News D23 Expo 2017

JEANYLASER

I hope Tron ride to come to Disney World I hope to be official in D23! And a new name for the Studios I hope to be Disney's Hollywood Adventure.:cool:

Kamikaze

Friday morning, Day 1 of the Expo, is the worst morning to enter.
This is when you have to deal with all the hundreds of folks rushing in to try and scoop all the Limited Edition merch for reselling almost immediately on eBay.
Why schedule such a major event first thing in the morning on the first day when the doors open when it takes most people an hour+ to just get into the front door..?
Why not push it back until the afternoon..?

The same thing happens at most expos/cons that are for one purpose. They have an opening ceremony first thing with any super major announcements, but at the same time the merch stand opens and people want to go to that for the LE merch. Definitely not ideal, but also not a D23-only thing.

Travel Junkie

TRON is super short but a pretty sweet ride. I would be surprised if it came though with Disney's insistence on only building rides based on mega hit IP's in the states.

Figments Friend

The days and times have been announced for the major panels -

As with the previous Expo, the 'Legends' ceremony takes place Friday morning at 10am.
The Live Action Film panel is Saturday morning ( 10:30 ).
So if ya'all want to attend either, pick out your sleeping bag now in advance.

Animation presentation is Friday afternoon (2:30) and the Parks & Resorts panel is Saturday at 3 ( yay ).
Alan Menken's 'one man concert' will be have two performances on Sunday ( 1:30 & 5 ).

More details here at the official D23 website -
https://d23.com/walt-disney-studios-disney-parks-resorts-take-biggest-stage-d23-expo/

-

larandtra

While I do think there could be some tie in with Tron in some form of attraction, I still dont see them putting a huge eticket type attraction right beside SM, especially when the building would dwarf SM and take away from the sight lines and the image of space mountain being a huge building.
So I would doubt it is the coaster, if Tron is even part of the plans. I still think TL is going to get 3 or 4 peaople eater type attractions, maybe a B and a few Cs, but, I still have to believe they are going to cross balance the park and any Eticket that goes in MK will be in Adventureland. It just seems to make the most sense from maintaining the park balance and reinventing TL without sacrificing sightlines and the atmosphere that is centered around Space Mountain.
Its just an opinion and the number crunchers at WDW would have a better idea of what plan fits better than I do.

djkidkaz

While I do think there could be some tie in with Tron in some form of attraction, I still dont see them putting a huge eticket type attraction right beside SM, especially when the building would dwarf SM and take away from the sight lines and the image of space mountain being a huge building.
So I would doubt it is the coaster, if Tron is even part of the plans. I still think TL is going to get 3 or 4 peaople eater type attractions, maybe a B and a few Cs, but, I still have to believe they are going to cross balance the park and any Eticket that goes in MK will be in Adventureland. It just seems to make the most sense from maintaining the park balance and reinventing TL without sacrificing sightlines and the atmosphere that is centered around Space Mountain.
Its just an opinion and the number crunchers at WDW would have a better idea of what plan fits better than I do.

3 or 4 attractions? I'll be surprised if they get anything more than 1 at MK.

misterID

I'm new to this board and I'm looking for someone interested in buying 2 passes for the Disney Expo. My husband bought them last summer and we unexpectedly became pregnant in October. I'm due the weekend of the expo so I won't be able to attend. We tried to return them to Disney but they were not able to help us and said they could only be transferred to other D23 members. We bought the full 3 day passes for $400 but we would be willing to take $250-300 for them. Please let me know if you know of anyone interested.
I say go for it. Then you can be the first to have a baby at the expo. They might even give you extra fast passes! ;)

prberk

One thing that I wish they would do is hold the Legends ceremony at another time during the Expo, and NOT Friday mornings!

In 2015 a remember a LOT of people were upset that they missed seeing it due to the absolute mayhem of just trying to get into the building that morning.
The ceremony started at 10am, but most outside could not even get into the Convention Center until 11am or after.
You pretty much had to decide in advance to camp overnight for any chance to see it.

Friday morning, Day 1 of the Expo, is the worst morning to enter.
This is when you have to deal with all the hundreds of folks rushing in to try and scoop all the Limited Edition merch for reselling almost immediately on eBay.
Why schedule such a major event first thing in the morning on the first day when the doors open when it takes most people an hour+ to just get into the front door..?
Why not push it back until the afternoon..?

I remember the same thing happening on Saturday morning too...there was a 10am Muppets panel featuring puppeteers and their characters that a lot of people wanted to see, but many missed it by an hour because they were still outside the ACC trying to get in!
Reports at the time said that there were a lot of empty seats in the Muppets panel because everyone that wanted to attend was stuck outside trying to get into the front entrance.

Hoping they will rethink the placement of some of the larger events / panels this year.
-

Yes, I enjoyed most of the expo, but that first morning was brutal, and I was crazy mad that they had us standing in 100-degree weather (remember that, too?) with much of the line in direct sunlight. I lined up a little after 8 as I remember, and it was around 11 when I was finally able to get in -- but by then I was exhausted, overheated, and hungry.

While we waited in the line, which wrapped around past the arena (a separate section at the far end of the convention center), I remember that the arena was empty but they would not even let us in those doors to wait. Finally they brought us water and after arguing would let people come in to the bathrooms.

But it was a draining mess.

Ironically I actually got to see George Lucas announced, but not because I was supposed to. Even though the legends thing was still going on when I got in to the convention center, they were not letting anyone into it -- not because it was full (which was not true, only about half full), but because they had a policy not to let anyone in to one of the presentations once it had started. I let them have it, saying I had been standing in line for three hours, waiting to come in. They didn't care -- even though I had spent gobs of money to get in (not including travel expenses) -- rules were rules. But I gave up and went out to the hallway restroom. When I left the restroom I walked down the hallway and proceeded to open a door to what I thought was part of the exhibition hall, but lo and behold was the back door to the very event I had been arguing to see! And just as a opened the door to walk in, they announced George Lucas to Star Wars music. I looked a minute for someone to stop me, but instead I acted like I was just coming back from the bathroom and just walked on in to one of the voluminous number of empty seats (from all the people who could not get in). I felt a little vindicated -- but I still say that the three hour wait to get in was ridiculous, especially since I had already come over on Thursday night to pick up my registration stuff. It was very discouraging.

So, yes, I had a great time and might do it again, but that Friday morning is almost a deal-breaker. It needs to be fixed.

EricsBiscuit

Went I went in 2015 I just got my D23 membership. I thought D23 members would go in first like they said but instead the people who just got normal tickets went in first! It was a huge mess and I hope this year is better.

RSoxNo1

New Press Release today, not park related but still interesting:

WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS AND PIXAR ANIMATION STUDIOS BRING THREE DAYS OF FILM SNEAK PEEKS, ENGAGING PRESENTATIONS, MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENTS, AND IMMERSIVE SHOW FLOOR EXPERIENCES TO D23 EXPO 2017, JULY 14–16

BURBANK, Calif., June 6, 2017 – Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Animation Studios are once again teaming up to bring a jam-packed weekend of announcements, presentations, displays, and giveaways to this year’s D23 Expo in Anaheim, California.

On the show floor, the two studios join forces for a must-see animation experience at D23 Expo. Artist demonstrations, autograph signings with top filmmakers, fan giveaways, and interactive displays featuring the latest films, including Cars 3, Coco, Olaf’s Frozen Adventure, and Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2, make this booth one to visit over and over again.

The lineup of presentations begins with an Expo tradition no animation fan should miss:

FRIDAY, JULY 14, 2:30 P.M. – HALL D23

Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films, Hosted by John Lasseter

Were you there in 2015 when Ellen DeGeneres and Dwayne Johnson wowed the crowds? When Zootopia’s sloth scene screened for the very first time? And when Randy Newman, Buzz Lightyear, and Woody celebrated the 20th anniversary of Toy Story? Then you know the Animation presentation at Hall D23 is a MUST. Join host John Lasseter, chief creative officer of Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios, as he presents Pixar and Walt Disney Animation Studios: The Upcoming Films. Never-before-seen footage from Pixar’s upcoming feature Coco and Disney Animation’s Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 will be unveiled, as well as surprise announcements, musical performances, and appearances by star voice talent. Cell phones, cameras, and all recording devices will be checked for this presentation.

Additional animation-focused panels include:

SATURDAY, JULY 15, 10:30 A.M. – STAGE 28

The Power of the Princess

Walt Disney Animation Studios invites you to The Power of the Princess, featuring Jodi Benson (Ariel), Ming-Na Wen (Mulan), Anika Noni Rose (Tiana), and Auli‘i Cravalho (Moana)—the talented actresses who brought these iconic characters to life—as they share stories of making their films and the impact of their characters on people around the world. Hosted by Walt Disney Animation Studios animators Amy Smeed and Kira Lehtomaki.

SATURDAY, JULY 15, 12:15 P.M. – STAGE 28

Creating the Worlds in Pixar’s Universe

Pixar’s films are filled with beloved characters living in relatable yet previously unimagined worlds. Join Pixar production designers and artists who have created the mountain tops, oceans, and “monstropolises” in which your favorite characters live. These artists create the setting and cultivate the mood of every scene using extensive research, incredible imagination, and each individual director’s vision, giving life to the amazing worlds in Pixar’s movies.

SATURDAY, JULY 15, 2:30 P.M. – STAGE 28

Olaf's Frozen Adventure: A Sneak Peek at the New Frozen Short Film

Be among the first to see both exclusive and behind-the-scenes footage from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ newest Frozen holiday short film event, the highly anticipated Olaf's Frozen Adventure. The film, which features the talents of the original Frozen cast, as well as brand-new songs, is directed by the Emmy®-winning team Stevie Wermers-Skelton and Kevin Deters (Prep & Landing) and produced by Oscar®-winning producer Roy Conli (Big Hero 6, Tangled).

SATURDAY, JULY 15, 6 P.M. – STAGE 28

The Evolution of Pixar’s Characters

From the waves in their hair to the shoes on their feet, Pixar characters are designed to be full of personality and to tell a story. Hear from the legendary Pixar artists who have created the most memorable characters in Pixar’s history. These are the visionaries who start with an initial doodle and see the evolution of a character through to final animation—the people who let technology influence the art and make the impossible, possible.

SUNDAY, JULY 16, 11:30 A.M. – WALT DISNEY ARCHIVES STAGE

Bambi’s 75th Anniversary

Join us as we commemorate the 75th anniversary and Walt Disney Signature Collection release of Bambi, the endearing, timeless tale of a wide-eyed fawn that has touched generations. Audiences can look forward to hearing personal stories from the voice cast, anecdotes behind the making of this film and its exquisite hand-drawn artwork, and much, much more. It’s groundbreaking animated classics like Bambi that were created or inspired by the imagination and legacy of Walt Disney and still influence many great visionaries and animators today.

Figments Friend

Yes, I enjoyed most of the expo, but that first morning was brutal, and I was crazy mad that they had us standing in 100-degree weather (remember that, too?) with much of the line in direct sunlight. I lined up a little after 8 as I remember, and it was around 11 when I was finally able to get in -- but by then I was exhausted, overheated, and hungry.

While we waited in the line, which wrapped around past the arena (a separate section at the far end of the convention center), I remember that the arena was empty but they would not even let us in those doors to wait. Finally they brought us water and after arguing would let people come in to the bathrooms.

But it was a draining mess.

Ironically I actually got to see George Lucas announced, but not because I was supposed to. Even though the legends thing was still going on when I got in to the convention center, they were not letting anyone into it -- not because it was full (which was not true, only about half full), but because they had a policy not to let anyone in to one of the presentations once it had started. I let them have it, saying I had been standing in line for three hours, waiting to come in. They didn't care -- even though I had spent gobs of money to get in (not including travel expenses) -- rules were rules. But I gave up and went out to the hallway restroom. When I left the restroom I walked down the hallway and proceeded to open a door to what I thought was part of the exhibition hall, but lo and behold was the back door to the very event I had been arguing to see! And just as a opened the door to walk in, they announced George Lucas to Star Wars music. I looked a minute for someone to stop me, but instead I acted like I was just coming back from the bathroom and just walked on in to one of the voluminous number of empty seats (from all the people who could not get in). I felt a little vindicated -- but I still say that the three hour wait to get in was ridiculous, especially since I had already come over on Thursday night to pick up my registration stuff. It was very discouraging.

So, yes, I had a great time and might do it again, but that Friday morning is almost a deal-breaker. It needs to be fixed.

Yep, all of this I recall happening.
It's one of the reasons I have now decided to sit out this years event.
Not going...no interest.

Too much Pixar, too much Marvel, too much Star Wars this year.
That's not a 'Disney Convention' to me, and I've spent the last few months really trying to find something to justify the expense of another coast-to-coast trip.
Nothing has been announced to date that has me excited and feeling that I 'need to be there'.

A shame, as I was kind of looking forward to experiencing another...but not this time around.
I will sit and watch from afar like I have done so years prior.

Good luck to all those actually attending, and I hope you have a good time.
My time seems to be over, so let 20 other people take my place.

-

prberk

Yep, all of this I recall happening.
It's one of the reasons I have now decided to sit out this years event.
Not going...no interest.

Too much Pixar, too much Marvel, too much Star Wars this year.
That's not a 'Disney Convention' to me, and I've spent the last few months really trying to find something to justify the expense of another coast-to-coast trip.
Nothing has been announced to date that has me excited and feeling that I 'need to be there'.

A shame, as I was kind of looking forward to experiencing another...but not this time around.
I will sit and watch from afar like I have done so years prior.

Good luck to all those actually attending, and I hope you have a good time.
My time seems to be over, so let 20 other people take my place.
-

I am kind of feeling the same way. Might still go just to have fun at DL and see the celebrities there for autographs. I enjoyed meeting Tommy Kirk last year, along with DVD (the "Bert" from Mary Poppins whose name cannot be spelled out here) and seeing Keith Coogan and Sean Astin just hanging out and talking with fans. And I have a friend in the area that I enjoy visiting. But, you are right, it seems to be all Marvel and modern crass marketing this time around so far. Not to mention how Oprah became a "Disney Legend" by any stretch of the imagination.

I was actually considering the EPCOT 35th thing at WDW this year, too, but it appears to have already sold out (which should tell them something, but, sigh, probably won't). I am waitlisted. So, it looks like the true Disney fan in me might be out in the cold this year.

I did enjoy seeing DL that year, and I certainly was privileged to meet you in person there. Always enjoy meeting other real Disney fans.

zooey

I am kind of feeling the same way. Might still go just to have fun at DL and see the celebrities there for autographs. I enjoyed meeting Tommy Kirk last year, along with DVD (the "Bert" from Mary Poppins whose name cannot be spelled out here) and seeing Keith Coogan and Sean Astin just hanging out and talking with fans. And I have a friend in the area that I enjoy visiting. But, you are right, it seems to be all Marvel and modern crass marketing this time around so far. Not to mention how Oprah became a "Disney Legend" by any stretch of the imagination.

I was actually considering the EPCOT 35th thing at WDW this year, too, but it appears to have already sold out (which should tell them something, but, sigh, probably won't). I am waitlisted. So, it looks like the true Disney fan in me might be out in the cold this year.

I did enjoy seeing DL that year, and I certainly was privileged to meet you in person there. Always enjoy meeting other real Disney fans.
In the past what would you have heard by now? They don't release full schedule until I think a week or two before the event, it's always been that way. The archives stage is coming back, so I'm sure a lot of classic Disney will be represented. It's always had that crass marketing side. The Radio Disney crowd has always Been there in a big way. I don't see how this expo is shaking out any different than previous years.

There isn't a large convention anywhere where you don't have to get up early and be willing to wait for what you want. It's just a given, which I understand if that's just not for you. That's also why they offer Sorcerers packages which are way way out of my price range but I don't think other conventions like SDCC even do that. I get in line around 4am everyday and always get into the panels I want. Now merchandise? Never again. I've sworn off trying to get any exclusives at D23. That's the most competitive of all because of resellers. All the people in line for the panels at 4am ARE true Disney fans who just want to see the stars and filmmakers. The merch line on the other hand is a big mixed bag of people who are there to buy and sell.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom