D23 Expo 2015

gmajew

Premium Member
Looking at the concept art, it looks like it shows both sides of Star Wars land, so you walk in via shops and dining, there's a Falcon photo-op in the middle, and heavily decorated ride buildings around the outside.

So based on the art just released, here's my guess for how it fits the layout, along with how the Toy Story land fits in too.

iGEZKIy.jpg
Your missing star tours. And the second ride.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm shocked they didn't also add in a Tie-Fighter spinner orbiting around a small-scale deathstar to add in another family/kid ride...
It sounds like they respect the source material enough to recognize that such a thing would never exist in the Star Wars universe.

(It also sounds like that was part of the original draft for these Star Wars plans, and was bucked in favor of a richly immersive experience.)

BrerJon

I'm shocked they didn't also add in a Tie-Fighter spinner orbiting around a small-scale deathstar to add in another family/kid ride...

There's an awesome looking mega-spinner going into Shanghai that looks like it would be perfect for a TIE-Fighter ride, so I expect that's on the cards too.

CaptainAmerica

The issue is that there's not enough to do at each park to fill a whole day. That means, there really isn't enough to entertain a family for a full week.

The Magic Kingdom has almost twice as much to do as any other single park in Walt Disney World. Filling out the rest of the parks in an equal manner would not necessitate more vacation days from people, but adding more parks would. As it stands today, Magic Kingdom is a full day park, Epcot is perhaps somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 day, and both Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios can be seen together in one day. Three days for four parks. This is part of why Magic Kingdom is so packed - people gravitate back once they're done with the other parks.

Avatar is part of the mission to solve that problem at DAK, as is Rivers of Light and the extended hours for Kilimanjaro.

The changes announced today will of course renew interest in DHS massively, but that doesn't mean there will automatically be enough to stay busy at the park for a full day. We will have to see. I think the people who are concerned that so much has closed and only four attractions have been announced to replace them have a potentially valid concern.

I agree that trying to grow beyond a one-week destination is not a good plan, but right now Disney needs to grow its Florida parks back into a full-week destination. Today has demonstrated that they are clearly on the right track, but they have not yet demonstrated that the problems will be solved. That will come with more details - timeline, attraction menu, entertainment and retail . . . It's great that Star Wars Land is happening, and it looks beautiful, but how it is done means more than just what it will look like. How these additions are done will determine their worth.
NOBODY tours all four parks in three days. Maybe one guest in a thousand. Most people take their time, eat a nice meal, actually WATCH the shows (GASP!), enjoy the scenery. Sure you could tear through the rides in that time but nobody does that, nor is it conducive to maximum enjoyment. I've already proven in other threads that DHS shows alone, even ignoring ANY ride, are enough to fill a park day from open to close. If you're doing DHS in half a day, it's not because there's too little to do, it's because you're skipping half of it. That's on you, not Disney.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's still interesting to point out that James Cameron will balance himself with T2:3D Battle Across Time at Universal and Pandora: The World of Avatar at Disney.....All he needs is an Abyss ride at Sea World and he's got a Trifecta...

jt04

It doesn't look it from the

I took it as read that Star Tours stays where it is so wasn't worth highlighting! Second ride (the Ep 7 battle one) would go alongside the shops, with a possible show building out into the CM parking lot, I presume.

The footprint will be much bigger than Pandora.

BrerJon

Yeah, that's only about 6 acres.

Hopefully then the concept art is just for a section of the land, as opposed to representing the whole thing. They do say that the generic Naboo/Alderaan type planet is just a gateway to the galaxy, so maybe there are other planets they haven't shown yet, in which case they could take over the whole back of the park.

yensidtlaw1969

NOBODY tours all four parks in three days. Maybe one guest in a thousand. Most people take their time, eat a nice meal, actually WATCH the shows (GASP!), enjoy the scenery. Sure you could tear through the rides in that time but nobody does that, nor is it conducive to maximum enjoyment. I've already proven that DHS shows alone, even ignoring ANY ride, are enough to fill a park day from open to close. If you're doing DHS in half a day, it's not because there's too little to do, it's because you're skipping half of it. That's on you, not Disney.
I wasn't suggesting anyone actually does the parks in three days, I was suggesting that they only offer a full three days worth of content. It can just as easily be said no one does everything in all four parks over their week-long trip, if for no other reason than the fact that not everything in the parks appeals to every guest's sensibilities.

Keep in mind, more is planned to close at DHS in the future. If the park isn't a full day park now, imagine what it will be like then before these new attractions open. Plenty of people arrive at DHS in the morning and are wanting for things to do by the afternoon.

The onus is on Disney to provide attractions and entertainment that are worth their guest's time. I've been visiting for 20+ years, so forgive me if I don't want to sit through all the shows again for the umpteenth time. I understand not every guest sees the park that way, but they are responsible for keeping their offerings fresh and interesting if they want guests to come and spend their hard earned dollar. In a lot of cases they do it well - DHS has not proven to be one of them. Disney seems to agree - hence the cascade of closures that is upon us.

Also, maybe scale back on the attitude? My post was perfectly docile and pretty level-headed -- I even agreed with you in parts. No need to GASP! in response.

Clamman73

I say give him The Seas with Nemo & Friends
I'm hoping for a big refurb Living Seas (Finding Dory) that changes the whole paint scheme inside and pluses the "Nemo" ride next year sometime to include a little more science minded introduction to the pavilion like the old days.

I mean...who am I kidding...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom