News D23 Expo 2022

UNCgolf

I would rather see more trackless than more coasters. 🤷‍♂️

Me too -- no question about it.

With that said, they seem to be stuck in a rut with the system design wise. I'd rather have more omnimovers or boat rides than trackless, since they seem unable to avoid putting them in giant warehouse spaces. I'd still take the BatB trackless ride (even with its flaws, some of which are pretty serious, it looks better than MMRR and Ratatouille to me) or Pooh's Hunny Hunt, though, because I'm not sure they will design anything better.

TheMaxRebo

I just don’t think it’s great. I think more would agree If it weren’t on the other side of the world… but most decided it’s greatness via YouTube…

The ride system is just tired imo.

It my favorite Disney Dark ride I have been on (I haven't been to Tokyo so some there might top it)

I think it is so, so well done.

Personally, rather than the ride as is I would like to take that and retheme it, either as the house in Encanto come to life or for a new Figment ride.

I don't see how it fits in Animal Kingdom as is

TheMaxRebo

How many do we have now? 3? I remember a few years ago we had pretty much zero and it’s all anyone wanted.

I think issue is all 3 have come so recently and two were opened back to back in the same park and then the latest one added is a clone of an old ride so actually the weakest use of the technology ... So I think people are a little tired of it - for now. But after a few other/different new rides (latest and next are both coasters) then can bring another trackless ride, if the ride system is what makes most sense

Rosso11

Anything you can hint at? Maybe what park it will be in?
No unfortunately I do not know what will be announced. What I do know is there is a lot being worked on but that doesn’t mean it will all be green lit. There is a strong push to make some big announcements. Hopefully that will happen and they will actually be built. It seems that the projects that were announced prior to covid took a bigger hit overall as far as budgets and cancellations. Projects that were not announced yet have kept moving forward.

Phicinfan

But all that is old stuff…sad if we need annual “updates” on things for 3,4,5 years…
But extremely relevant. They need to show folks completion of these items soon, especially if you are correct, which you probably are... that there won't be any further expansion in rest of parks
They don’t think it’s important…or studios…
But the clock runs on park stagnation every second after opening day.
Yes it does, but the fact seems to be they don't want to spend the money. So additions to HS and AK to me aren't priority. At least not to Disney. For that matter I can't see them spend anything more on MK after adding Tron( a true addition I might add...). Heck I would do the happy dance of Joy if they committed to an overhaul of Space Mountain, as part of their update to Tomorrow land in WDW.

Phicinfan

Here's the thing, aside from Stitch... anything on that list is something that's already been announced. If all we get was an update on existing projects, that's a tremendous disappointment.
Yes
Opening dates on Tron, WDW Railroad, Moana and EPCOT's spine do not need to be a part of this presentation. They could be and it's fine if they are, but you don't need to charge people to be a part of the "excitement" that is that announcement.
But isn't this their MO now? Charge for no real benefit of the consumer? I will add though, I agree with you. That being said I DO think they need to commit to opening dates for these outstanding items. To not do so is another huge loss.
If I were to prioritize building times, you're 100% correct that SSE's update should probably take place before or at least concurrently with an overhaul on Imagination. I'd say concurrently as I would anticipate that both projects would be more than 12 months. The fact that the park currently has 11 rides would allow for both of them to be down simultaneously.

We know that prior to the 2017 D23 Expo, the EPCOT plans included:

• A Brazil Pavilion where Disney was putting in $200-250 mil
  • An Imagination Pavilion where Disney was putting in $200+ mil
  • A SSE update
  • A Living Seas Update
  • A update to Living with the Land
All of this was over and above Ratatouille and Guardians.
You missed the Mary Poppins add in United Kingdom and also the potential change of 3 caballeros in Mexico to Coco
Also, DAK has 8 rides including the train to nothing and a spinner. It needs at least two additional rides, but the announcement of at least one would be the absolute minimum I would expect. I could also see it being another off the shelf roller coaster making the announcement itself disappointing.

It doesn't solve the Dinorama issue, but to me, Mystic Manor makes all the sense in the world for the next addition to Disney's Animal Kingdom.
Don't totally disagree. But quite honestly I don't think AK should be ride heavy. IMO they decided that that park will be a upgraded zoo and environment area. So unless the "add" in AK will also include a total revamp of Dino land, to include a revamp of Dinosaur and a new ride and updated land, I would MUCH rather they spend the money at HS which also desperately needs new rides and put more effort there. Just my opinion though

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But extremely relevant. They need to show folks completion of these items soon, especially if you are correct, which you probably are... that there won't be any further expansion in rest of parks

The reality is that if THAT does something for “fans”…they’re marks and Disney already has them in their scopes.

It’s embarrassing how the bobs slow roll everything and sell it. The problem in amusement enterprises is that everything degrades around it.
We see it in splash…space rips itself apart a little more everyday - as does test track…
Only a matter of time until flight of passage starts to get “jerky”. These things happen with machines.

The problem is the focus is just to get you there…not to impress you once you’re there. Slow bleed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here's the thing, aside from Stitch... anything on that list is something that's already been announced. If all we get was an update on existing projects, that's a tremendous disappointment.

Opening dates on Tron, WDW Railroad, Moana and EPCOT's spine do not need to be a part of this presentation. They could be and it's fine if they are, but you don't need to charge people to be a part of the "excitement" that is that announcement.

If I were to prioritize building times, you're 100% correct that SSE's update should probably take place before or at least concurrently with an overhaul on Imagination. I'd say concurrently as I would anticipate that both projects would be more than 12 months. The fact that the park currently has 11 rides would allow for both of them to be down simultaneously.

We know that prior to the 2017 D23 Expo, the EPCOT plans included:

• A Brazil Pavilion where Disney was putting in $200-250 mil
  • An Imagination Pavilion where Disney was putting in $200+ mil
  • A SSE update
  • A Living Seas Update
  • A update to Living with the Land
All of this was over and above Ratatouille and Guardians.

Also, DAK has 8 rides including the train to nothing and a spinner. It needs at least two additional rides, but the announcement of at least one would be the absolute minimum I would expect. I could also see it being another off the shelf roller coaster making the announcement itself disappointing.

It doesn't solve the Dinorama issue, but to me, Mystic Manor makes all the sense in the world for the next addition to Disney's Animal Kingdom.
I’m not gonna fault the messengers…because it’s not their fault if “company” people lie…

But that was all blabber from WDI (and people in Florida who know/control NOTHING) -Who were notorious for speaking out of turn hoping they can “wish it” into being. Like if there are enough rumors, low energy CEOs who are paid entirely in stock are gonna give in and say “well…guess we gotta do it…somebody get Bank of America on the horn”

And they did that BEFORE digital…notorious. The legends of thunder mesa, fire mountain, the SSE coaster hatched in the same offices.

Dan Deesnee

The problem with doing that is with how long they take to finish projects anything announced at D23 wouldn't likely be open til Epic Universe is open. IMO they don't think Epic Universe is going to affect them.

Look, I don't care how much people hate Bob or the current management, but they are not stupid people.

To not think your biggest competitor right down the road opening a massive third park loaded with extremely popular intellectual properties won't affect you wouldn't be stupid of them, it would be mind-bogglingly, earth shatteringly dumb and short sighted. So much so that if that were the case, the shareholders would likely call for the board of directors and Bob to be replaced due to lack of confidence.

bhg469

Look, I don't care how much people hate Bob or the current management, but they are not stupid people.

To not think your biggest competitor right down the road opening a massive third park loaded with extremely popular intellectual properties won't affect you wouldn't be stupid of them, it would be mind-bogglingly, earth shatteringly dumb and short sighted. So much so that if that were the case, the shareholders would likely call for the board of directors and Bob to be replaced due to lack of confidence.
IMO, they don't care.. They will just push for people visiting both resorts and milk them for all they can when they visit WDW.

EPCOT-O.G.

IMO, they don't care.. They will just push for people visiting both resorts and milk them for all they can when they visit WDW.
I kind of agree with this. They Have already figured out the magic algorithm for staffing relative to expected guests. That doesn’t require multibillions in investments. They don’t necessarily want more people now - they just want to squeeze more money out of those already coming. Building more capacity in a way is cost prohibitive, with no guaranteed ROI

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem with doing that is with how long they take to finish projects anything announced at D23 wouldn't likely be open til Epic Universe is open. IMO they don't think Epic Universe is going to affect them.
They have never really considered them a “threat”. For the first 20+ years it was because they frankly weren’t
…since it’s because an admition to that would not be in line to the Iger narrative to the stock lords that they are impenetrable. And that’s what they horse trade on.

Stupid is relative. I think when you paint into the corner and you still have to sell to people that give zero s about your parks that they’ll make more money off you today?…you try to lie your way out of it everyday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom