News D23 Expo 2022

matt9112

I was wondering how the D23 Expo announcements for Walt Disney World this year compare to previous years. I created the spreadsheet below, showing how the expos compare. New lands / attractions are in bold.

Notes:
  • The 2009 parks panel revealed New Fantasyland, but some parts of it were completely changed. They talked about Pixie Hollow and a place where you can visit Cinderella in her country chateau (see video)
  • The 2011 panel was very light, with only updates on New Fantasyland
  • The D23 Expo in 2013 didn't have a parks panel, but 12 separate imagineering panels. I couldn't find any announcements
  • 2015 and 2017 were epic years, with lots of new lands and rides announced
  • 2019 has a long list, but not many new attractions and lots of updates
  • 2022 looks pretty sad compared to the previous 3 expos

The Epcot changes really should have a half x. We know a lot of that was cut back.

J4546

Wonder what the euro loosing parity and the recession that is now unavoidable in Europe will do for future holiday travel to the swamp. Disney probably knows this and this might explain how….little they

I was wondering how the D23 Expo announcements for Walt Disney World this year compare to previous years. I created the spreadsheet below, showing how the expos compare. New lands / attractions are in bold.

Notes:
  • The 2009 parks panel revealed New Fantasyland, but some parts of it were completely changed. They talked about Pixie Hollow and a place where you can visit Cinderella in her country chateau (see video)
  • The 2011 panel was very light, with only updates on New Fantasyland
  • The D23 Expo in 2013 didn't have a parks panel, but 12 separate imagineering panels. I couldn't find any announcements
  • 2015 and 2017 were epic years, with lots of new lands and rides announced
  • 2019 has a long list, but not many new attractions and lots of updates
  • 2022 looks pretty sad compared to the previous 3 expos

Can you do that for California resorts? Just curious how it compares

wutisgood

Well, that's my position, too.

Not that they don't need to keep improving and moving forward in a thoughtful way. But there's no need to *counter* EU.
I think many Disney fans are in denial that Disney does not care about universal and universal is not going to force expansions in the Florida parks anymore. Even the recent projects like star wars and marvel were more about years of underinvestment and driven by investments in IP that included streaming and movies. People should be planning universal vacations if they want a lot of new things.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think many Disney fans are in denial that Disney does not care about universal and universal is not going to force expansions in the Florida parks anymore. Even the recent projects like star wars and marvel were more about years of underinvestment and driven by investments in IP that included streaming and movies. People should be planning universal vacations if they want a lot of new things.
If they want four mini-lands and a hub.

Hope they're fans of all four IPs.

And the 11 new rides are all winners.

Cmdr_Crimson

Speaking of something that was talked about to a screeching halt..How about that Main Street Theater..
hercules-hades.gif

Hawg G

I agree that Disney doesn’t feel a need to respond, but I will say… 11 rides in a park on opening day is a better track record then AK and the former MGM 😂
Epcot had like 7 rides before Rat opened. One of the largest parks I the world, and 40 years old. I don’t consider Land, Fiesta, or Nemo rides really. Maybe all three combined equal a real amusement park ride. And Universal doesn’t add Dumbo or teacup type clones in every land they build.

I do think Universal should install some C ticket boat based dark rides and simple dark rides to REALLY start hurting Disney. Something like SLOP.

Last edited:

Jrb1979

Which is probably why they don't have many options with no height requirement, limiting their appeal to families with very young children.
I have never seen an issue with that. Odds are that family would still pick Disney over Universal if they had mode options with no height requirements.

MadderAdder

Epcot had like 7 rides before Rat opened. One of the largest parks I the world, and 40 years old. I don’t consider Land, Fiesta, or Nemo rides really. Maybe all three combined equal a real amusement park ride. And Universal doesn’t add Dumbo or teacup type clones in every land they build.

I do think Universal should install some C ticket boat based dark rides and simple dark rides to REALLY start hurting Disney. Something like SLOP.
They’re definitely rides…

GimpYancIent

Interesting, no mention made, that the Golden Ticket Awards (sponsored by Amusements Today) gave "Walt Disney World snagged two awards: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Disney’s Hollywood Studios won Best Dark Ride for a second year. EPCOT’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind was chosen as Best New Ride Installation." Maybe because Dollywood snagged 3 awards which outshined Disney?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nintendo, HttYD, and the Hub will each have a ride for very young children, I don't know if completely without a height restriction.

Imagine a family with a range of kids age and they go to a park where there isn't one ride that doesn't require 'parent swap.'

I hope Uni/EU knows better than to do that.

wutisgood

Interesting, no mention made, that the Golden Ticket Awards (sponsored by Amusements Today) gave "Walt Disney World snagged two awards: Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at Disney’s Hollywood Studios won Best Dark Ride for a second year. EPCOT’s Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind was chosen as Best New Ride Installation." Maybe because Dollywood snagged 3 awards which outshined Disney?
A 450 million dollar ride better win the award. Imagine if Dollywood had that much money to expand in a single year. Disney budgets are insane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom