D23 Expo 2015

juan

The days of increasing net attractions are over. There's more than enough for a family (WDW's target guests) to entertain themselves for a week. Growing beyond a one-week destination makes zero strategic or financial sense because the vast majority of visitors will never stay for that long. "New" is going to mean replacements and upgrades, pretty much now until forever.
Agreed. It's all about the ROI

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The days of increasing net attractions are over. There's more than enough for a family (WDW's target guests) to entertain themselves for a week. Growing beyond a one-week destination makes zero strategic or financial sense because the vast majority of visitors will never stay for that long. "New" is going to mean replacements and upgrades, pretty much now until forever.
And if Disney Resorts were smart they would market Uni as the fifth gate and offer transportation too and from Uni. They could market "Come see the mouse for a week and go see the boy wizard for a couple of days. We will give you a lift".

CinematicFusion

The Studios needs more than that. Disappointed in that regard. I'm sure little stuff like shows but eh. SW Land is amazing but the park needs at least two more rides on top of what they're getting.

I'll hold out judgement until I see the rides.
If the family coaster is solid, two Star Wars rides are outstanding them I'm happy.
We shall see.

SirLink

Seen as there is not enough to at the resort theme park wise for a week yet, bar all international visitors to Orlando - who will stay for 14+ days, ... each park needs more additions. That is also the same issue I have with TWDC that they see it as there is no growth to be had they can still grow the resort by adding more attractions ...

brb1006

Well, maybe will look forward when they have this one in November...
031615_D23-Expo-Japan-2015-feat-1.1.jpg

I won't hold my breath for any other announcements..But, you never know...
I'm actually curious on the Tokyo D23.

djkidkaz

so if SWL is likely to go from Star Tours area out east into the parking lot and TSL is to go from Midway Mania west into backstage, what will be taking the place in Streets of America, Backlot, and Lights Motors Action area?

That's what I was wondering?

brb1006

Wow....just exited the Parks & Resorts panel and i am really glad I was able to get in.
I won't post the big news, or highlights...I am sure folks have already posted those things here already.
It was great.
God bless Joe Rhode...his enthusiasm was awesome.

Being surprised by James Cameron (I'm a fan) and the legendary Stan Lee was epic.
A real wow moment.
The crowd went crazy for Stan.

I left with tears in my eyes as the musical finale acknowledged Cast Members who were all paraded out on stage like a gospel choir.
I really like to see Cast get honored for what they do.
Really nice presentation.

-
I seen a live stream of it, and I loved the medley for the Tokyo and Paris firework show.

Kman101

I'll hold out judgement until I see the rides.
If the family coaster is solid, two Star Wars rides are outstanding them I'm happy.
We shall see.

I'm happy as well actually I guess I just expected a better presentation for the DHS makeover. I know it could come but in that regard I did have my hopes higher. I think there just needs to be at least another two rides and hopefully we get some new shows and a better flow to the park. Just slightly underwhelmed. Wanted something we mostly didn't know about in some form. If they had also announced a name or Cars-lite or heck even a mini Bugs land I'd say they're putting in a large effort and I'd be happy. Tossing in two lands and calling it a day doesn't solve the problems. They're great additions or seem like they could be but I just wanted a bit more.

Yeah I sound ungrateful and greedy and two lands is a huge deal but eh.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Seen as there is not enough to at the resort theme park wise for a week yet, bar all international visitors to Orlando - who will stay for 14+ days, ... each park needs more additions. That is also the same issue I have with TWDC that they see it as there is no growth to be had they can still grow the resort by adding more attractions ...
When I visit I'm super busy for six full days and never make it to a water park like I intend.

lebeau

Pandora: The World of Avatar. Way better than "Cars Land," IMO. Did Star Wars get a name?

Meh. I prefer simplicity. No one is going to call it Pandora: The World of Avatar. It will probably be Avland since they gave it such an unwieldy name.

I could tell you the name of Star Wars land, but then JJ Abram's hitsquad would kill us both.

lebeau

When I visit I'm super busy for six full days and never make it to a water park like I intend.

I find we spend a lot of time on crowded buses or waiting at bus stations for buses to arrive. And then when they do, they are crowded. Since we take an afternoon break, a full two hours of every day is occupied with bus concerns which are rarely ever pleasant.

That eats up a lot of our vacation time which does prevent us from experiencing as many attractions as we would like.

BrerJon

Looking at the concept art, it looks like it shows both sides of Star Wars land, so you walk in via shops and dining, there's a Falcon photo-op in the middle, and heavily decorated ride buildings around the outside.

So based on the art just released, here's my guess for how it fits the layout, along with how the Toy Story land fits in too.

iGEZKIy.jpg

jt04

Based on the concept art, it looks like it shows both sides of the land, so you walk in via shops and dining, there's a Falcon photo-op in the middle, and heavily decorated ride buildings around the outside.

Based on the concept art just released, here's my guess for how it fits the layout, along with how the Toy Story land fits in too.

iGEZKIy.jpg

Star Wars will be much bigger than that. IMO.

gmajew

Premium Member
Here are my thoughts on the day! The announcement of StAr wars land was huge was the big PR move of the day. Then the parks a rec presentation started and I will admit I was excited but then underwhelmed until I really ought about the massive size of the two areas they are building is. 14 acres is a huge huge area for Star Wars. And for it to be an entire land with everything Star Wars it is amazing.

Toy story land is 11 acres of immersive land to be taken over another huge area of this park. Yes it is just two rides but it is an entire new land. I am sure will included dinning and other entertainment as well.

Epcot the arrival of the new soarin way sooner then planned is exciting.

Total budget board approved is now in question though has where is the 350million going at Epcot and Mk everyone was talking about.

The budget for what we are getting in HS makes sense now. It does appear nearly 2b for he lands and the rest for infrastructure.

yensidtlaw1969

The issue is that there's not enough to do at each park to fill a whole day. That means, there really isn't enough to entertain a family for a full week.

The Magic Kingdom has almost twice as much to do as any other single park in Walt Disney World. Filling out the rest of the parks in an equal manner would not necessitate more vacation days from people, but adding more parks would. As it stands today, Magic Kingdom is a full day park, Epcot is perhaps somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 day, and both Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios can be seen together in one day. Three days for four parks. This is part of why Magic Kingdom is so packed - people gravitate back once they're done with the other parks.

Avatar is part of the mission to solve that problem at DAK, as is Rivers of Light and the extended hours for Kilimanjaro.

The changes announced today will of course renew interest in DHS massively, but that doesn't mean there will automatically be enough to stay busy at the park for a full day. We will have to see. I think the people who are concerned that so much has closed and only four attractions have been announced to replace them have a potentially valid concern.

I agree that trying to grow beyond a one-week destination is not a good plan, but right now Disney needs to grow its Florida parks back into a full-week destination. Today has demonstrated that they are clearly on the right track, but they have not yet demonstrated that the problems will be solved. That will come with more details - timeline, attraction menu, entertainment and retail . . . It's great that Star Wars Land is happening, and it looks beautiful, but how it is done means more than just what it will look like. How these additions are done will determine their worth.

TalkingHead

I hope no one's trying to analyze the Star Wars Land concept art for details. Concept art is always exaggerated, and it wouldn't surprise me if this art barely resembles the final product.

But knowing that a lot of fans thought that a giant blue planet was being built behind Avatarland, I expect ya'll to run with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom