News D23 Expo Japan 2018

BlindChow

Well I guess a matter of personal preference. DHS's storyline makes sense, whereas the WDS one is lacking imo: the limo rushes you to the concert through a bunch of spotlights...?
The WDS one is terribly themed. I'm baffled at the explanation that this was supposed to be "making the video of the gig." :cautious: Maybe if my French was better that would've come through in the preshow? To me it came off as, "Hi, we're Aerosmith and we hope you like our roller coaster."

Not really a fan of the cartoony plywood flats of the DHS one, but at least they gave it a go. If they retheme it, though, I hope they go with something that fits a 1930's-40's theme so the ride fits in with everything else on Sunset.

At least the Universal contract basically keeps Marvel out of there.

Animaniac93-98

Are the Wizarding Worlds all that revolutionary? Hogsmeade’s timing, the first quality, substantive thing to open in Central Florida after 9/11, has helped build up its reputation as a game changer, but UNI only met a standard Disney set back in the 70s/80s.

I think both New Orleans Square and Liberty Square in their original forms were just as good, if not better, than Wizarding World.

brb1006

Well, NO SURPRISES from last night! the new PTN float looks nice, I'm guessing it'll debut with the I2 movie, or the opening of Pixar Pier?

What angers me the most is their letting MK's Parade fiasco go on and on! Plus we (think ) don't have the theater any more! Shouldn't Disney confirm the theater's fate since they made a big deal out of it back in July???
I was hoping they would go into more detail about the BATB ride.

brb1006

Just a friendly reminder that concept art for entertainment products nearly always looks like hot garbage. Concept art is only used for marketing purposes prior to the finished product; the actual designers work with more technical drawings. Entertainment has such a short lead time that they're generally able to use images of the real thing for in their advertisements; unless you follow park news, you're not going to ever see the concept art. As a result, we often see schematics or shop drawings that have been colored in, with characters/performers hastily photoshopped on to give a sense of scale
Festival-of-Fantasy-Parade_Full_18602.jpg

kpjg92-15nbluesky10large.jpg

3df0ef7d2e6eee4cfe37eb81d79863d3.jpg

(Don't even ask where that pole is going!)

The only real exception to this rule in recent memory is Rivers of Light. Even big-budget spectaculars use all sorts of images that were not quite fit for public consumption. But once the shows are up and running, they have countless images and films to use for their promotions, which is what 99% of the general public will see anyway
Does anyone have any concept art of Spectromagic during it's early stages?

WDWTank

Are the Wizarding Worlds all that revolutionary? Hogsmeade’s timing, the first quality, substantive thing to open in Central Florida after 9/11, has helped build up its reputation as a game changer, but UNI only met a standard Disney set back in the 70s/80s. Meanwhile, their non Potter slate has been mostly of poor quality, save for Nintendo, which hasn’t opened, and Volcano Bay, with its considerable planning and ops mistakes. I’ll feel better about UNI’s outlook once Tom Williams and Mark Woodbury are gone.

After seeing that plush, I can’t unthink Star Wars Etsy. Yet that plush is more appealing than most of the Star Wars crap I’ve seen shoved into every store around property.

Also, think about who the D23 Japan audience is given the lines folks stood in to buy merchandise.
Men in Black is AWESOME though :)

rioriz

It was a bit much. Pixar. Pixar. Marvel. Marvel. Pixar. Pixar. Pixar. Pixar. Marvel. Marvel.

I'm leaning towards an overkill right now on Pixar but Marvel's close behind.
And the massive hit that Black Panther will be only solidifies Marvel will be pushed in the parks and screen for years to come

Kman101

And the massive hit that Black Panther will be only solidifies Marvel will be pushed in the parks and screen for years to come

I have no issue with either. I know many on here don't agree but I think there's a place for Marvel and Pixar in the parks, especially Marvel. But I can see why some feel it's a bit shoved down their throats. Pixar this, Pixar that. lol. For the first time after reading a summary of the D23 "announcements" I noticed just how often "Pixar" came up and thought it was a little ridiculous.

Magenta Panther

It doesn’t help Paris got into the routine of pushing guests through the preshow room instead of being able to watch it to the end.

Like WDW does with the Haunted Mansion. Rush guests through the foyer preshow with the changing portrait and cram them into the Stretching Room as quickly as possible. Which is lame, greedy and disrespectful to guests AND the attraction.

FullSailDan

Like WDW does with the Haunted Mansion. Rush guests through the foyer preshow with the changing portrait and cram them into the Stretching Room as quickly as possible. Which is lame, greedy and disrespectful to guests AND the attraction.

And pointless.. just causes the queue for boarding the buggies to become messy. Ideally they should be timing it so each fresh group of people has only a few folks from the last group to maximize efficiency. I think original show plan had guests never seeing the others to increase the sense of being "trapped and alone"

No Name

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I can't be too upset about RnRC in WDSP going, so long as the DHS version stays. The exterior is vomit and the storyline is weird. I just wish there was a vision for the park, so that when making these kind of decisions, they'd have some direction. For example, what will the setting be? What will the storyline be? These are decisions that could be made wisely if they had some plan for the future.

Space Mountain returns in November which is good.

disneygeek90

It was a bit much. Pixar. Pixar. Marvel. Marvel. Pixar. Pixar. Pixar. Pixar. Marvel. Marvel.

I'm leaning towards an overkill right now on Pixar but Marvel's close behind.
I mean... at least the Pixar is an "original" IP. It seems every other project announced now is Marvel or Guardians related. I know there's tons of fans for those, but I'm not interested in any of it.

brb1006

Well at least the new Mickey and Minnie heads made their first appearance in Japan let alone the moving heads for Mickey and friends.

cjkeating

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I can't be too upset about RnRC in WDSP going, so long as the DHS version stays. The exterior is vomit and the storyline is weird. I just wish there was a vision for the park, so that when making these kind of decisions, they'd have some direction. For example, what will the setting be? What will the storyline be? These are decisions that could be made wisely if they had some plan for the future.

Space Mountain returns in November which is good.

People close to DLP rumours suggest this is just the first part of a Marvel Land so I would assume they already have a final land layout (at least in a draft format) so Marvel RNRC will be the first piece of that jigsaw. I have heard the land will move forward however I would hope LMA makes way for the HK/DCA E-Ticket.

No Name

People close to DLP rumours suggest this is just the first part of a Marvel Land so I would assume they already have a final land layout (at least in a draft format) so Marvel RNRC will be the first piece of that jigsaw. I have heard the land will move forward however I would hope LMA makes way for the HK/DCA E-Ticket.

Oh yeah, I'm sure their "grand vision" is a park with a Star Wars Land, Marvel Land, Pixar Land, and whatnot, that don't relate in any way. That's about all I'd expect from the current folks. As for LMA, it's my favorite show so I'd hate to see it go, but like many things in that park, its not in a great spot.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom