News D23 Expo 2019

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hold up. D23 made a live stream of the presentation available to at least one media member at an AMC theater. So they had the infrastructure all in place, they just chose not to give the public access to it.

My current theory for why they didn't is either 1) copyright issues with music in the show (especially unreleased music), or 2) streaming would increase appearance fees for celebrities who are part of the presentation. The same would apply apply to the Disney Studios and Disney+ panels.

It was interesting that during the official live stream of the Disney Legends ceremony they introduced Christina Aguilera but then cut away while she sang.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yeah, Brazil is too unstable to pay for it.

All the other countries pay for their pavilions I believe.

" The original idea was to create a Nordic Pavilion that would combine elements from various countries into one exhibit. Three countries were consulted, but it finally ended up with investors from Norway raising the US$30 million required to create an exclusive national pavilion. Disney contributed the other one-third of the construction cost. In 1992, the investors sold their stake to Disney. Since nearly as many people visit Epcot as live in Norway, the government felt it still was a good promotional tool for their tourism industry. The federal government continued to contribute US$200,000 annually for five years to help fund the exhibit. Renewed in 1997 for a further 5 years, the government stopped payments in 2002, against the recommendations from their American embassy.[2] "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_Pavilion_at_Epcot

I believe that few, if any of the pavilions are supported by their host countries anymore.

bubbles1812

But do “casual fans” go to D23 and wait hours to get into that presentation? So the point is that most of those people in that room are in the same boat as us ... they know all that too ...
True. But the presentation isn’t geared just to the people in that room. Otherwise, media wouldn’t be invited. That’s why a media presentation was held Friday.

In fact, I would say the media are probably the most important attendees from Disney’s perspective. They are the ones that are going to tweet, write articles, etc to get the word out and drum up excitement in the general public. To get more people to come to the parks.

The people in the room are the cheer section. Disney already has their dollars.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
We got a lot of news about Epcot and I am also hoping they did not say imagination yet because they cannot close everything at the same time. I hope. That is the reason.

Hmm, what attractions are closing though? Only SSE will close, and Universe of Energy closed a while ago. Doesn’t everything else in Future World stay open? I think Imagination is the most outdated and they could easily close it. It will look even more dated when everything around it gets revamped.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So they're not really replacing anything in Epcot besides the Innoventions building....correct? So why the doom and gloom about Epcot NOW instead of when the other things happened before? Just because they didn't announce more stuff yet?

I still don't get the IP going to SSE, but I haven't watched Moana. I seriously doubt they'd throw that IP in there when they have another Moana themed area near the Seas and because it's such an icon.

bclane

But do “casual fans” go to D23 and wait hours to get into that presentation? So the point is that most of those people in that room are in the same boat as us ... they know all that too ...
I hear you and you make a good point, but some of the commentary about expectations for the event (before it started) on the stream I was on was laughable. I think most people were there because they are truly informed super fans and others...not so much. Some people were probably there because their significant other is the super fan.

bartholomr4

My impression is Disney promised us the world at the last couple of D23’s. And they couldn’t deliver it all, and had to take some of it back ( probably for financial reasons, and granted we may not like the fact they pulled them back) like Galaxy’s Edges 3rd ride and cut back on experiences etc, they cut back on Toy Story Land and did it on the cheap, they said they were going to make a theater in the Magic Kingdom, etc.....

I think all of these “over promised investments” have them gun shy. I think Chapek learned a lesson and is now not going to “over promise and under-deliver”.... He took on too much water, and doesn’t want to do it again.... I believe they think it is better to do the opposite and under-promise.... We shouldn’t be too surprised he didn’t disclose anything else on the drawing board, at least until he gains his credibility back.....

Rodan75

What really disappointed me was no night time parade announcement I mean DL gets a new day time parade and we get nothing. What are we chopped liver.

Honestly. I would be surprised if WDW Ops want another night parade. The park is too busy, even with the hub enhancements. Parades bring out the worst in ppl at MK.

tribbleorlfl

I was waiting for over 10...

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
This crackpot story about recent political issues delaying the Brazil announcement that some "insiders" are using right now to try to save their credibilities is a complete joke. These are the same people who yesterday were swearing up and down it was happening.

Brazil backed out MONTHS AGO. Only reason I thought it was still possible and kept mentioning it as part of my D23 Expo predictions is there was the possibility (and still is) of Disney paying for it. But we know how hard it is for these things to get approved these days.
Trusted insiders have contradicted your statement.

I call into account your credibility. Your second paragraph discredits your assertion. Were you misleading your viewers having “known this months ago” or were you wrong? Which is it?

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Were these announcements so crappy or are there amazing insiders on this site?

I think many just discounted much of it because earlier leaks from other sites basically laid out most of Marvel land for DCA... so California people didn't get much of anything new. And the news about the Mickey attraction was limited to just showing concept art for the entrance.

Kman101

That’s all D23 has ever really been.

And as far as “we’ve known known all this”... who is the we in this case? This board and really any Disney board still represents a small portion of Disney fans. Most don’t spend weeks/months/years speculating on what’s coming, helped along by insiders.

Certainly more casual Disney fans (of which there are probably many more than super fans) didn’t know all these things. We just spoiled ourselves with the details in advance.

The D23 expo CATERS TO FANS LIKE US. Everyone in that audience knew just about everything like we all did. Everything talked about has BEEN TALKED ABOUT. The Bahamas resort is true news, but if anyone even sniffs around rumors they knew.

I agree we're spoiled ahead of time and it ruins these things for all of us, but they managed to surprise us in the past and this one was just a recap, basically. That's fine for a hype panel but they should leverage D23 better.

JMO of course ;)

Figments Friend

What's with this IP in SSE talk? Can anyone elaborate? I must have missed that.

During the presentation covering the plans for Spaceship Earth's new 'enhanced' interior show, there was a quick clip of animated, pre-viz concept art showing elements from 'Moana'.
Namely, her iconic boat and the glowing 'spirit ' manta ray character that represents her deceased grandmother in the film.
It was shown to be one of several new elements / show scenes in the updated Attraction.
-

Kman101

True. But the presentation isn’t geared just to the people in that room. Otherwise, media wouldn’t be invited. That’s why a media presentation was held Friday.

In fact, I would say the media are probably the most important attendees from Disney’s perspective. They are the ones that are going to tweet, write articles, etc to get the word out and drum up excitement in the general public. To get more people to come to the parks.

The people in the room are the cheer section. Disney already has their dollars.

I think we're just looking at how they should do this differently.

This was by far probably the most lackluster resorts panel. It's getting panned. I don't recall this kind of reaction in years past (besides the usual gripes)

They could have at least teased some new things on the horizons ;) past the current crop of (you've known most of this for at least four years but here's FINALLY a name, which is horrible ... etc.)

Kman101

I was waiting for over 10...

I'd be kinda ed, in all honesty, if I waited that long just for a recap and a few bits of new things. So I guess it says who they're really doing this expo for.

They really need to leverage D23 better (I guess some disagree and don't see the real reason we're all let down).

The casuals aren't in the seats, TRUE FANS are. So I guess they don't care who knows what at the end of the day. I just think they should handle it differently. They view it differently I guess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom