News D23 Expo 2022

fgmnt

A 450 million dollar ride better win the award. Imagine if Dollywood had that much money to expand in a single year. Disney budgets are insane.
I'd have to imagine the capital outlay of EPCOT since 2019 is larger than the total value of Dollywood's entire complex.

_caleb

i really don't mind any non-announcements that were made, my big takeaway was just how unrehearsed the whole thing seemed to be.
just so odd they couldn't muster anything more professional and thought out in terms of presentation
The marketing department wants them to seem more "authentic."

"See? We're really just fans like all of you in the audience!"

erasure fan1

Brian Roberts CEO of Comcast says they expect to gain market share with EU and they are on the “offensive” in Orlando. At least Uni gets it. Disney remains clueless until some heads start to roll.
Disney is beyond arrogant. They have zero reason to think Uni can put a dent in their market share because of their history. I'm not saying Disney has to worry. But it is better to be proactive rather than reactive. I'm sure Disney is expecting Epic U to be mediocre. Which is funny considering Uni out Disneyed Disney with Potter.

_caleb

Disney is beyond arrogant. They have zero reason to think Uni can put a dent in their market share because of their history. I'm not saying Disney has to worry. But it is better to be proactive rather than reactive. I'm sure Disney is expecting Epic U to be mediocre. Which is funny considering Uni out Disneyed Disney with Potter.
We know that at least some execs at Disney actually do feel threatened by some of what Universal has done.

wutisgood

We know that at least some execs at Disney actually do feel threatened by some of what Universal has done.
I wouldn't doubt Josh does. If he was pushing for expansion and Chapek said no thanks its going to make Chapek look like a fool. It's possible the insane price increases are a way to introduce "discounts" that take prices back a few years to keep demand high or more likely to buffer against some attendance loss saying it was part of the plan. I still think the Orlando market is growing for tourism fast enough that Epic universe is going to take on a lot of new demand vs Marketshare from Disney. The Disney parks might be just as crowded but Universal is going to take a lot of that increased demand because Disney refused to build extra capacity. I have met plenty of people in my last few trips that were at Universal or Sea World for the first time because Disney park passes ran out.

CaptainAmerica

Brian Roberts CEO of Comcast says they expect to gain market share with EU and they are on the “offensive” in Orlando. At least Uni gets it. Disney remains clueless until some heads start to roll.
It's an expanding market and Disney doesn't give a crap about share. "Expanding market share" does not mean "taking away from Disney."

Pretend Disney has 100 guests (77% share) and Universal has 30 guests (23% share).

Then Disney goes to 110 (74% share) guests and Universal goes to 38 guests (26% share).

In that example, Disney gained more guests than Universal did, but Universal still gained market share. A smaller competitor "gaining market share" from a larger competitor is expected because the same raw increases count more for them in percentage terms.

CaptainAmerica

Nintendo, HttYD, and the Hub will each have a ride for very young children, I don't know if completely without a height restriction.
Ah yes, I was just remarking at preschool drop-off this morning all of those HttYD backpacks the kids were wearing /s.

Imagine a family with a range of kids age and they go to a park where there isn't one ride that doesn't require 'parent swap.'

I hope Uni/EU knows better than to do that.
USO and IOA tell me they don't, in fact, know better than to do that.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It's an expanding market and Disney doesn't give a crap about share. "Expanding market share" does not mean "taking away from Disney."

Pretend Disney has 100 guests (77% share) and Universal has 30 guests (23% share).

Then Disney goes to 110 (74% share) guests and Universal goes to 38 guests (26% share).

In that example, Disney gained more guests than Universal did, but Universal still gained market share. A smaller competitor "gaining market share" from a larger competitor is expected because the same raw increases count more for them in percentage terms.
While I understand your sentiment, anyone who is a shareholder of Disney stock most certainly cares about market share. Outside of actual P&L, market share is the one of the most important aspects of any publicly traded company.

CaptainAmerica

While I understand your sentiment, anyone who is a shareholder of Disney stock most certainly cares about market share. Outside of actual P&L, market share is the one of the most important aspects of any publicly traded company.
1663602066423.png

Jrb1979

Ah yes, I was just remarking at preschool drop-off this morning all of those HttYD backpacks the kids were wearing /s.

USO and IOA tell me they don't, in fact, know better than to do that.
It's not that they don't care. The reason that they have height requirements on the majority of their rides is due to who manufactures the rides at Universal. Universal uses a lot of major amusement park manufacturers for their attractions. The manufacturers are the ones who set the height requirements not the parks.

The reason why Disney is able to get around that is a lot of the rides are done in house.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Not trying to "toot my own horn" but I worked for a fortune 500 company in their FP&A group for many years, not sure what this book represents or states but market share is critical to any organizations success, particularly if you've held the lion's share for a number of decades only to see it start degrading.
I am not saying Uni will over take the top market share in my lifetime, but even the perception of losing it will be costly for Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's not that they don't care. The reason that they have height requirements on the majority of their rides is due to who manufactures the rides at Universal. Universal uses a lot of major amusement park manufacturers for their attractions. The manufacturers are the ones who set the height requirements not the parks.

The reason why Disney is able to get around that is a lot of the rides are done in house.

If Universal was interested in catering to small children they would find a way to build rides with a low or no height requirement. They have decided that this is not their target audience.

CaptainAmerica

Not trying to "toot my own horn" but I worked for a fortune 500 company in their FP&A group for many years, not sure what this book represents or states but market share is critical to any organizations success, particularly if you've held the lion's share for a number of decades only to see it start degrading.
I work for a Fortune 100 company in their FP&A group.

I am not saying Uni will over take the top market share in my lifetime, but even the perception of losing it will be costly for Disney.
Hospitality and tourism is a $4 trillion industry and has literally millions of competitors. It's not an industry that cares about market share.

"Central Florida Theme Park operators" is not a market, except maybe as it applies to annual pass sales.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom