D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

WDWDad13

Dare I say the "doom and gloomers" are true fans?

sure...especially since they hang out on a Disney message board... I get that... i just find it comical that the post slant is towards Disney being so stale, a waste of money, going downhill, downright terrible, Uni doing it better, etc. etc. and then continue to go

I nothing against him or anyone on here for that matter... I just think his "insider" info and fan following now is mostly artificially made

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
What? '74 was proving a point, he doesn't hate Disney, as a lot of ignorant people here claim that about him and others who are disappointed with their products and share their disappointment. Please re-read it more carefully.
And if you go back to his original post to me, he was deliberately suggesting that I couldn't possibly be enjoying D23 on its own merits, but must be so shallow as to think that buying some swag was enjoyment of an event. He then went on to suggest that I'd be a moron to think so since all that swag could be purchased on eBay.

Perhaps you might re-read as well...

@WDW1974 has his occasional good information, I just don't care for his delivery of it or the fawning he receives mostly from people he clearly has no interest in.

The most amusing is that he commented on how off-topic this thread has gone and then dragged it further off. :rolleyes:

Californian Elitist

sure...especially since they hang out on a Disney message board... I get that... i just find it comical that the post slant is towards Disney being so stale, a waste of money, going downhill, downright terrible, Uni doing it better, etc. etc. and then continue to go

You're missing the bigger picture. Please don't take offense at all, but maybe you should sign up for DisBoards, if you haven't done so already. They don't speak up and complain over there... Just blissfully happy.

CinematicFusion

I have been to the parks every year for the past 10, and there is always some new attraction to enjoy. It doesn't always have to be an E-ticket to make it good or worthwhile. Not counting refurbishments or attractions replacements doesn't register with me. Test Track 2.0 and Star Tours 2.0 are very awesome, and great updates. The interactive queues popping up, have also really added to the overall experience at the parks IMHO.
I used to go with my family in the 1980's, and new attractions were very few and far between. That no longer is the case.

It looks like that is all that it takes to bring customers back. You are very happy with what they are doing. Refurb rides and built interactive queues and it brings you back. I think you are going to see more of the same.
I think you are right, Disney doesn't have to do anything else and the stats show this.
1. Record number of attendance at parks
2. Record amount of time between substantial rides being built.

In the 1980's, Disney was on the verge of collaspse and it faced bankruptcy. That had good reason not to be building at the parks.

WDWDad13

You're missing the bigger picture. Please don't take offense at all, but maybe you should sign up for DisBoards, if you haven't done so already. They don't speak up and complain over there... Just blissfully happy.

trust me I get it... I've been to the other boards...it's a little too magical for my liking to be honest lol but some good info there... just not some of the rumors like on here

Disney needs to step it up
Uni is doing what Disney should be doing
etc. etc. all of that I agree with

its the other heap of dung that I don't

Californian Elitist

And if you go back to his original post to me, he was deliberately suggesting that I couldn't possibly be enjoying D23 on its own merits, but must be so shallow as to think that buying some swag was enjoyment of an event. He then went on to suggest that I'd be a moron to think so since all that swag could be purchased on eBay.

Perhaps you might re-read as well...

@WDW1974 has his occasional good information, I just don't care for his delivery of it or the fawning he receives mostly from people he clearly has no interest in.

The most amusing is that he commented on how off-topic this thread has gone and then dragged it further off. :rolleyes:

Monty, when did I ever make a comment about agreeing with '74 that you couldn't possibly be enjoying yourself at the Expo? Never. I didn't comment about anything in regards to you, as a matter of fact. I'm happy you're enjoying the Expo and I want you to continue to have a good time.

I responded to another user because their response to a specific part of '74's post made absolutely no sense. I comment back when I see it fit, and one of those comments had nothing to do with you enjoying the Expo.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Monty, when did I ever make a comment about agreeing with '74 that you couldn't possibly be enjoying yourself at the Expo? Never. I didn't comment about anything in regards to you, as a matter of fact. I'm happy you're enjoying the Expo and I want you to continue to have a good time.

I responded to another user because their response to a specific part of '74's post made absolutely no sense. I comment back when I see it fit, and one of those comments had nothing to do with you enjoying the Expo.
I appreciate that, but in the string of posts that led to his comments was '74's comment to me.

My offence to '74's original comment to me may have flowed through to the subsequent rock-throwing. One of the main reasons I avoid '74!s threads... He irks me! :cautious:

I'll bow out now.

Californian Elitist

I appreciate that, but in the string of posts that led to his comments was '74's comment to me.

My offence to '74's original comment to me may have flowed through to the subsequent rock-throwing. One of the main reasons I avoid '74!s threads... He irks me! :cautious:

I'll bow out now.

He doesn't mean it in a bullying-type way. Just a unique and different way of trying to start a discussion, whether the parties agree or disagree. Some people find it amusing and others don't like it. Put him on ignore, if he irks you that much.

I honestly hope this hasn't put a damper on your mood. I hope you can get into some good panels/see some interesting things and report back here.

WDWDad13

No it is because Spirit indeed as an inside track ... some people get their info from third parties working with the Mouse or some organizations close to Mouse Nest.

an inside track with rumors we can all get from one of the bus drivers

anyone could paint themselves as an "insider" and post rumors that are out there on the net in other places or even make something up all together... no one would know the difference

PhotoDave219

Hey I'm with you...I want new investments into the parks. Hasn't been happening as I've posted earlier. Disney for some reason feels they don't need to build...and they haven't (again I'm talking about rides..not shops). We can complain all we want but the facts are....record number of people going to parks.

I guess we have to hope the new Universal plans creates a shift in consumer spending habits at Disney. Maybe Comcast has that type of clout, they sure are going to try.

If that happens, I promise you that new rides will be springing up everywhere.

Current management somehow appears to feel (or give the impression) that as long as guest levels aren't dropping, theres no need to invest in new attractions.

Either that or they have the misguided idea that "The Guests Will Always Come."

Well guests are (allegedly) coming in record numbers - but that can only last for so long. You cant have record crowds each and every quarter. Also, the parks just dont feel busy as compared to last year. Attendance seems to spike during free dining and discounted packages. Iger says he doesnt like those, so why not invest in things that will get the guests to keep coming rather than trying to rely on gimmicks to drive attendance?

CinematicFusion

That's what's tripping you up.
It isn't completely true.

MK...yes, it's had a bit of an uptick.
But in FL...that's it.

Hey Lee,
I'm just going by what the financials stated in the latest earnings report.
"Attendance at the Anaheim and Orlando, Fla., parks increased 3 percent, with both resorts setting attendance records for the quarter, said Jay Rasulo, the company’s chief financial officer, in a conference call with investors."
They don't break it down more then that and so I don't know if Mr. Rasulo is being is being truthful or not?

On the good news front...
“We’re going to continue to invest in Disneyland,” Iger said. “We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next couple of months.”
So I guess stay tuned there, hoping WDW gets some love also.

PhotoDave219

It looks like that is all that it takes to bring customers back. You are very happy with what they are doing. Refurb rides and built interactive queues and it brings you back. I think you are going to see more of the same.
I think you are right, Disney doesn't have to do anything else and the stats show this.
1. Record number of attendance at parks
2. Record amount of time between substantial rides being built.

In the 1980's, Disney was on the verge of collaspse and it faced bankruptcy. That had good reason not to be building at the parks.

I dont believe we're having record attendance. And since Disney doesnt release numbers, we cant examine them.

And No, This isn't a record year for attendance at MK. That would be 1991 when they had an estimated 18 million guests visit MK.

danjen2331

I agree with you for first, second time familes who go to the park. WDW is a beautiful park, a wonderful park. However for a one day family of 4 park hopper pass to these parks it's $540.00 That is a lot of money for seeing the same things over and over again. Include the plane ride to get there, hotel, car, food and it starts to add up fast!!

Disney is a multi billion dollar industry and they can't drop in a new ride every 5 years?

You are right...Disney is fun to absorb the surroundings. You don't have to enter the parks to do this. You can go to Downtown Disney, You can walk through the Deluxe Hotels and eat. It's very fun...and it's free.
I'm not paying $540.00 so I can look at the surroundings at the park.

You get the feeling WDW is sitting there wondering how to keep the huge crowds rolling in without spending a dime on anything new.
No one would have believed that in May of 2005 after soaring opened that you wouldn't see another new ride up to this point.
9 Years in Epcot...no new ride. Think about that for a second. (Unless I'm forgetting something...which is possible) Now, they did CLOSE a huge pavilion in 2007...never to be opened again..so that is something recent according to Disney's timeline.
Again, I don't count refurbs (or closings) as something new...you have to keep rides relevant and up to date.

When was the last new ride at DHS? Toy Story Mania in 2008. When was the last ride before that? (Again, I don't count refurbs like Star Tours, every once in awhile you need to remodel your home...sometimes the remodel goes very very wrong like Journey into Imagination.)
So the last ride before Toy Story Mania was...RNR Roller Coaster??? No way that is it...that was opened in 1999. In 14 years, Disney has opened up one new ride at DHS...One! And that was 6 years ago.
Fantasmic opened in 1998...15 years ago.

Animal Kingdom opened in 1998...15 years ago...and they have introduced 1 new ride into the park. Expedition Everest...great ride...opened April, 2006...8 years ago.

These are great parks, the reason people are starting to feel they are a little stale is because they are. There hasn't been anything exciting or new to these parks is a long long long time.
*Since 2000 Islands of Adventure has opened 1 new ride (FJ)... And that was in 2009! (I don't count refurbs like Dragons or the Suess Trolley)
The same as DHS and Epcot!

*Since 2000 Studios has opened only 3 rides (Rockit, Mummy, Trnasformers)... (I don't count refurbs like Minons or Simpsons)
The same as AK!

*(Just saying... AK has also opened 3 new rides since 2000... Not 1. You forgot Dinoland)

I get what you are saying just thought you were not telling the whole story.

dopeylover

Well, this was a fun thread that was giving those that cannot go a look into the Expo and some friendly back and forth banter....now it looks to be yet another thread where only 1 person can be right and everyone who agrees with that person goes on and on defending their greatness. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I'm bowing out! Enjoy the rest of the Expo to those who are there!!!

SirLink

an inside track with rumors we can all get from one of the bus drivers

anyone could paint themselves as an "insider" and post rumors that are out there on the net in other places or even make something up all together... no one would know the difference

Eh ... sorry your spreading some BS and it isn't over the Petunias either. 1) @WDW1974 has posted information here first or when he used to post more frequent on another board. 2)Spirit doesn't spread BS.

So maybe you should just believe others like @marni1971 @Lee @whylightbulb etc. Or give up your pretense

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom