D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

Californian Elitist

I can...my last visit to Cali a year ago...and it was hot and HUMID!

I was so upset because I brought my girlfriend and it was her first visit to Cali and I had been bragging about how there's no humidity and its nowhere near as hot as Florida...and sadly, it was WORSE!

Last summer was hot, but not this one! Thank God. I'll take dry heat over humidity any day. The rare times there is slight humidity in the air, it doesn't get nearly as bad as the humidity I experienced east.

CinematicFusion

That's exactly it. People have forgot how to go to Disney and be absorbed in by all the surroundings and just enjoy themselves and all they want are e-ticket RIDES. Sounds like universal is their place then....and I have no problems with that

The Disney experience isn't all about RIDES...thrill rides especially....that is however how I see universal and it lacks the same experience IMO

I agree with you for first, second time familes who go to the park. WDW is a beautiful park, a wonderful park. However for a one day family of 4 park hopper pass to these parks it's $540.00 That is a lot of money for seeing the same things over and over again. Include the plane ride to get there, hotel, car, food and it starts to add up fast!!

Disney is a multi billion dollar industry and they can't drop in a new ride every 5 years?

You are right...Disney is fun to absorb the surroundings. You don't have to enter the parks to do this. You can go to Downtown Disney, You can walk through the Deluxe Hotels and eat. It's very fun...and it's free.
I'm not paying $540.00 so I can look at the surroundings at the park.

You get the feeling WDW is sitting there wondering how to keep the huge crowds rolling in without spending a dime on anything new.
No one would have believed that in May of 2005 after soaring opened that you wouldn't see another new ride up to this point.
9 Years in Epcot...no new ride. Think about that for a second. (Unless I'm forgetting something...which is possible) Now, they did CLOSE a huge pavilion in 2007...never to be opened again..so that is something recent according to Disney's timeline.
Again, I don't count refurbs (or closings) as something new...you have to keep rides relevant and up to date.

When was the last new ride at DHS? Toy Story Mania in 2008. When was the last ride before that? (Again, I don't count refurbs like Star Tours, every once in awhile you need to remodel your home...sometimes the remodel goes very very wrong like Journey into Imagination.)
So the last ride before Toy Story Mania was...RNR Roller Coaster??? No way that is it...that was opened in 1999. In 14 years, Disney has opened up one new ride at DHS...One! And that was 6 years ago.
Fantasmic opened in 1998...15 years ago.

Animal Kingdom opened in 1998...15 years ago...and they have introduced 1 new ride into the park. Expedition Everest...great ride...opened April, 2006...8 years ago.

These are great parks, the reason people are starting to feel they are a little stale is because they are. There hasn't been anything exciting or new to these parks is a long long long time.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Monty, I thought you Canadians were better than us ...and that you didn't lie just for the heck of it.

Your last statement is a load of BS and I get tired of responding to it. I love DCL. Three cruises booked through 2014 with another coming (won't take all, to be fair). I guess you missed the fact that I loved The Lone Ranger and thought Monsters U was terrific too. And I am not in any way looking forward to my visit to DLR next month. Oh, and I just hated my 11 days at DAK Lodge in May too.

Seriously, if you want to debate anything Disney, bring it on. But to say that I think nothing of Disney is of any value is dumb. And I thought you Canucks were smarter than us too!
Actually, I was not aware that you liked either movie, didn't have a clue you were going to DLR or staying at AKL in May, as a matter or fact, I haven't even opened your various threads in months for the simple reason that they all get far too much ranting by others even more than yourself and simply aren't worth the effort to skim through to try and find the occasional nugget of useful information you choose to dole out after dosing it in whatever vitriol you can.

Being aware of any of your likes and dislikes is not high on my priorities.

You posted a caustic comment suggesting that the only reason I might be enjoying the D23 Expo was the swag I would more readily get in eBay, I replied that that was not the case.

Perhaps if you restricted your posting to your own personal "Love me/hug me" threads we would never converse at all...

WDWDad13

Actually, I was not aware that you liked either movie, didn't have a clue you were going to DLR or staying at AKL in May, as a matter or fact, I haven't even opened your various threads in months for the simple reason that they all get far too much ranting by others even more than yourself and simply aren't worth the effort to skim through to try and find the occasional nugget of useful information you choose to dole out after dosing it in whatever vitriol you can.

Being aware of any of your likes and dislikes is not high on my priorities.

You posted a caustic comment suggesting that the only reason I might be enjoying the D23 Expo was the swag I would more readily get in eBay, I replied that that was not the case.

Perhaps if you restricted your posting to your own personal "Love me/hug me" threads we would never converse at all...

*** APPLAUSE ****
:)
Monty has now pulled ahead in the best post of the year award category lol

WDWDad13

Monty, I thought you Canadians were better than us ...and that you didn't lie just for the heck of it.

Your last statement is a load of BS and I get tired of responding to it. I love DCL. Three cruises booked through 2014 with another coming (won't take all, to be fair). I guess you missed the fact that I loved The Lone Ranger and thought Monsters U was terrific too. And I am not in any way looking forward to my visit to DLR next month. Oh, and I just hated my 11 days at DAK Lodge in May too.

Seriously, if you want to debate anything Disney, bring it on. But to say that I think nothing of Disney is of any value is dumb. And I thought you Canucks were smarter than us too!

so... because you go on Disney Cruises, go to DL, and stayed at the AKL makes you special and more knowledgeable? lol

if that's all it takes...then I bet some of us are even more special

CinematicFusion

19 pages on nothing ...you guys are giving Disney and D23 way too much attention.

DHS: Last ride before Toy Story Mania was...RNR Roller Coaster??? That was opened in 1999. In 14 years, Disney has opened up one new ride at DHS...One! And that was 6 years ago.
Yet...People are cool with this???
Stats show it...people are flocking to these parks at record numbers. Why does Disney need to build anything and you know what...they haven't!

Adventures of Winnie the Pooh opened in 1999...that was the last ride in Magic Kingdom before Fantasyland expansion. A whopping 15 years from completion to completion.
You wont see another new attraction at the Magic Kingdom competed until 2029 if they keep that trend!

WDWDad13

DHS: Last ride before Toy Story Mania was...RNR Roller Coaster??? That was opened in 1999. In 14 years, Disney has opened up one new ride at DHS...One! And that was 6 years ago.
Stats show it...people are flocking to these parks at record numbers. Why does Disney need to build anything and you know what...they haven't!

Adventures of Winnie the Pooh opened in 1999...that was the last ride in Magic Kingdom before Fantasyland expansion. A whopping 15 years from completion to completion.
You wont see another new attraction at the Magic Kingdom competed until 2029 if they keep that trend!

this is sad but true... whether we like it or not they are running a business and increasing their numbers... I still think each park needs a steroid shot or 5 but it is what it is....it isn't all doom and gloom like a lot of posters these days make us believe

with that being said though... the repeat visitors and locals are going to need to be thrown a bone every once in awhile

CinematicFusion

this is sad but true... whether we like it or not they are running a business and increasing their numbers... I still think each park needs a steroid shot or 5 but it is what it is....it isn't all doom and gloom like a lot of posters these days make us believe

with that being said though... the repeat visitors and locals are going to need to be thrown a bone every once in awhile

No, it's not doom and gloom and Disney isn't going out of business anytime soon. Their stock is at an all time high and people are flocking to the parks.
Why would you build anything new, unless you needed more space like with the Magic Kingdom.

Californian Elitist

so... because you go on Disney Cruises, go to DL, and stayed at the AKL makes you special and more knowledgeable? lol

if that's all it takes...then I bet some of us are even more special

What? '74 was proving a point, he doesn't hate Disney, as a lot of ignorant people here claim that about him and others who are disappointed with their products and share their disappointment. Please re-read it more carefully.

WDWDad13

What? '74 was proving a point, he doesn't hate Disney, as a lot of ignorant people here claim that about him and others who are disappointed with their products and share their disappointment. Please re-read it more carefully.

Yeah I know haha...but if he loves Disney...he maybe in bed with UNI

PhotoDave219

No, it's not doom and gloom and Disney isn't going out of business anytime soon. Their stock is at an all time high and people are flocking to the parks.
Why would you build anything new, unless you needed more space like with the Magic Kingdom.

To keep the guests coming back.

How much money are we losing on entitlements to keep the guests coming back rather than continuing to invest in the parks?

SJN1279

I have been to the parks every year for the past 10, and there is always some new attraction to enjoy. It doesn't always have to be an E-ticket to make it good or worthwhile. Not counting refurbishments or attractions replacements doesn't register with me. Test Track 2.0 and Star Tours 2.0 are very awesome, and great updates. The interactive queues popping up, have also really added to the overall experience at the parks IMHO.
I used to go with my family in the 1980's, and new attractions were very few and far between. That no longer is the case.

Magenta Panther

WDW74 is a true Disney fan, in my opinion. Someone who understands and respects the legacy of Walt Disney, and only wants the company to return to that legacy. I share his feelings, although I'm not nearly as knowledgable as he. I appreciate his posts here, and I value his frankness. I think true fans of Disney need to keep yelling, keep protesting, keep the suits on their toes. Otherwise the parks will continue to stagnate, because all Iger cares about are stockholders, and all stockholders care about is money. Which is understandable in most instances, but not if you're a stockholder of Disney. Something more than money should motivate you to invest in that company. Otherwise, you don't understand its true value - or what SHOULD be its true value. *sigh*

PhotoDave219

You mean that people are dissatisfied with Disney's short-term quarterly outlook and would prefer a long term strategic reinvestment in the parks.

Californian Elitist

WDW74 is a true Disney fan, in my opinion. Someone who understands and respects the legacy of Walt Disney, and only wants the company to return to that legacy. I share his feelings, although I'm not nearly as knowledgable as he. I appreciate his posts here, and I value his frankness. I think true fans of Disney need to keep yelling, keep protesting, keep the suits on their toes. Otherwise the parks will continue to stagnate, because all Iger cares about are stockholders, and all stockholders care about is money. Which is understandable in most instances, but not if you're a stockholder of Disney. Something more than money should motivate you to invest in that company. Otherwise, you don't understand its true value - or what SHOULD be its true value. *sigh*

Yep. Exactly.

CinematicFusion

To keep the guests coming back.

How much money are we losing on entitlements to keep the guests coming back rather than continuing to invest in the parks?

Hey I'm with you...I want new investments into the parks. Hasn't been happening as I've posted earlier. Disney for some reason feels they don't need to build...and they haven't (again I'm talking about rides..not shops). We can complain all we want but the facts are....record number of people going to parks.

I guess we have to hope the new Universal plans creates a shift in consumer spending habits at Disney. Maybe Comcast has that type of clout, they sure are going to try.

If that happens, I promise you that new rides will be springing up everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom