News D23 Expo 2017

brb1006

I'm really hopeful for the Mickey Mouse ride. I'm glad they are doing something original. It is giving me "Race to Death Valley" vibes, and I wouldn't be shocked if they used a similar plot with maybe Pete chasing them along the railway in a race to get treasure or something. Since this is going to be in the style of the modern shorts, I'm hoping for lots of references. The fab five and Pete are nice, but I'd love to see other mouseverse characters like Horace, Clarabelle, Oswald, Chief O'Hara, the Phantom Blot, and Sylvester Shyster (yeah the last three are unlikely, but you never know, the cartoons love their cameos).
They better include Oswald or any of the older Disney characters or riot!

brb1006

So about the Minnie Vans, I really wish they create a par of separate Uber Vans with better theming such as one themed to the Haunted Mansion (Perfect for the Halloween seasons) or to Journey Into Imagination.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
thanks to @themeparkjosh who posted a comparison photo between the Epcot concept art and the existing layout

I made my own version of them side by side.

Some things I noted....the Imagination attraction is off to the left, so not worth mentioning as it is out of frame...the pathways around the old Odyssey restaurant look different...what I thought was in the middle of the world showcase lagoon at first is actually just at the very front area before reaching that area.

The entire communicore/innoventions area looks to be replaced by trees, was Joe Rohde involved in this? (joke)

(Crap, looks like I need another hosting to post the photo)

https://twitter.com/themeparkjosh/status/886402184442761218

Last edited:

brb1006

I must say that this was easily the best P&R presentation yet. It was mostly rumor confirmation and I do have a few quibbles, but I'm overall very impressed. Let's look at the rundown.

SWL: Couldn't be more impressed with what details were revealed. Can't wait for this to open at DHS (not so much at Disneyland, however).

The Great Mickey Ride: Big missed opurtunity. This could've been a great concept for a ride, but the fact that this is based on the Disney Channel shorts kinda kills it for me.

Ratatouille ride in Paris: Again, this is a great idea, but as the WDS version showed, it depends way too much on screens. Hopefully, improvements are made in this regard.

China circle vision refurb: I very much appreciate Disney circling (pun intended) back on old tech. Noting to complain about here.

Future World 3.0: Absolutely love what I see so far. The concept art is very reminiscent of Project: Gemini which made me geek out. Very happy about specifics.
  • GotG ride: While I would've ideally preferred this open at DHS so that it could open the door to the (admittedly unlikely and if likely, very far off) possibility of Disney striking up some sort of deal with Universal and making a full on MCU land much like what they're doing at DCA, this very much appears to be the GotG ride I've wanted to see since August 1st 2014. And on top of that, it's thematic integration into Future World and Epcot as a whole is way better than ever could've imagined it being and actually makes some sort of sense. And given how impressed I was by the compromise that was Mission: Breakout, I cannot wait to see the real deal come to fruition over the next few years.
Side note: given that the Tron Coaster will be built right on the WDRR, I hope this opens up the opurtunity for the addition of our very own Primeval World to be added during WDRR's inevitable refurb.

• Mission: Space refurb: I would've preferred it to be replaced by a full on space pavilion, but this will definitely be a solid improvement.

• Space restaurant: This concept sounds absolutely wonderful. Makes me wish for that full on space pavilion I mentioned earlier. Overall, I'm beyond excited for Future World's future and hope that further announcements move in this very positive direction.
Minnie Vans: indifferent to. Next.

Gondola system: Very happy to see the Skyway return as full on transportation. Hopefully, you'll have the option to look out the windows and not just watch the character videos.

Marvel hotel at DLP: Looks absolutely amazing. If I ever end up at DLP, I'd definitely like to check it out.

Star Wars hotel: This will definitely be one of the best hotels Disney has ever built. It'll probably cost a fortune and have a mile long waiting list, but I'd love to stay there one day.

DVC: Sick to death of this greedy BS. Next.

Tron Coaster: Better than nothing for MK I guess. Judging purely by the videos from SDL, it seemed to be a bit too short and by extension, a bit of a disappointment, but at least said disappointment isn't taking up the Speedway plot which I hope is one day used for multiple spectacular attractions. What MK really needs for it's 50th is a full on Space Mountain refurb so let's hope this addition finally convinces TDO to give the green light.

Main Street Theater: This is a completely unnecessary addition that I'm very concerned about. Not only could an attraction of this scale negatively affect Main Street's crowd flow, but it looks to be wildly out of scale as well. All we can do is hope for the best.

Beauty and the Beast musical: I wish that they just stuck to the animated version and ditched the live action, but at least they'll hire professional singers to play Belle this time.

3 more Cruise ships: Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully, this will help them expand to new locales.

Toy Story Land construction update: Construction update video was cute. Land looks fine. Next.

Pixar Pier: Because screw the California theme, right? Seriously though, if they just don't care about the theme of this place anymore, then why not do something else entirely. I understand why they would want to salvage TSMM, but I think they should've either gone about it differently or just done nothing at all

PTN/Pixar Play parade trade off: Yes, I can in some ways agree with others that PTN is probably a better tonal fit for DCA, but it still sucks that a truly modern night time parade won't be rolling down Main Street anytime soon. I also really hope that the Pixar Play Parade doesn't replace Soundsational. Not only is that parade newer, it is also way better.

Marvel Land: Very disappointed that vitually nothing was revealed, but I am very happy to hear that Spider-Man is going to be one of the rides. Spider-Man Homecoming is now one of my absolute favorite MCU films so hopefully the ride lives up to it.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on this presentation. Also, can anyone explain to me what Chapek was hinting at in the cryptic warehouse portion. Thanks.
WDW finally creating it's own big warehouse (Especially for the parades)?

Cesar R M

Anyone got a full resume with links to what has been announced?
This thread goes all the way back to 2016 and its a nightmare to check every single post for info.

wdwfan4ver

After some reflection, I have a nagging question.

How in their right minds do they think anyone can take Hollywood Studios seriously after the closure of GMR?

A lot on the horizon, but the next 18 months...wow.
True, and I don't think the park is ready for Star Wars Galaxies Edge when it opens. I really question Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Rail being open by the time WDW's version of Star Wars Galaxies Edge opens. If that attraction isn't open before that new land opens, that park will be hurting.

Nj4mwc

Yes it would be. But as they are using the trashy 21st century Disney Channel art vice the classic art as a basis, I doubt it will be anything this classy. Sell-out to the kiddie crowd...
I don't think it's selling out to the kiddie crowd it's protecting Mickey. I want more classic Mickey, rides, movies, everythin, but It seems like Disney doesn't want to take any risks with their flagship character which is why they went with the new cartoons. If it fails it's not really Mickey failing

wdwfan4ver

I blame TDO and Burbank for DHS only having 4 rides open from August 14th of this year to summer of 2018. There is no excuse for this and I rather not go into details because I mentioned it enough times in the past about the screws TDO and Burbank did to this park.

They set themselves up for this mess years ago and I call DHS the biggest rip off if you use a single day ticket during the August 14th of this year to summer of 2018.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Anyone got a full resume with links to what has been announced?
This thread goes all the way back to 2016 and its a nightmare to check every single post for info.

Here..

CONFIRMED:
  • Anaheim Star Wars Land will open first!
  • Mickey's and Minnie's Runaway Railway coming to Hollywood Studios! It will be a state-of-the-art attraction, with a new theme song designed for the attraction. It will be a ride through a cartoon short! And more hidden Mickey's than anywhere else!
  • EPCOT:
    • True to original vision, while more timeless, more relevant, family, and Disney
    • Tom Fitzgerald will be leading this project!
    • Ratatouille Attraction in France Pavilion! Based on the one at DLRP
    • New film for China Pavilion! Digital, CircleVision confirmed!
    • Redevelopment of Future World!
    • GOTG Coaster! Fans will be given a sense of wow. Storyline will based of Peter Quill visiting the park as a kid.
    • Mission Space to get a new mission!!!!! [MrP Edit: Orange gets updated visuals by ILM; Green gets new mission more kid friendly, a tour of Earth from orbit]
    • New TS Restaurant coming next to Mission Space!
  • Magic Kingdom:
    • TRON Coaster from SHDL!
    • New Theater coming as well!
  • Disneyland Paris' Hotel New York to get a Marvel makeover!
  • WDW's new Star Wars Hotel will be innovative and will be immersive!
  • Disney's Rivera Resort coming as well!
  • Point to Point Transportation (Minnie Van Service) coming!
  • Disney SkyLiner confirmed!
  • New Beauty and The Beast show coming to DCL
  • Ellen's Energy Adventure and Great Movie Ride will have their last day on the SAME day (August 13, 2017).
  • Not 2, but 3 NEW ships, will join the DCL fleet, by 2023!
  • Toy Story Land - Opening Summer 2018! HWS and SHDL!
  • PixarFest coming to Disneyland Resort next summer!
  • PTN coming to DCA! New Float as well!
  • Paradise Pier becomes Pixar Pier next summer!
  • Citizen's of Radiator Springs will be celebrating Halloween this year!
  • Marvel expansion coming to DCA:
    • Spiderman and Avengers joining alongside GOTG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom