News D23 Expo 2019

Darth Snips

Whatever it takes.

Have fun! :D
Here’s hoping you’ll get to see Spidey come home (again)!

AdamNV87

Lady and the Tramp trailer

I'm torn on this.

While it looks really good, I'm disappointed it's not getting a theatrical release. But if it did get a theatrical release, then comes the question of: Would it be another Dumbo (good, but not popular enough to bring much financial success), or continue the successes we've seen this summer from bigger names like Aladdin and TLK.

After Dumbo, I can see why Disney wouldn't want to take the theatrical chance with this one, even though it looks good enough that I'd pay to go see it.

brb1006

I'm with you, there's A LOT of old Disney content that I would want on Disney+

The old anthology show, 80s and 90s Disney Channel programming, WWoD movies, Disney Afternoon Shows, vintage cartoons etc.

It's nice to have Blu-ray releases through Disney Movie Club of movies like The Black Hole, but Disney+ is ideal for all that TV and short stuff.
I’ll help you... it’s a disgusting and gross feeling.
I swear if we see a pictures of Homer, Lisa, Maggie, Marge, and Bart posing with Mickey or any of his friends like this in the next two days. I'm going to lose my mind.
ECtKOdDUEAIMibt.jpg:large

Sharon&Susan

I'm with you, there's A LOT of old Disney content that I would want on Disney+

The old anthology show, 80s and 90s Disney Channel programming, WWoD movies, Disney Afternoon Shows, vintage cartoons etc.

It's nice to have Blu-ray releases through Disney Movie Club of movies like The Black Hole, but Disney+ is ideal for all that TV and short stuff.
Bill Farmer HEAVILY implied that Goof Troop was coming to Disney+.

bubbles1812

Bill Farmer HEAVILY implied that Goof Troop was coming to Disney+.
If they allow streaming of the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Gummi Bears, with honorable mention to the original Duck Tales, my inner child will do a happy dance.

Can Disney stop doing "live-action" already existing animated movies. for god sake.
Nope. For better or worse, most of the movies have made bank. I think Dumbo is the only one so far that has been a non-success? Aladdin certainly exceeded expectations. From a TWDC corporate perspective, I’d totally keep making them too.

From a fan perspective...meh, totally agree, they are unnecessary... but I’ve still seen most of them. (Doh!) Cinderella has been my favorite.

Last edited:

Speedy71

Nope, there's already more in the works (mostly being untitled for now).
Nope. For better or worse, most of the movies have made bank. I think Dumbo is the only one so far that has been a non-success? Aladdin certainly exceeded expectations. From a TWDC corporate perspective, I’d totally keep making them too.

From a fan perspective...meh, totally agree, they are unnecessary... but I’ve still seen most of them. (Doh!) Cinderella has been my favorite.

Gotta agree even tho they are unnecessary. They are bringing in the big bucks If the target audiences keep throwing money at it why stop?

waltography

Gotta agree even tho they are unnecessary. They are bringing in the big bucks If the target audiences keep throwing money at it why stop?
I don't know if it's completely unnecessary; I'd love Disney live actions more if they used it as an opportunity to bring something new to the table that the animated classic may not have been able to due to the time period it was made in. I'm excited for The Little Mermaid, for instance (and I was excited for Mulan up until the actress made horrible remarks regarding HK).

Speedy71

I don't know if it's completely unnecessary; I'd love Disney live actions more if they used it as an opportunity to bring something new to the table that the animated classic may not have been able to due to the time period it was made in. I'm excited for The Little Mermaid, for instance (and I was excited for Mulan up until the actress made horrible remarks regarding HK).

Honestly all of the live-action iterations that I have seen (except dumbo) are pretty much beat for beat the same as the original animated versions they are based off of. Yeah there are some differences here or there but they pretty much have the same outcome. Disney is banking on our nostalgia of the animated movies to get butts in seats.

waltography

Honestly all of the live-action iterations that I have seen (except dumbo) are pretty much beat for beat the same as the original animated versions they are based off of. Yeah there are some differences here or there but the are pretty much the same outcome. Disney is banking on our nostalgia of the animated movies to get butts in seats.
You're correct. I'm talking about what I think they should be doing with the live actions; perhaps a better way of phrasing it is "the live actions don't need to be unnecessary," but the way they're making them right now makes them that way.

Magenta Panther

I'm torn on this.

While it looks really good, I'm disappointed it's not getting a theatrical release. But if it did get a theatrical release, then comes the question of: Would it be another Dumbo (good, but not popular enough to bring much financial success), or continue the successes we've seen this summer from bigger names like Aladdin and TLK.

After Dumbo, I can see why Disney wouldn't want to take the theatrical chance with this one, even though it looks good enough that I'd pay to go see it.

It would be a resounding flop.

The only live-action-from-animation-cash-grab movies that seem to do well are the films derived from the animated versions millennials saw at the theaters as kids - movies like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. Dumbo was well before that time and so doesn't have the resonance the Silver Age movies do. Lady and the Tramp is similar. So yeah, likely it wouldn't do well. Not that I'd personally see it in any venue whatsoever. Who needs it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It would be a resounding flop.

The only live-action-from-animation-cash-grab movies that seem to do well are the films derived from the animated versions millennials saw at the theaters as kids - movies like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. Dumbo was well before that time and so doesn't have the resonance the Silver Age movies do. Lady and the Tramp is similar. So yeah, likely it wouldn't do well. Not that I'd personally see it in any venue whatsoever. Who needs it?

Cinderella is a millennial's nostalgia film?

Stop making stuff up just so you can continue your Disney bash spree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom