amazing how different each person's take is on this subject. What means very little to us (complete daily housekeeping) means the absolute World (pun intended) to the next person. I guess that's what makes the actual world go round...

AnnMfrey

Looking at My Disney Experience for my April 2021 reservation, it looks like I have the option to request every-other-day housekeeping or to opt out of housekeeping entirely. Has daily housekeeping been put on hold due to COVID or is this expected to be a permanent change? Either way, I'm not happy about it.
I just booked a reservation and am super annoyed at the "every other day" room cleaning. Give me a break! we are paying a fortune to stay at Disney resorts. Clean the rooms!!!!!! GRRRRRRRR

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom