D23 Expo 2015

Kevin_W

I just wanted to thank wdwmagic for the summary post - I tried ot keep up over the weekend with the announcements, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

Lynn Stephens

No surprise to see Star Wars Land leading the voting. I am surprised by Toy Story Land at 20% and Pandora tied with Soarin' at 6%. (Numbers are from when I voted....)

Figments Friend

So now that i have a chance to catch up on a little sleep and food intake, I thought I would take a moment to share a few comments about the experience I had at the Expo.

Last evening I took a look around other sites briefly to read some views and find that most of them are really negative.
Makes it seem I was the only person out of the 48,000 or so that showed up and actually had a good time!

I do understand the frustration though with the chaotic way people have to suffer through just to get into the building.
Although I knew to expect a slow entry system and massive crowds due to my pre-Expo research it was still a lousy way to begin your Event experience...especially for a Event with the 'Disney' name attached to it.
I saw some very disgruntled attendees.

It really was nuts on Friday morning.
That wait in the direct sun was grueling and the heatwave weather made for the crowds to have a desperateness to them.
People were confused and angry with each tick of the clock.
Many who planned for attending the morning sessions were severely ticked when they were not even able to get into the building.
Why schedule such high profile panels people want to see in the morning, when they already know only 10% of the thousands lined up will even be able to partake?
I heard later that the Muppets panel featuring some of the puppeteers and characters was only two thirds full because of the incredibly inept entry process.

Saturday I didn't bother showing up at the Expo until 10am, as I didn't want to wait in the hot sun again.
So I missed that scene and walked right in upon arrival.

Sunday it seemed the message being sent by disappointed Attendees was clear regarding the entry system issues, and I noticed a few changes.
Suddenly there were CMs with signs all around you, including all important 'end of line' signs.
During the wait time I experienced, I noticed Cast were also walking through the lines doing trivia games, sing alongside, and prize giveaways.
Also, they were pre- scanning tickets of those already waiting in line, so when the time came to enter things moved MUCH quicker.

These three things alone really made a noticeable difference and improved the entry experience a great deal.
People were actually cheering loudly when the lines started moving.
The vibe was far more positive then Friday's utter mess.
The masses had shouted displeasure, and someone listened.

More thoughts shall be forthcoming.

216bruce

Let's see...panels and presentations I went to (the big four in Hall 23) were all very enjoyable. Crowd distribution and guidance got better as the weekend went on. Saw Lucci and Randy Newman at dinner. Said hi to Tony Baxter and my son met Joe Rhode. Great expo. Thinking that folks on the boards directly influence what the presenters say is laughable. Good job Disney and D23!

flynnibus

Premium Member
So is it fair to say all the energy was in the presentations this year? It seems like the show pavilions were a bit underwelming. The Disneyland archives stuff was nice, but short of the dragon head (are there multiples?) it seemed nice, but not earth shattering. The avatar model obviously was welcome... but beyond that.. was the show floor kind of meh?

And did anyone get the dirt on the fantasmic dragon head...

G00fyDad

I'm sure it's probably already been mentioned here, but can someone please tell me where they are building the Jungle Skipper Canteen?

brb1006

If you are motivated to do so, feel free.
If are can, share a link so I can take a peek.
;)

It might have been my imagination running away with me, but it was almost like he was suggesting that he was entrusting me with the task when I get back to the East Coast to find a way to make WDW management feel a real need to re-introduce the concepts associated with Dreamfinder and expressed in the original Attraction.
Of course both of us would dearly like to see that happen.

Our exchange on this topic was enlightening, as Tony said no one really understood the scope and impact this Attraction and its characters had until the recent success of the comic series.
That success took them all by surprise, as living on the West Coast it was not registering how important it all was to us die-hard Original JII fans.

I am 100% sure Tony himself has been aware of the importance for a while as his referrence is likely regarding others within the Company who had no clue until now how important this Attraction was to people until the comic series.

So the series is seriously helping make it clear the fans have spoken and the message is finally really being heard.
I hope future Imaginners are lessening to this.

Mike K

I've been doing a bit of searching but, couldn't come up with any concrete. Does anyone know if the John Lasseter Studio Collections shirts will be made widely available with the exception of the D23 exclusive? Thanks in advance, guys!

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I've been doing a bit of searching but, couldn't come up with any concrete. Does anyone know if the John Lasseter Studio Collections shirts will be made widely available with the exception of the D23 exclusive? Thanks in advance, guys!

My cousin would love these haha

Figments Friend

I liked the displays they had, and the various ride vehicles and figures from the past.
I thought the Show floor had quite a lot to offer, but as this was my first Expo, I have nothing to compare it to as far previous years go.

I lot of video game related stuff, playing areas, etc.
Shopping options and tons of merch too, of course.
Some of the displays set up for photo ops were fun...the best being Wall-E and Eve.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom