News D23 Expo 2017

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Yea, that space is due for a new use but I think there is only so much info you can pump into these D23 sessions and get your money's worth. They got plenty of buzz out of what they announced and keeping a few things back gives them future firepower. They have a few years to roll out more but I would think that a whole new concept going into Stitch and Laugh Floor would really top off the tomorrowland overhaul. Of course I think Speedway, Buzz, Carousel of Progress, People Mover and Space Mtn. all need some TLC to bring them up to date too.
Yeah, I agree with that. Speedway I thought was going to get some love (Or taken out altogether). Tomorrowland does need it overall. I remember the days where I didn't want to leave it, now it's the place where we spend the least amount of time.

Father Robinson

Curious, are the little triangle-like shapes above that blue (fountain/pool) in the walkway supposed to be drones? Maybe for the drone tech they were experimenting with some time ago?
epcot-future-world-concept-art-d23-expo-230-620x370.jpg

Cesar R M

I'm reading the Orange Mission will still be to Mars, but with updated display systems. Does this just mean the SAME mission with better resolution and graphics or a different mission or tweaked?
I just hope they do the same with Space Ship Earth.

Those Playstation 1 graphics are dreadful. Same with the ones in Test Track. At least SSE has style.

TDL

So I don't post very much, but am a long time lurker. I was ironically at Disneyland this past weekend (got to see the new Fantasmic, which was great!) and just now am catching up on all this news. So quick grab bag of my thoughts...

Pretty much the only thing I have a problem with is the overload of Pixar stuff. Between Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, the Pixar parade. I believe there is already at least one Pixar attraction at literally every one of the American parks too, and those aren't going away. I'm getting Pixar overload...when honestly they're a smaller part of the Disney family and shouldn't have this much presence in the parks. But it is what it is, I know Lasseter is the reason for it all.

Big question: What the hell is going to happen with Star Tours? In Disneyland it's on the opposite end from where Galaxy's Edge will be...are they going to move the ride over there? I can't see them scrapping it entirely after just recently updating it and continuing to add scenes from new films...

In Fact, I feel like all of Tomorrowland at DL is in need of a complete revamp. There's so much Star Wars happening there with the launch bay and the theatre playing that dumb montage video in addition to Star Tours. All this stuff can't continue to exist once Galaxy's Edge opens. So what's going to take its place? And of course there's the continuing space wasters with the Subs and Cars. The fact they haven't said anything on this is really puzzling.

Tomorrowland in MK has some on-going problems too with the Laugh Floor, Cars, and Stitch...but at least they're getting Tron.

Regarding Epcot and the IP debate...The park has been stagnant for ages and the Ellen ride has been a waste of space for a long time. I'm all for the changes here. They're finally doing stuff. I don't get the people revolting against any of the new additions. I think some people will complain about anything changing, but that's the way the world (and these parks) work. They change. And that's great. At least a lot of new things are finally happening.

I don't think it matters if an IP is used, it has always been a part of Disney Parks all the way back to Snow White's Scary Adventures. Deal with it. Ratatouille fits in at France just fine. GotG isn't a perfect fit at Future World, but it's also not completely out there either...especially if they end up revamping that side of it into a more general "Space" land or something, which is very possible. Love the stuff they're doing with expanding the Mission Space Pavilion, both with the new (and different) green ride and the restaurant.

Also think it's great they're redoing and opening up the center of what's currently Future World. It is going to feel very different and open, which is great. Still hoping some of those rumored country pavilions get announced, but there's plenty of time for that to still happen for the 50th/Epcot's 40th.

doctornick

So, between was was announced and what I believe is yet to be announced, I can not see how any WDW fan will be disappointed come the 50th. Yes, EPCOT is EPCOT in name only, but you will have to be a trolling doom and gloomer if come 2021 you are not happy

Especially if there is more potentially to come that was not announced (UK ride, Brazil pavilion, SGE replacement and Speedway update, etc.).

Bairstow

So I don't post very much, but am a long time lurker. I was ironically at Disneyland this past weekend (got to see the new Fantasmic, which was great!) and just now am catching up on all this news. So quick grab bag of my thoughts...

Pretty much the only thing I have a problem with is the overload of Pixar stuff. Between Toy Story Land, Pixar Pier, the Pixar parade. I believe there is already at least one Pixar attraction at literally every one of the American parks too, and those aren't going away. I'm getting Pixar overload...when honestly they're a smaller part of the Disney family and shouldn't have this much presence in the parks. But it is what it is, I know Lasseter is the reason for it all.

Big question: What the hell is going to happen with Star Tours? In Disneyland it's on the opposite end from where Galaxy's Edge will be...are they going to move the ride over there? I can't see them scrapping it entirely after just recently updating it and continuing to add scenes from new films...

In Fact, I feel like all of Tomorrowland at DL is in need of a complete revamp. There's so much Star Wars happening there with the launch bay and the theatre playing that dumb montage video in addition to Star Tours. All this stuff can't continue to exist once Galaxy's Edge opens. So what's going to take its place? And of course there's the continuing space wasters with the Subs and Cars. The fact they haven't said anything on this is really puzzling.

Tomorrowland in MK has some on-going problems too with the Laugh Floor, Cars, and Stitch...but at least they're getting Tron.

Regarding Epcot and the IP debate...The park has been stagnant for ages and the Ellen ride has been a waste of space for a long time. I'm all for the changes here. They're finally doing stuff. I don't get the people revolting against any of the new additions. I think some people will complain about anything changing, but that's the way the world (and these parks) work. They change. And that's great. At least a lot of new things are finally happening.

I don't think it matters if an IP is used, it has always been a part of Disney Parks all the way back to Snow White's Scary Adventures. Deal with it. Ratatouille fits in at France just fine. GotG isn't a perfect fit at Future World, but it's also not completely out there either...especially if they end up revamping that side of it into a more general "Space" land or something, which is very possible. Love the stuff they're doing with expanding the Mission Space Pavilion, both with the new (and different) green ride and the restaurant.

Also think it's great they're redoing and opening up the center of what's currently Future World. It is going to feel very different and open, which is great. Still hoping some of those rumored country pavilions get announced, but there's plenty of time for that to still happen for the 50th/Epcot's 40th.

By the time Star Wars Land opens, Hong Kong's exclusivity agreement for the Iron Man ride will have expired, correct?

michmousefan

I'm sorry, "Pixar Pier" has to be the dumbest thing out of the entire presentation. First GotG Mission: Cash Grab at DCA and now this? Did they not just spend big bucks renovating Paradise Pier into a charming boardwalk from the early 20th century? What will become of the recently redone rides like Goofy's Sky School and Silly Symphony Swings? Please tell me they aren't touching Mickey's Fun Wheel! At least I got to visit DLR in 2015 before they started making these awful decisions.
It's is an odd decision... even this dude in the concept art is scratching his head trying to make sense of it all!
scratcher.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom